Pelicans Report

Thread: Who's better? Landry or Smith?

Who's better? Landry or Smith?

I feel like this site loves Jason and he's grown on me alot but I don't think he's close to as good of a player as Landry. The reason I think so is because I think he gets his points because guys in the league don't respect him yet and let him get his little jump shots. I've seen Landry getting double teams and plays with so much intensity. I'd like to see Landry back next season because he's a very solid player every night

They're different type of players.

Landry.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I do believe we got Smith for a BARGAIN in the off season, so it'll put the team in a tough spot with re-signing Landy with Ayon, along with odds that we draft a PF

Landry is THE perfect 6th man player can come in and score points in bunches. As long long as either him or Jack are having good games off the bench our bench would be very good.

Smith is improving alot though he is a hell of an athlete and should develop even further hopefully he can learn some post moves or something

The more i think about it, the more I think our bigger need is at SF in the draft... but something just clicks in my head with New Orleans & T-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    The more i think about it, the more I think our bigger need is at SF in the draft... but something just clicks in my head with New Orleans & T-Rob
    I actually think T-Rob will be nothing special in the NBA

I loved Landry last year, and I think he did a hero's job in replacing David West at the end of the season. What impressed me most about him was how hard he was trying every night.

I didn't see that same fire this season, and I'm not exactly sure why that is. Whether it's because he's not playing with Chris Paul, or he was now making 5mil more, I have no idea. But he didn't seem to be as hungry as he was last year.

J-Smith, on the other hand, improved dramatically, more than I ever could have imagined. He doesn't just float to the top of the key for his jumper anymore. He hustles, he crashes the board, and he can get inside and deliver a big slam to get fans on their feet. I still think, pound for pound, Landry can give you more offensively. But like someone else said, if we're getting a PF in the draft, and we already have Smith and Ayon locked up, there just might not be enough room for Landry.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Landry.

Landry is better now. However you have to look at value. Landry will demand a much bigger contract than Smith's 3 mil. So, for a team that isn't going to contend next year Smith is probably the better option moving forward considering his rapid development and he can play center some if need be.

Landry is better now, but Smith is more cost-efficient in a rebuilding scenario.

Smith. But Landry would fit better with a lot of frontcourts. Heck, Landry is obviously more talented, but Smith's contract and height really helps

If we had a defensive presence like Chandler or Noah in the paint, then Landry may be fine as a starter, but not likely unless he improves his rebounding and overall defense a bit. Projects as a strong backup.

I like Smith's game better than Landry's, although both help our team in different ways. Smith gets everyone energized, hustles, crashes the board, and has that sweet jumper that seems to be automatic. Carl Landry is a scoring machine, great sixth man off the bench. I'd be happy if we kept both, but I would be more disappointed if we lost Smith.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Smith has really improved this year - especially as a weak-side defender. As such, the proposed permanent switch to center makes a lot of sense. He was being misused as a PF IMO. Just because he has the athleticism to play PF doesn't mean that he should. It's obvious that he could become an outstanding stretch Center - a guy who can really open the floor for EJ to penetrate.

Landry is instant offense off the bench, and I love his game. If we can get him back for the right price, he is a championship calibre big man off the bench.

Thread Information