Pelicans Report

Thread: The Hornets Lottery Conspiracy

The Hornets Lottery Conspiracy

As a Hornets fan, I can't stop thinking thinking about the team somehow landing the number one pick, and then being subjected to an overwhelming amount of conspiracy theories. David Stern rigged the draft. The ping pong balls have magnetic inner cores. It would be more than worth it to get Anthony Davis, but that doesn't mean hearing about "conflict of interest" won't get annoying after the 15th loop of Sportscenter. But why do the Hornets have the only chance for possible corruption? If Stern wants to control things for the Hornets, he could do it for any team.

New Jersey/ Brooklyn Nets

On PTI the other day, they asked Charles Barkley what team getting Anthony Davis would benefit the league most, or something of that nature. The first team he mentioned was the Nets, and I have to agree with Sir Charles. After that really dumb Gerald Wallace trade where they traded a lottery pick (top three protected) in a highly touted draft, the Nets need to make a splash before they move into the borough. Deron Williams can get out fast enough, and apparently the fans throw MVP chants at the opposing team. The last thing the NBA wants is a completely lost team as the obvious second banana in a basketball loving city. It might scare Stern into a little Patrick Ewing frozen envelope redux.

Charlotte Bobcats

So Michael Jordan was greatest player ever, but he's not too great at the whole drafting thing. But the number one guy here is so clear not even I could screw it up. Jordan doesn't want his career to be overshadowed by how bad he was as a front office guy, (Isiah Thomas) so he tells Stern:

"Look, I made you. So let me have this pick, and then we might be even."

The Bobcats have the highest mathematical chance at the pick so they have an alibi. It's the perfect plan.

Sacramento Kings

Now I could say they could fix the draft as an attempt to save basketball for deserving Sacramento fans, but I'll go with something more logical. Everyone always says Stern is evil, so just to screw with us, he gives the Kings the pick. We all gasp at the idea of Davis being ruined by the team, while he wonders how he ended up with a bunch of players who are the antithesis of him, who need the ball constantly.

Cleveland Cavaliers

Kyrie Irving is cool and all, but man, that Lebron thing really did suck for them. Have a second consecutive lottery win to make up for it.

I don't necessarily think any these scenarios will happen. They're all pretty ridiculous. But I also think they're all close to being on the same level as the Hornets being given a top pick. I know most people don't actually believe that. It's more just a way of illustrating the complications of a league owned team, and that's justified. No matter what though, there will still be blogs and writers and Skip Baylesses (Baylessi?) who will give it some serious air.

Realistically though, does the league office really have any more to gain by giving the Hornets the number one pick? Financially, other teams like the Nets have much more at stake with their billion dollar arena, and image wise, the Bobcats could use something to make them seem like they should even be in the NBA. These are much more serious problems than the now owned and stabilized Hornets. Stern feels that by finding an owner he has fixed the whole problem in New Orleans. He even threw an All Star game for the trouble. The Hornets, or whatever the name might be in six months, are on their own, hoping the balls fall the right way just like every other lottery team.

Discuss this blog entry in the forum

Discuss this blog entry in the forum

Good read bro, you made me feel a little better, so thanks but i thank if the Bees get the top, then it will cause a uproar because they are more fresher on people minds (Stern owning the team) and many are just predicting it right now(ESPN). You do bring up so valuable points, but i guess we will all find out May 30. Also do you think the hornets know something by the way they are not tanking and sitting Ariza and other Starters?????? Something just seems odd. Then again maybe im reaching.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I really don't know why people just assume the NBA rigs their draft when they have team reps that watch them place the ping pong balls in the machine

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    I really don't know why people just assume the NBA rigs their draft when they have team reps that watch them place the ping pong balls in the machine
    OR DO THEY?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    OR DO THEY?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????
    yeah and they have an accounting firm in the room

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    yeah and they have an accounting firm in the room
    OR DO THEY?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????//
    All seriousness, maybe im a nutcase *no pun * but i never been the type to believe everything which is told to me. espcially with something like the draft thats so serious... IS BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

OR DO THEY?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????//
    All seriousness, maybe im a nutcase *no pun * but i never been the type to believe everything which is told to me. espcially with something like the draft thats so serious... IS BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.
    If it was in front of everyone would it make a difference? Some will still say that the NBA rigged it for who they wanted to get #1

I feel confident about this draft. We will end up with decent players to build off of.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I feel confident about this draft. We will end up with decent players to build off of.
    Yup. I trust in our guys and I don't think we'll be disappointed in the long run.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I agree with this, but I seriously feel we have a better chance of landing Davis if the lottery is strictly on the up and up....(and I believe that it is)
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

There's no way Anthony Davis is going to live up to all this hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    There's no way Anthony Davis is going to live up to all this hype.
    Davis=Next Bill Russell
    Barnes=Next MJ
    Robinson=Next Barkley
    MKG=Next Pippen
    Sully=Next Malone
    Drummond=Next Dwight Howard
    Beal=Next wade
    Rivers=Next Westbrook
    PJ3=Next Durant
    etc.......................

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Davis=Next Bill Russell
    Barnes=Next MJ
    Robinson=Next Barkley
    MKG=Next Pippen
    Sully=Next Malone
    Drummond=Next Dwight Howard
    Beal=Next wade
    Rivers=Next Westbrook
    PJ3=Next Durant
    etc.......................
    Hope your comparing them as players, not who they will become!

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Hope your comparing them as players, not who they will become!

All i know is if Cleveland wins I will start watching championship curling instead. I'm tired of being jerked around by the NBA draft.

Let's just work out a deal where we'll lose the lottery this year... draft #6 and #11. End up with Barnes and Sully/Zeller.

And then next season, we pick top 3 again via trade, and just end up w/ Nerlens Noel. Who is a better rebounder/shot blocker/post player than Anthony Davis.

Yeah, I said it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I never understood that issue about NBA cheating with the draft.

Thread Information