Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Carmelo Anthony Elite?

Is Carmelo Anthony Elite?

People have been talking about how great, and how elite Carmelo Anthony is. I don't see it. He is a good sf. He is probably one of the top 3 small forwards in a sf deprived generation, but I don't think he is a guy I would ever want to build a team around. He is compared to LBJ, but he should be compared to Glenn Rice or Bernard King.

Convince me that he is elite.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    No, and from what I've heard inside "NBA circles" he isn't considered elite or a superstar like the media makes him out to be.

You'll get no argument from me. Dude is not elite. Dude is a pure scorer, he's not a superstar, and he'll never be the leader on a champion. He's all ego, no heart. Maybe I'm biased, though; he's my least favorite player in the association by far.

Hall of Famer
    An elite scorer, yes. But that's about all. I consider him to be the new Allen Iverson.

If you can build a team around Dirk I dont see why not Melo..both are great scorers and avarage defenders who dont do much else
    Last edited by speedyG; 05-08-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Denver was a #2 seed with him a couple years back, that's championship worthy. So yes he can be the best player on a championship team. I hate his "effort" on defense though.

No he's not an elite player. A very good to great scorer at times, but that's about it.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Denver was a #2 seed with him a couple years back, that's championship worthy. So yes he can be the best player on a championship team. I hate his "effort" on defense though.
    I don't think Melo was the leader there, though. That year, it was Chauncey who was running the show.

But the big reasons they were number two were Chauncey Billups and Nene. They provided more to that team than Melo.

Here's the win shares from that team in the regular season.

Billups - 9.9
    Nene - 9.3
    J.R - 5.8
    Birdman - 5.4
    Melo - 5.0

Melo did play in 66 games that season, but his win shares per 48 minutes was still lower than the 4 above him. Also, his offensive rating was 105 and defensive rating was 107. No excuse for a player of his caliber to have a lower offensive rating than defensive rating. Now Melo did step up in the playoffs, but Billups still had a higher win share in the playoffs. Also remember, Denver had a super deep team that season so it wasn't Melo or bust that season.

thats why those ratings are flawed, without Melo's amazing scoring ability defenses focus on Chauncey and his numbers go down. Great scorers are the most valuable players in the league

Scorer - Yes; Player - No.

Quote Originally Posted by rbow. View Post
    thats why those ratings are flawed, without Melo's amazing scoring ability defenses focus on Chauncey and his numbers go down. Great scorers are the most valuable players in the league
    That's a flawed argument. We saw how great Chauncey was for the Pistons. He didn't need Melo to be great. Nene was a great scorer in the paint as well. He could open up shots for other players. But Chauncey could always great his own offense. He put up similar numbers during his Pistons days. Plus, Melo missed a lot of games that season and the Nuggets still finished 2nd in the West.

Chauncey was much older and not as good at that point, theres no way that teams gets so far with Chauncey and Nene leading them.

They were also horrible when Melo was playing bad and out for his longest stretch in the beginning of that season

My point is if you go strictly by those ratings Melo is the 5th most valuable player on the team which isnt even close to true
    Last edited by speedyG; 05-08-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Chauncey was much older and not as good at that point, theres no way that teams gets so far with Chauncey and Nene leading them.

My point is if you go strictly by those ratings Melo is the 5th most valuable player on the team which isnt even close to true
    He missed alot of games that season that's why he was 5th. They still finished 2nd in the West because of Nene and Chauncey.

Chauncey was still going strong at the point. Plus, that was a deep Denver team, especially their bench.

Melo isn't that valuable of a player. He's only advanced out of the 1st round once in his career. This isn't a KG situation where he was stuck in Minny. Melo played on talented teams. He just isn't that great. He's a high volume scorer, but not necessarily an efficient scorer. We're not taking about Lebron, Wade, Kobe, or Durant. He isn't on their level.

Billups was averaging 18 a game with 6.5 assists. He was definitely the guy who helped them over the hump. Melo is a good scorer, but I think Billups was the clear leader of that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    We're not taking about Lebron, Wade, Kobe, or Durant. He isn't on their level.
    Well duh, but in my opinion top 15 player in the league is elite. Melo is that.

Well duh, but in my opinion top 15 player in the league is elite. Melo is that.
    Your definition may not be correct. That's a possibility as well.

Yep, Denver is struggling much more than the knicks without the leagues best scorer...

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I think Melo has Elite TALENT. But I think he's a selfish player and I don't recall him ever being in top shape. He's not athletically overwhelming in any way shape or form, but he does have a lot of skills. Until you can dominate both phases of the game, I think it's hard to call anyone a superstar.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's a great #2 guy. But to be a #1 you gotta not just be a player, gotta be a leader. A guy that dudes gladly acquiesce too and respect. Melo doesn't have that. Likes to get his own and forgets all the rest.

Nope. He's not that kinda elite. Still pretty good though. If he were cheaper and available, wouldn't mind seeing him play with Gordon. Wouldn't give us crap on D but whatever. We'd still have Aminu for that.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    People have been talking about how great, and how elite Carmelo Anthony is. I don't see it. He is a good sf. He is probably one of the top 3 small forwards in a sf deprived generation, but I don't think he is a guy I would ever want to build a team around. He is compared to LBJ, but he should be compared to Glenn Rice or Bernard King.

Convince me that he is elite.
    He is arguably the best scorer in the NBA. Thats elite.

Melo can score at will. I think you can build around him to win a championship but its a lot harder with him than others. Amare does not fit with him cause they use the same places on the floor to do their work offensively. He needs an elite point guard around him.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

But I think he is elite, cause at times, he can dominate. But biulding a team around him is tough.... Take a look at that fantasy draft... Elite, should be the top ten players. And he went within ten.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Denver had a great defensive core and decent shooters around him, with a championship experience number 2 guy in Billups, and a big post man in Nene. That Denver team was elite, and had a team around him to where he could shoot to his hearts content. Melo was very very dumb to leave Denver for NY. I really thought that Denver team would have won it at some point.

Edit: to answer the question, Melo can be elite in the right system, but not in NY.

Averaging 24 points on 19 attempts per game over the course of his career doesn't impress me very much. He has the clutch gene, and he deserves respect for that, but I think he's a high volume scorer who doesn't play defense. His attitude is what keeps him from being elite, because if he wanted to be a team player and play defense, I bet he could, and he could probably be elite.

Thread Information