Pelicans Report

Thread: My news story on the ownership transfer (including Player/Monty interviews)

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar

My news story on the ownership transfer (including Player/Monty interviews)

I happened to already be at the Arena (working on a story about Chris Johnson) on the Friday that the ownership transfer happened, so I got to do this story about this as well. I've got quotes from Monty, Lance Thomas, JSmith, and a few Bee Zanie members.

Here's the story -

And here's extended cuts of the interviews -

Sorry this took so long to post, I just wanted it to air first, and we haven't had a show in a while. This is for "Sports Showtime" on Tiger TV, LSU's student-run TV station.

Hope yall like it! I'll have my Chris Johnson story up next week

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Oh man, tell the anchor to ditch that jacket. And, oh-em-gee, you're Shaggy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shaggy-High-Resolution-Wallpapers.stillmaza.com-2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	3679  
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

haha i can't tell you how many times I've been told I look like shaggy

Nice work, though. Good as what I see on the local news. Also, it's a plus you have a good voice to go with your tempo/delivery. Some people just have bad/nasally voices and unfortunately nothing they can do about it.

Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback.

Wait... you can be nice? All those comments aren't just coy diversions because you can't comfortably elevate someone? They're legit?

Excuse me, I have alot of readding to do... and I need to look at the story on a laptop... phone browser telling me to jam it...

Hey, I'm honest. If something is good, it's good. If it sucks, it sucks. Most things suck. Only controversial feedback I'd give an aspiring journalist is to be one that strives to ask meaningful questions. Granted, not every occasion calls for something of that nature -- especially if you're doing a small informational piece on the sale of the Hornets for university television.

Just to give an example it would have been nice if any member of the media bothered to ask Gregg Williams (pre disgrace) why his defenses were horrible? Obviously you'd couch it in technical terms and give some stats and examples to back up your question but... you know what I mean. Most Q&A's are the same ol same ol because anyone who asked risky questions would get the cold shoulder.

It is tough to ask these questions when you are looking someone eye-to-eye. Even moreso when you have a more tenuous hold on your NBA ticket (like me).

Still having not got up to deal with the laptop, just up and down on the phone, I still don't know what you did, Rocket Man, but figuring out what they'd want you to ask that people haven't is a good way to build credit. Similarly, including facts they'd want mentioned in those meaningful questions helps . Example, when essentially asking Stern to rip the owners, I didn't ask about any owner in particular. Rather I brought up all the knocks on New Orleans from an NBA perspective plus the relative financial success of making or losing no money. Then I ask what that said to owners who do less with more.

That's just me. Other people are into smack, controversey, playing it safe, sticking to their message, etc. I agree with UP that without meaningful questions you alientate the audience. I also think you'll never distinguish yourself to consumers or employers (good or bad), and you violate the basic principle of.your existence (report information). A constant, unchanging stream of the same thing over and over has no information content.

Yep, I thought that was a good question on your part. The questions that really kill me are the completely banal ones that are asked time and time again to the point where I don't understand why they've even asked: "What did you think of X's performance?" "Do you think your team is ready to play on S/M/T/W/Th/F/Sa?" "How was the crowd?" Etc. When meaningless questions are asked you just get meaningless responses a la coachspeak/playerspeak like "Take what the defense gives you." "Always tough when we play X."

I think the main concern is with distinguishing yourself rather than alienating your audience because, unfortunately, most people seem to like the safe/generic stuff we get today. And there's already an army of internet/radio/print/television journalists asking the same questions. ESPN employs some okay writers, but they also employ some of the worst. Mike Sando, the NFC West blogger usually does a really good job of what I'm talking about -- he focuses on a specific issue, provides factual information to back it up, and gives interesting opinion/analysis. Then you have most everyone else who is crappy like Pat Y-whatshisname who basically just parrots things and makes statements of the obvious or Ashely Fox who rarely even mentions anything pertaining to the game itself and just writes a bunch of fluff gossip/opinion pieces that even people without knowledge of the game could write.

Just to give an example, here are the latest blog pieces by those two ESPN NFL writers:

Sando: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...st-round-picks

Yasinskas: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/pos...for-cam-newton
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 04-25-2012 at 05:17 PM.

I also see no point in asking things that will be used for their own purposes more than get an answer, like "Did the defense play well?" Similar for 'uncle' questions, those, for instance, trying to make a coach say they screwed up, X sucks, whatever.

A better approach would be, maybe, "what are you specifically installing to offset the large number of yards per snap allowed?"

Yep. I didn't mean it to sound like one should ask blatantly leading questions that are more statements. Rather, direct questions backed up by the numbers that are rarely asked. I can't tell you whether or not someone asked about the coverage scheme against Davis on the last few plays of the Saints/9ers game because I -- like many I'm sure -- just went into a rage, shut the television off and didn't watch anything NFL related for days... but... I'm thinking probably no one did. Maybe they did and I'm wrong but I'm guessing the questions were more along the lines of 'what happened?' Whereas I would ask, quite directly, why you'd leave someone in single coverage at such a critical time when he was basically the only receiving threat they had all game (which the stats backed up). Of course, Williams wouldn't answer it but... meh. Or he'd say something obvious like: 'If we got a sack the game would have been over.'

I would have asked how was he open after being open to set up that idiot Smith's run. What was the adjustment that failed.

There is a reason I don't write about the Saints.

Thread Information