Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers would love to play in New Orleans {title edit}

Draft Austin Rivers would love to play in New Orleans {title edit}

• Austin Rivers would love to play in New Orleans with Anthony Davis and wants to be the No. 10 pick.

"That would be amazing,'' Rivers said. "I had a great work out there. I love [coach] Monty Williams and [GM] Dell Demps, everyone there. It's a great city. I'm actually really good friends with Anthony. We've already created a little chemistry. It would be really neat to play there with a team on the rise. Eric Gordon is going to be an all-star in a couple of years. I'd be really excited if that happens.''

• Rivers worked out for Washington, Portland and New Orleans. He didn't go to Phoenix, but the Suns -- who draft 13th -- did interview him. Rivers said he's better suited to play in the NBA than in college, a point he said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski echoed.

"I can create with the ball and with my ballhandling I can get past my defender and create shots for myself,'' Rivers said. "I'm a good point guard with length.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...otes-nba-draft

I wouldn't mind him, him and Gordon playing on the court at the same time can be good
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

people complaining about him being selfish... but we do need some more offense. As long as Gordon takes the most shots, I could care less as long as we're winning. Davis' game comes in the flow of the offense, so it shouldn't affect him too much

Not a huge fan of how he plays, but Monty and Dell know more than me. He controls the ball too much to be a decent PG IMO.

I would be happy with Rivers. But I still feel like PG is a secondary need to C or SF. I won't be unhappy with most picks that are mentioned around 10.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Not a huge fan of how he plays, but Monty and Dell know more than me. He controls the ball too much to be a decent PG IMO.
    i think my trust in monty is the key factor here. guys respond to him, he's a no nonsense guy and makes his players give the best. I assume Austin should be no different. the pros and cons of a winning mentality... he's going to work hard no doubt, but he's going to want to make the big play. He's gotta watch Derrick Rose tape... not a huge number of assists, but a good number for a scoring PG

So he is calling himself a PG now? I like it....

I've said for a long time we need quickness and scoring ability. He has that, despite that, I've still never liked him as a prospect.

But I will defer to Monty and Dell and hope they know best.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    i think my trust in monty is the key factor here. guys respond to him, he's a no nonsense guy and makes his players give the best. I assume Austin should be no different. the pros and cons of a winning mentality... he's going to work hard no doubt, but he's going to want to make the big play. He's gotta watch Derrick Rose tape... not a huge number of assists, but a good number for a scoring PG
    His turnovers, lack of success at the rim and controlling of the ball all make me nervous. Not sure I ever see him developing into a starting PG, but more of a 6th or 7th man providing some scoring off the bench.

That was mostly because his teammates at Duke all sucked.

Anybody but zeller would be fine... Sorry John Reid...

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    You can make that arguement for a Weber State, but not Duke. Seems everyone wants to pull that card when someone is labeled as a chucker or ballhog.

that is quite comforting haha

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    he should have went to kentucky

always sounds good when a player wants to play here, but we have bigger needs, in Sf and C.

You can make that arguement for a Weber State, but not Duke. Seems everyone wants to pull that card when someone is labeled as a chucker or ballhog.
    Apparently, you didn't watch them play last year. I suggest you go back and watch a game or 2. It was dreadful. No talent whatsoever besides Rivers.

I'd still rather have Marshall if we are looking at drafting a pg; he just fits so well! (and defensively can't help being coached by Monty)...the only person i'd prefer to have over him would be Waiters, but that won't happen sadly

People keep saying we have bigger needs but something is going to have to be addressed in free agency. The draft is just the beginning. Acquiring players isn't over on draft night.

Banned
    Dude was a chucker for sure, however, he doesn't have the talent level or star-power to come in the NBA and do that. Players and coaches will put him in check quickly. What he does have is supreme ballhandling and quickness. If someone can teach him how to run point semi-effectively, with his scoring ability he would make this team a force pretty soon. He and EG in the backcourt??...no answer for that.

PTI thinks Rivers will end up in New Orleans

I wouldnt call a wanna-be Allen Iverson a PG.
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

Quote Originally Posted by PP3istheMVP View Post
    I wouldnt call a wanna-be Allen Iverson a PG.
    He is bigger than Iverson, not as fast or as good an athlete, think if your comparisons even make sense before making one.

Also Iverson is a hall of famer

His turnovers, lack of success at the rim and controlling of the ball all make me nervous. Not sure I ever see him developing into a starting PG, but more of a 6th or 7th man providing some scoring off the bench.
    i agree with everything, but i've warmed up to him at this point because of other options, take the risk on the potential. the last 3 players that leave duke after their freshman season have had success. i've seen what the PG position has become lately. you have your prototypical pure pgs (nash, rondo etc.), your scoring guards (tyreke, westbrook, rose) a little bit of both (deron, paul) and then you have the PGs who don't even bring the ball up the floor (chalmers, sessions), so there are options. Guys around that pick don't seem to fit a need while at the same time having great potential (other than maybe meyers leonard who i'd like). Lamb doesn't really fit and his stock is dropping, skinny defensive guys like henson rarely succeed in the NBA (reminds me of hilton), zellers a long term backup (not a big upgrade of Jason Smith), and guys like Marshall, Perry, Wroten, Harkless (guys with good upsides) seem like reaches at 10.

so unless someone drops, the pick is just starting to make the most sense if we stay put

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    always sounds good when a player wants to play here, but we have bigger needs, in Sf and C.
    You are crazy. Not many players have said that ever. We are a small market team and it is unheard of to hear this from a lottery pick none less.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    He is bigger than Iverson, not as fast or as good an athlete, think if your comparisons even make sense before making one.

Also Iverson is a hall of famer
    I said "wanna-be" he doesnt even touch Iverson's ability and never will so calm yourself bud. I'm implying that Rivers is a ball-dominating guard with a good crossover and doesnt look for his teammates. But if your so sensitive about me using that name ill go Jamal Crawford. Happy? lol

Thread Information