Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aldridge: Robinson vs. Beal

Draft Aldridge: Robinson vs. Beal

Looking at what David Aldridge has gotten from sources, how do you think the league feels about the two prospects?

Beal:

Most of the time, a two guard who shoots 44 percent, and 34 percent from 3-point range isn't viewed as a major pro prospect. And many times, a player who's reluctant to shoot in college is deemed not tough enough to play at the next level.

But Beal, the freshman guard from Florida who announced he would be eligible for the Draft, appears to be the exception.

Beal, who finished second on the Gators in scoring last season, is the choice of just about every pro scout and evaluator I've spoken with, and there isn't one of them who believes he won't be taken in the top five or higher in June's Draft.

"I'm not comparing him to Ray (Allen), but he's the best I've seen since Ray in terms of being able to catch and shoot," said an official from a Southeast Division team -- who, indeed, just compared the 6-foot-3 Beal to Allen, the NBA's all-time leader in 3-pointers.

If Beal is that good a shooter, he'll strenghten any team's roster. He'd be a great fit playing next to John Wall in Washington, or Kemba Walker in Charlotte, or Kyrie Irving in Cleveland. He would be a solid first piece of a rebuilding effort in Portland -- which has the Nets' first-round pick after the Gerald Wallace trade, a top-three protected choice for New Jersey -- or in New Orleans.

"He has a chance to be really good," said a Central Division personnel man. "Super high-character guy, too. He can do a lot more than he's shown. Works his tail off. Just all of the things you want. He's like the flavor of the month."

Said a Northwest Division scout: "He's not tall, but he's big and thick and strong. He has a lot of poise to him. I think he has upside. He didn't have an elite shooting year, but it'll get better. His stroke is good. It's just a matter of taking more shots and making them."

The only uncertainty about Beal comes from his deportment during his one year in Gainesville.

Beal played alongside upperclassmen Erving Walker, the Gators' senior point guard, and junior guard Kenny Boynton, who led Florida in scoring. With two guards that dominated the ball, Beal would often defer.

"The one thing that hindered him was Boynton and Walker were chuckers," said a Southwest Division scout. "I saw him against Arizona and I wanted Bradley to get (ticked): 'Why don't y'all pass the ball?' But he stayed in his lane. If Bradley had played with a better point guard, he probably would have had better numbers."

Beal's numbers do not blow one out of the water. He finished tied for eighth in the SEC in scoring and 13th in 3-pointers made. His player efficiency rating was not in the top 100 in ESPN.com analyst John Hollinger's rankings of college players.

"I like Beal," said a college coach whose team played Florida this past season, "but for some reason he didn't shoot the ball well. The shot looks good, though. I think he has a good feel for (the) game. Athletic, but didn't seem aggressive enough at times."

But in the NBA, Beal's size should be sufficient to play shooting guard. He is strong and physical, and was a very good rebounder for his position -- though one veteran scout cautions that Beal's board work at Florida (6.7 rpg) came, in part, because he was a de facto forward for the Gators playing with two small guards.

"I think he can guard people," the Northwest scout said. "He's really, really strong, very physical. I think he takes it personally. He wants to guard. And if you're going to play for Billy (Donovan) you have to have some of that in you."
    Robinson:

It won't take long for the next power forward to join Davis shaking Commissioner David Stern's hand. Kansas' Robinson got a slight nod among personnel types over Ohio State's Sullinger, but the difference is tiny. Either could go in the top five, depending on who's doing the picking and what they need.

"Robinson's next," said a veteran Western Conference scout whose team won't be picking high enough to take him. "He's probably a more aggressive player. Although Sullinger can step out and shoot the jump shot, whereas Thomas really can't. But if you're looking at the playoffs, you're looking at guys like (Memphis') Dante Cunningham, and (the Clippers') Reggie Evans, those forwards who change the game because they play so hard and they're aggressive and they can rebound. Robinson can do that."

Robinson, whose average of 11.8 rebounds was second in the country last season to O.D. Anosike of Siena, averaged a double-double in getting the Jayhawks to the national championship game. Scouts across the board compared Robinson to Nuggets rookie big Kenneth Faried in terms of the energy and effort he brings to games -- Faried's motor is a little stronger, though his motor is stronger than just about everyone's -- while Robinson's skill level is higher.

Robinson did some posting at Kansas, but he scored most of his points off of cuts, running the floor and energy plays.

"He's not a David West type of guy," a Western Conference general manager said. "He's more a high energy guy. He could be anywhere from a Faried to a young Horace Grant. Like most young guys, he'll get in foul trouble early (on defense) and figure it out by year two or three. He's a physical specimen, now. When you look at his build, he's body beautiful."

At least early in his career, scouts believe, Robinson will have to adjust from being a go-to guy at Kansas to a contributor in the pros, as most college players have to do.

"He'd have to develop into that" go-to guy, another Western Conference GM said. "Right now I would put him more in the mold of a more energetic [Charles] Oakley type-just rebounding, active, be in every play, maybe an enforcer a little bit. Could he be a go-to guy? It would depend on the team, and expectations. Knock on wood, I think he's going to succeed because of his great desire to play."

Offensively, Robinson will need to extend his perimeter game to the foul line and elbows, scouts believe, because he won't have the length inside to consistently be effective.

"I'm not expecting him to measure out as a power forward guy," an Eastern Conference general manager said, "but there's so many small fours playing in the league. He's going to have to get a little better on his jump shot, but his jump shot isn't horrible. It's not broken. But he's going to have to work on that. He isn't [Blake] Griffin, but this kid is gifted. He's an NBA athlete all the way."
    The comparisons are what jump out at me most. But I'll let you provide the commentary.

I know the Thomas Robinson article was supposed to be positive, but that's the first time that I've questioned him. I did not like that write up. When they compared him to Dante Cunningham and Reggie Evans my first thought was "That's supposed to be positive? With a top 5 pick?" I still like him but that wasn't an encouraging write up.

I also found it interesting that Sullinger was still considered a top-5ish prospect by some people. I thought he had dropped a lot further than that. Interesting.

Beal I still like a lot. I know people here think he would be redundant next to Gordon, but he's just a good basketball player. I would be glad to have him.

Don't like the Hornets for either of these guys. Would rather Sullinger who as this article stated is bigger and has a better midrange shot and a better post game. Would still rather PJIII with the second pick over either of them, go for the home run!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Why not take Beal and play a Beal/Gordon backcourt. They are both incredible shooters, they are both great playmakers as combo guards and both can play PGs for short stretches. IMO the two of them togather can work. Gordon is a very good defender and I think some of you fail to realize that. Beal is also a very capable defender because him and Gordon have very similar builds. They are both deceptively strong and athletic. They both can guard PGs and SGs. IMO Henry and Aminu can both be brought off the bench to guard the taller SGs.

I think Robinson will be a double-double guy, but not convinced he will be an All-Star player. At best, maybe Paul Millsap which is still very good. Sully has more upside to me because his overall game is more advanced at a younger age. He does have to condition himself and stay healthy. If he does, he will be a better pro than Robinson. But those are big ifs.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    I know the Thomas Robinson article was supposed to be positive, but that's the first time that I've questioned him. I did not like that write up. When they compared him to Dante Cunningham and Reggie Evans my first thought was "That's supposed to be positive? With a top 5 pick?" I still like him but that wasn't an encouraging write up.
    It makes no sense to basically say he's a garbage man when they also talk about him having to adjust from being a goto guy. Did the offense run through Evans, Faried and Cunningham and their offense just didn't translate to the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    It makes no sense to basically say he's a garbage man when they also talk about him having to adjust from being a goto guy. Did the offense run through Evans, Faried and Cunningham and their offense just didn't translate to the NBA?
    Evans was a go-to-guy at Iowa. He mostly posted up in the paint and dominated the Big Ten. He just didn't expand his game when he got to the league. Faried was seen mostly an an energy guy. Which he still is now. I doubt he will get that much better from what he is now.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Why not take Beal and play a Beal/Gordon backcourt. They are both incredible shooters, they are both great playmakers as combo guards and both can play PGs for short stretches. IMO the two of them togather can work. Gordon is a very good defender and I think some of you fail to realize that. Beal is also a very capable defender because him and Gordon have very similar builds. They are both deceptively strong and athletic. They both can guard PGs and SGs. IMO Henry and Aminu can both be brought off the bench to guard the taller SGs.
    Because neither is a PG. Both's turnover rate would skyrocket if they had to take on the responsibilities of a PG.

Beal Sully draft is fine by me, having beal gives us the option of trading gordon

I'm on the Sullinger bandwagon if his medical concerns turn out to be ok.

While I'm not fully on board with the Kevin Love comparisons, I do think he could have a Kevin Love type of transformation body wise if he goes to the right program. I'm also hopeful he measures like 6'9 instead of 6'7.5 or something crazy like that.

Yeah, I don't see a Beal/Gordon backcourt being the best thing. If we draft Beal, I would rather trade him on draft night unless there's a chance Gordon will not be back. I still like MKG a little better than Beal long-term.

I'm pretty sure Beal is not on the Hornets radar! They need an icon and want Eric Gordon to be the Hornets icon. He is a great young NBA star. Why would they invest a high draft pick to draft his back-up when Monty LOVES Belli (who is Gordon's back-up). I just don't see Beal being an option! I'm sorry dude. I know you have been pushing for him, but you would have to persuade Monty, Dell, and Benson not the HR!

Why would they invest a high draft pick to draft his back-up
    Because you aren't drafting Gordon's backup, you are drafting an asset. If Beal has a significantly higher grade than anyone else when the Hornets draft you have to take him. It's only when draft grades are similar that you take need into account.

How can one say that a top five prospect is NOT on the Hornets radar when the Hornets (or whatever they will call themselves) are seriously devoid of talent. As far as Gordon, star's aren't forced. They emerge. He has talent, and could become a great player. Could. He's not the talent that would prevent you from drafting another potential great player though. I want Davis first. MKG second. But Beal is third for me. Talent wins out. Positional needs are fluid. And we couldn't score a bucket to save our lives last season.

Also, Belli is a free agent.

Some people are starting to peg Beal as a wing player (SG/SF). He is closer to 6'5 than he is to 6'3, and he has a really long wingspan (I believe it is 6'8). He has a really stout build, and I could maybe see us taking him and putting him at SF if he measures out at 6'5 at the combine.

Also, remember that Monty said the other day that they are eyeing a "wing" with our 1st pick (should we not get the #1 overall pick), and Beal fits the "wing" bill because he can play both positions, whereas MKG and Barnes can only play SF.

Beal would be a backup on this team. We need a starter. Period.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure having a scorer coming off the bench is NEVER an issue in the NBA. I doubt he would be a "backup" at all. He'd easily get 20+ min a game.

Goodness let's not have 2 undersized wings. All these threads say size wins championships, don't think having Gordon and Beal on the wings are an option, AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Goodness let's not have 2 undersized wings. All these threads say size wins championships, don't think having Gordon and Beal on the wings are an option, AT ALL.
    Nobody ever said that size on the wing wins championships. Size in the post is important, but skill, shooting, and defense on the wing is much more important than size. EJ and Beal are both skilled shooters who can handle the ball and defend.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I'm pretty sure having a scorer coming off the bench is NEVER an issue in the NBA. I doubt he would be a "backup" at all. He'd easily get 20+ min a game.
    I want my top 5 pick easily getting 30+ minutes. 35+ by his second season.

This isn't a Derrick Williams to Minny type deal. Gordon is likely to be here for a long time, not like Beasley.

Drafting Beal would be a waste of his talents here because he would be stuck behind a potential superstar in Gordon. Not to mention I don't want Gordon or Beal on the wing guarding guys like Lebron, Melo, Deng, Durant, and all those big, strong, talented wing scorers.

And also, for the 800th time, just because you can handle the ball doesn't mean you can play PG. Again, you would see our turnovers sky rocket if we put PG responsibilities on those guys.

I think Beal will be a SG in his career. He may play SF occasionally, but I can't see him doing that full-time.

If he's clearly the best player available when we pick, then we should draft him and trade him to a team who really wants/needs him or trade the pick itself. It doesn't make much sense to draft him and keep him. Plus, IMO, I think MKG rates higher.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I want my top 5 pick easily getting 30+ minutes. 35+ by his second season.

This isn't a Derrick Williams to Minny type deal. Gordon is likely to be here for a long time, not like Beasley.

Drafting Beal would be a waste of his talents here because he would be stuck behind a potential superstar in Gordon. Not to mention I don't want Gordon or Beal on the wing guarding guys like Lebron, Melo, Deng, Durant, and all those big, strong, talented wing scorers.
    Not if he could play SF for us. He is strong enough, and he has the length to do it. He was one of the best rebounding SGs in the NCAA last year, even as a freshman, averaging nearly 7 rebounds per game. He has a great basketball I.Q., and he would make a great pairing with EJ. He would really stretch the floor for us, and the spacing that he could provide would be invaluable.

Beal is a SG, not a SF. His strength and length is far below average for a SF.

Thread Information