Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Article about possible Ariza departure...

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    If defense is what we want in a SF, the MKG might be the pick according to where we land. I think Trev has played his last game in N.O.
    Lets not underrate Barnes defensively. He's a good defender as well. Had a defensive rating of 95.5 this year.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Ariza has always been just a tad overpaid due to getting his contract after winning a championship. He would be a GREAT off the bench guy, but he is just paid too much to do so.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    What if Golden State gets their pick back, and then we offer Jack + Minny pick for Millsap if we draft MKG or Drummond?

I doubt Ariza is going to bring in much value, so I think we should just trade him for some late 1st or 2nd round, or even just a straight up salary dump.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Lets not underrate Barnes defensively. He's a good defender as well. Had a defensive rating of 95.5 this year.
    That is lower than the team's defensive rating of 92. Plus, it helped having Henson and Zeller in the frontcourt.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Sully's defensive rating was 85 while his team's rating was 91. He had sucky defenders around him outside of Craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Ariza has always been just a tad overpaid due to getting his contract after winning a championship. He would be a GREAT off the bench guy, but he is just paid too much to do so.
    I agree. That's why most teams would amnesty him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Regardless, Barnes has all the physical tools and attitude to be a good defender. If we draft him, I'm sure he'd be a solid defender. Monty gets the most out of everyone on the defensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Hayward is their SF of the future. He's only 21 and has way more skills and upside than Ariza.

What they're lacking is a PG for the future. They view Burks as their future SG, but they could do better. However, Henry wouldn't be a proven upgrade.

Honestly, Jefferson and Millsap are playing well, but they're not gonna win playoff series with those guys. They're not All-Star big men. Those guys are undersized for their position and will struggle against bigger frontlines. That's why they view Kanter and Favors as the future because they bring size, youth, and athleticism to the frontcourt. Kanter is only 19 and was a top 4 pick in the draft. He's been solid this season and will only get better.

They have no need for Ariza unless they move Hayward to SG, but they really need a PG and would love to get someone like Lillard. Still, they wouldn't trade Kanter for Lillard.

Basically, they wouldn't trade Kanter or Favors for Henry, Ariza, and Lillard.
    I disagree that Millsap and Favors would struggle in the Playoffs. They are as good as any other 4-5 duo in the NBA. Millsap is probably the most underrated player in the league. They will struggle in the Playoffs bc of their guard play and lack of team defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Regardless, Barnes has all the physical tools and attitude to be a good defender. If we draft him, I'm sure he'd be a solid defender. Monty gets the most out of everyone on the defensive side.
    He could, but remember, alot more room to operate offensively in the NBA with illegal defense rules, a much longer 3-point line. I wonder how good his defense will be in the league. I'm sure he will be solid. Athletic, long arms. Wonder how his foot speed will be. I still like his ability to extend defenses with his range. I'm ok with drafting him with the Minny pick, but I would rather draft Sullinger if available.

Depends on what happens with Sullinger and his legs. He's going to drop like a rock if one leg is longer than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ATR22 View Post
    I disagree that Millsap and Favors would struggle in the Playoffs. They are as good as any other 4-5 duo in the NBA. Millsap is probably the most underrated player in the league. They will struggle in the Playoffs bc of their guard play and lack of team defense
    Millsap has always struggled against the Lakers frontline like most PFs. Too small against bigger frontlines.

Both guys have played well this season, but I want to watch them against the Spurs frontline of Duncan and Splitter.

Utah still views Kanter and Favors as their future frontline. It could change, but they're definitely not trading neither for Lillard, Ariza, and Henry. The Hornets will have to do better than that.

Ariza is a guy you need to finish your team rather than some one you'd build with. It doesn't make sense for a team like the Hornets to keep him especially when the drop off between Aminu and Ariza becomes smaller with experience.

Depends on what happens with Sullinger and his legs. He's going to drop like a rock if one leg is longer than the other.
    How legit is that rumor? Sullinger didn't have the same type of injury history compared to Oden, but it would be a concern.

Millsap has always struggled against the Lakers frontline like most PFs. Too small against bigger frontlines.

Both guys have played well this season, but I want to watch them against the Spurs frontline of Duncan and Splitter.

Utah still views Kanter and Favors as their future frontline. It could change, but they're definitely not trading neither for Lillard, Ariza, and Henry. The Hornets will have to do better than that.
    i am not too sure about that...kanter(who went #3 last yr) probably would go #6 this yr, so we could trade the 10th and ariza for the 6th and a filler like demarre carroll...not too bad of a trade for both teams...kanter is the guy i would target

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    i am not too sure about that...kanter(who went #3 last yr) probably would go #6 this yr, so we could trade the 10th and ariza for the 6th and a filler like demarre carroll...not too bad of a trade for both teams...kanter is the guy i would target
    Utah could definitely use the pick for a PG, but if Lillard is gone, then the pick is worthless to them.

Plus, why would they want Ariza when Hayward is already at SF?

How legit is that rumor? Sullinger didn't have the same type of injury history compared to Oden, but it would be a concern.
    I'm not sure, but it's something I keep hearing. From what I've heard though if it is proven to be true it's going to be a huge issue.

Utah could definitely use the pick for a PG, but if Lillard is gone, then the pick is worthless to them.

Plus, why would they want Ariza when Hayward is already at SF?
    They want to start defensive minded SF. Milsap and Jefferson provide enough offense but aren't as strong defensively. They would love to be able to start Hayward at the 2 or bring him off the bench (he would still play extended minutes similar to Ginobli's role for SA)

He could, but remember, alot more room to operate offensively in the NBA with illegal defense rules, a much longer 3-point line. I wonder how good his defense will be in the league. I'm sure he will be solid. Athletic, long arms. Wonder how his foot speed will be. I still like his ability to extend defenses with his range. I'm ok with drafting him with the Minny pick, but I would rather draft Sullinger if available.
    He's not gonna last until the Minny pick... Him and Davis are the two all stars out of this class. With Jones III and Beal being the other likely candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    He's not gonna last until the Minny pick... Him and Davis are the two all stars out of this class. With Jones III and Beal being the other likely candidates.
    I'd be stunned if Barnes is an All-Star. He's not anywhere near Davis's class. Complimentary player. Over glorified Batum.

He's going to be a much better offensive player than Batum. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but for a guy that always posts all those stats, have you ever seen Batum's? They aren't good, his defensive rating is also higher than the teams average, which I've seen you talk about.

I don't really care about having All-Stars. If you are a top team in your conference you will have guys make the All-Star game that are arguably not deserving, even though they are good players.

It's no different than guys like Stinchcomb and Bushrod making the Pro Bowl for the Saints.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 04-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Don't wanna be THAT guy, but it sounds like the Hornets knows something that we don't know. Which may mean good or bad about the draft. Davis and Barnes? T-Rob and MKG? Drummond and Barnes? Either way Im in. Just wanna see my team succeed, they really deserve it based on being treated unfairly over the years.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

He's going to be a much better offensive player than Batum. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but for a guy that always posts all those stats, have you ever seen Batum's? They aren't good, his defensive rating is also higher than the teams average, which I've seen you talk about.

I don't really care about having All-Stars. If you are a top team in your conference you will have guys make the All-Star game that are arguably not deserving, even though they are good players.

It's no different than guys like Stinchcomb and Bushrod making the Pro Bowl for the Saints.
    I've never said Batum was anything more than a complimentary player. Never said he was a good defender either. I said he would be a good complimentary player next to Gordon because of his shooting.

I was just responding to my nemesis who said Barnes would be an All-Star player. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

If we do have Barnes as a complimentary player next to Gordon, we're gonna need a low post scorer as well. Not an All-Stat but someone who can score in the paint.

I've never said Batum was anything more than a complimentary player. Never said he was a good defender either. I said he would be a good complimentary player next to Gordon because of his shooting.

I was just responding to my nemesis who said Barnes would be an All-Star player. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

If we do have Barnes as a complimentary player next to Gordon, we're gonna need a low post scorer as well. Not an All-Stat but someone who can score in the paint.
    Yes... and in this draft, won't we have the option to get that in a Sully/Zeller and at worst Henson/Leonard?

You won't get talent like Barnes, but the post is deep... and with that second pick, you look for a frontcourt player and still have the option to fall back on your beloved Lillard or Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    Yes... and in this draft, won't we have the option to get that in a Sully/Zeller and at worst Henson/Leonard?

You won't get talent like Barnes, but the post is deep... and with that second pick, you look for a frontcourt player and still have the option to fall back on your beloved Lillard or Marshall.
    Or you could just draft two frontcourt players since we don't have a long-term answer at either center or PF. Same with SF as well and PG. But seems to make more sense to fortify the frontcourt.

If you are basing it off of shooting alone lets talk about more realistic options, like Barnes.

BTW, Batum has no offensive game inside the arc.

Thread Information