Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Carmelo Anthony Elite?

Well... if taking 30 shots to score 30 ppg = "elite"... then yeah he's elite.

IMO he's not, but since he scores so many points the media will put him in that class. He's far from elite IMO.

Maybe if he had some kind of heart and drive to win. He seems content with his career. He has the talent to average 48-50%+ shooting but he doesn't seem to want to work for his shots. He'd rather throw up an unnecessarily difficult shot than to work and get a good high percentage shot.

The guy has only had 1 good year in the playoffs. He's been in the playoffs for the last decade and has only 2 series victory to show for it.

hes had 3 great playoff seasons, unfortunately one was against the championship Spurs. His Knicks teams have been terrible so u cant really hold that against him

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    He missed alot of games that season that's why he was 5th. They still finished 2nd in the West because of Nene and Chauncey.

Chauncey was still going strong at the point. Plus, that was a deep Denver team, especially their bench.

Melo isn't that valuable of a player. He's only advanced out of the 1st round once in his career. This isn't a KG situation where he was stuck in Minny. Melo played on talented teams. He just isn't that great. He's a high volume scorer, but not necessarily an efficient scorer. We're not taking about Lebron, Wade, Kobe, or Durant. He isn't on their level.
    they were like 9-7 without Melo, obviously better with him. Chauncey was a pretty inefficient scorer and not a great playmaker. Imo not that great of a 2nd option, Melo has never had a great second option, most championship teams have a big 3, which Melo has never had

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Hell Lee Nailon could put up Melo type numbers given the # of minutes and amount of attempts. He's nothing special to me!

I don't think he is elite.

Elite means you are a top 4 or 5 player. In a league with 450 players, the top 1% is 4.5 (hence being one of those 4 or 5 players).

In no particular order
    1)Kobe
    2)LBJ
    3)CPS
    4)Wade
    5)Durant

Carmelo isn't even in the top 15

6)Love
    7)Westbrook
    8)Tony Parker
    9) Bynum
    10) Howard
    11) Rose
    12) Manu
    13) Griffin
    14) Aldridge
    15) Duncan

So no, he isn't elite. I wouldn't build a team around him, unless we are talking about him as my Scottie Pippin (Jordan needed Pippin).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I wouldnt put Blake Griffin in the top 15 players. But completely agree with your stance on elite.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

You can replace Griffin with Greg Monroe. I just don't see Carmelo as anything but a guy who came in with Lebron and has fed off of his hype his entire ride.

Quote Originally Posted by aas3452 View Post
    He is arguably the best scorer in the NBA. Thats elite.
    No he's not.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Nene and Billups were very good secondary options.

Melo ain't gonna sniff a championship.

I will take Pau, Shaq, Tony Parker, Manu, or the group of Rip, Wallace, Rasheed, and Prince, Tyson, Kidd and Terry, KG,Ray Allen and Rondo over them all day

There is no arguing Melo's supporting cast was as good as any that won the championship recently
    Last edited by speedyG; 05-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbow. View Post
    I will take Pau, Shaq, Tony Parker, Manu, or the group of Rip, Wallace, Rasheed, and Prince, Tyson, Kidd and Terry over them all day

There is no arguing Melo's supporting cast was as good as any that won the championship recently
    But you can also argue that Melo wasn't as good as the go-to guys on those teams.

Plus, Pau was just as valuable as Kobe. Same with KG/Pierce.

No way Terry and Kidd were as good as Nene and Billups. Plus, Chandler was the 2nd most important player on that Mavs team.

I put Tyson in there, and they had Marion, I would easily take those 4 over Melo's top 4

You could definitely argue he's as good as Dirk, Pierce or Billups were

People said the same things about Pierce before his title
    Last edited by speedyG; 05-08-2012 at 04:34 PM.

But you can also argue that Melo wasn't as good as the go-to guys on those teams.
    This. I'd take Dirk, Pierce, Duncan, and pretty much any #1 on a championship team over Melo.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    This. I'd take Dirk, Pierce, Duncan, and pretty much any #1 on a championship team over Melo.
    These are also all Hall of Famers.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    These are also all Hall of Famers.
    Sure. But he's saying that Melo is elite and didn't have the supporting cast that the others did. My argument is that even if he did, it wouldn't matter, because he isn't elite.

I dont think he is elite, elite for me is Lebron, Dwight, CP3, and he isnt on those guys level because he doesn't contribute in as many areas, but you could still build a team around him just like Dirk

No he's not.
    i disagree. you do know the meaning of arguably...

Name me a player that can shoot from any part of the court, post you up, bully around defenders and score at will.

lebron= mediocre shooter
    kobe= not strong enough to bully sf's
    wade= too small/ mediocre shooter
    durant= not strong enough to back you down.
    love=can make contested shots but he can't play on the perimeter
    westbrook= mediocre shooter/not strong enough to back down bigger guards

Melo= ding ding ding = elite.

That being said, don't confuse him with being a winner...bc he is not.

If Melo could make shots from wherever he would have won a title by now. I think what you mean to say is when Melo is on, he can make almost any shot. But just the same, he isn't in the top 15 (or the top 5), so by definition he is not elite. Heck I think John Hollingers per has Melo ranked in the 30' or 40's.

Nope, and he gave Amare a bad rep in the process

He is a bigger T-Mac.
    Not elite but can score.
    He will never carry a team to playoff sucess.

Thread Information