Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Article about possible Ariza departure...

Article about possible Ariza departure...

via ESPN insider... Weird that he was told to stay home from the road trip. Hmmm... could we be thinking SF in the draft or does Monty like the Chief that much????

=====
    Head coach Monty Williams informed Trevor Ariza a few weeks ago that his time on the floor would be limited as the starting small forward spot and minutes were going to Al-Farouq Aminu.

Ariza is healthy, but hasn't played since Apr. 7 and signs are pointing to split in the offseason. Ariza was told that he didn't have to join the team on their season-ending three-game road trip.

"My thing is playing basketball, man," Ariza told The Times-Picayune. "Whatever team I'm on or whoever I play with that's who I play with. I don't make those decisions. I just play."

The Los Angeles Lakers might make a run at Ariza if they use the amnesty provision on Metta World Peace. Ariza played well for the Lakers in 2007-08 and 2009-09, but was not retained when he became a free agent.

The Lakers have a $8.9 million trade exception from Lamar Odom and that could be used to acquire Ariza in a deal. Ariza has two years and $14.98 million remaining on his contract.

If he's on the way out getting a TPE and a pick in the 20's in this draft is about as good as you could hope for I think.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    A 1st or a high 2nd, I say!!!

I would be stunned if we got a first round pick for this guy. I think the only way to eat rid of him is to amnesty him or take back salary in return.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I say we try (not saying we will succeed) but try to get a late first and go for mo hark, royce wite, meyers lennypoo or fab melo. If we can possibly get and develope a legit center or SF that late in the draft then our future looks that much brighter.

I find it very surprising that we would be parting ways with ariza although I wouldn't mind it at all. Ariza simply doesn't bring that much to the table besides being a lockdown individual defender. But if that's gonna be your job, you better be Able to hit a wide open 3 on offense like a Shane battier which ariza can't do. Again he's a great individual defender with his length but I'd rather a more talented offensive player that might not be as good as an individual defender but still can play good team d.

With that said, ariza seems to fit into the Monty mold of tough d and playing mistake free. So it's surprising they would want to part ways with him

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I would be stunned if we got a first round pick for this guy. I think the only way to eat rid of him is to amnesty him or take back salary in return.
    Didn't we trade a 1st for Bayless last year? Which in essence became Jack? So Jack was worth a 1st rounder but Ariza isn't? I think that some team will give up a 1st rounder for him. If LA really wants him and plans to amnesty Metta... their pick should come out around 22-28... I would be fine with that. The article said something about the Odom trade exception.

Also... I really think using the amnesty on Oak helps us out more if we can trade Ariza without taking back a bad contract.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    his contract isnt bad and he is a very solid player, we can get decent compensation for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    his contract isnt bad and he is a very solid player, we can get decent compensation for him.
    Exactly... I don't see why we even ship him out unless we plan on drafting Barnes or MKG.. and Aminu gets it done athletically and defensively, so we'd have to think Barnes if we want a shooting/scoring option at SF. Should be interesting to see who gets dealt before the draft; if anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    Didn't we trade a 1st for Bayless last year? Which in essence became Jack? So Jack was worth a 1st rounder but Ariza isn't? I think that some team will give up a 1st rounder for him. If LA really wants him and plans to amnesty Metta... their pick should come out around 22-28... I would be fine with that. The article said something about the Odom trade exception.

Also... I really think using the amnesty on Oak helps us out more if we can trade Ariza without taking back a bad contract.
    Just because player A was traded for a first round pick, doesn't mean player B will be. Both trades didn't happen on draft night either.

Its unlikely we'll get a pick for Ariza, although its possible. Most likely scenario is either a TPE or a bad contract with a late pick.

I agree his contract isn't bad, so I will say we reserve the Amnesty for Oakafor. I think we can get a first from the Lakers, since they will come a calling ( a gift from the amnesty of Metta World Peace and his Elbow. Now way he stays after that ).

The Franchise Contributor wopester's Avatar
    When can you start trading players again? After the end of the season? Draft night?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Here's a trade idea I'm sure no one will like but sometimes... You just gotta let these things out.

Ariza + Minny pick to the T Wolves for Wesley Johnson + Derrick Williams.

We get two young guys with potential who were both top 5 picks in their drafts. Johnson hasn't come close to tapping his potential, and looks to be overpaid on his rookie contract, while Williams is just burried on the bench with Love playing so well.

They get an average SF who defends well on the wings and is on a reasonable contract, and with their own pick back they draft Jeremy Lamb to fill the void at their 2 guard.

Great idea? Terrible idea? Don't want to give up the Minny pick? Minny would never do that? Don't hold back guys, because I sure never hold back on your trade ideas.

we are drafting tRob and barnes, u heard it here

Well i love wesley and williams so im all for it, even though i think williams is a SF but what would we do? wesley and williams would cut into gordon and aminu's huge minutes? idk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Here's a trade idea I'm sure no one will like but sometimes... You just gotta let these things out.

We get two young guys with potential who were both top 5 picks in their drafts. Johnson hasn't come close to tapping his potential, and looks to be overpaid on his rookie contract, while Williams is just burried on the bench with Love playing so well.

They get an average SF who defends well on the wings and is on a reasonable contract, and with their own pick back they draft Jeremy Lamb to fill the void at their 2 guard.

Great idea? Terrible idea? Don't want to give up the Minny pick? Minny would never do that? Don't hold back guys, because I sure never hold back on your trade ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Just because player A was traded for a first round pick, doesn't mean player B will be. Both trades didn't happen on draft night either.
    I know this much, sir. I was simply stating, I think we are undervaluing Ariza's market by saying we'd never get a 1st for him. Bayless went for a 1st just last year and he's definitely a bench player in this league. Ariza is a starter/top of the line 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Where do I sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post

Minny doesn't do it, and I'm not sure I would do it. I would trade Ariza for Johnson straight up, though.

You don't follow my Twitter, I lead yours.

https://twitter.com/#!/onpointlikecp3

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Love it but do you think Barnes will fall that low?
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

I really dont think Ariza is going anywhere. I could be laughably wrong, but I just don't think so unless there is some behind the scenes action taking place. Ariza was Monty's work horse this year at times. Imagine if we needed to go a big defensive lineup with Gordon at 1, Aminu 2, Ariza 3, Smith 4, Oak 5. Very very good Defensive lineup. It would be hard to rebound or score on that krewe.

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    I really dont think Ariza is going anywhere. I could be laughably wrong, but I just don't think so unless there is some behind the scenes action taking place. Ariza was Monty's work horse this year at times. Imagine if we needed to go a big defensive lineup with Gordon at 1, Aminu 2, Ariza 3, Smith 4, Oak 5. Very very good Defensive lineup. It would be hard to rebound or score on that krewe.
    I think the only way Ariza goes is if Dell Monty have huge plans for Aminu and plan on drafting a SF like MKG. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    I just don't think so unless there is some behind the scenes action taking place.
    This article says they are telling Ariza to stay home, not that he asked to stay home or it was mutually agreed to that he stay home. If true I think that's some telling behind the scenes action.

Where do I sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    Love it but do you think Barnes will fall that low?
    I think we are gonna get the 2nd and 6th pick, we get luck on our side

That's more of an indictment on Demps just like him trading for Ariza.

Thread Information