Pelicans Report

Thread: I actually don't care to have Chris Paul back, but how would a Gordon/Paul back court

I actually don't care to have Chris Paul back, but how would a Gordon/Paul back court

do? This is of course if Gordon re-signs with us.

It was talked about in another thread, and me and others have joked about this being Chris Paul's master plan to get pieces back from the Clippers and come back when he's a free agent, but with the Hornets' future looking pretty damn good, let's discuss this.

Do you think we should sign him if the opportunity arises? If so, do you think they would be good? Great?

If not, is it because of Paul's injury history? Lack of bringing it like he used to? Don't like his attitude? Jack AND Vasquez is good enough?
    aka Hornet Blood

Credit: wopester

They could be very good together, but both would have to sacrifice part of their game to the other. In a no salary cap, All Star team setting sure you'd pair them up. But they both need the ball in their hands to do what they do best. If I'm paying Max Money I'd rather pay it to a stud PF who's game was enhanced by Gordon's presence rather than a PG who's game is being diminshed by Gordon's play.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    They could be very good together, but both would have to sacrifice part of their game to the other. In a no salary cap, All Star team setting sure you'd pair them up. But they both need the ball in their hands to do what they do best. If I'm paying Max Money I'd rather pay it to a stud PF who's game was enhanced by Gordon's presence rather than a PG who's game is being diminshed by Gordon's play.
    I agree with this post. Also, I think guys like Batum and Dragic would fit well next to Gordon and a post player like Sullinger. That's my dream offseason along with a young center in the draft.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I know a lot of people on here don't like this guy but I rather have a Rondo/Gordon backcourt. This backcourt IMO would be unstoppable. A great scorer in Gordon and a Triple double machine in Rondo and they both play good defense. With the possibility of having Anthony Davis here too, I think this team would be a force in the league IMO. That means the team have to Find a way to get rid of Okafor and Jack. I wish this could happen but probably won't. I know I'm probably in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelos View Post
    I know a lot of people on here don't like this guy but I rather have a Rondo/Gordon backcourt. This backcourt IMO would be unstoppable. A great scorer in Gordon and a Triple double machine in Rondo and they both play good defense. With the possibility of having Anthony Davis here too, I think this team would be a force in the league IMO. That means the team have to Find a way to get rid of Okafor and Jack. I wish this could happen but probably won't. I know I'm probably in the minority.
    i'd love to get him and he seems to be on the Block every year for some reason or another

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    How this team is playing & how the Clippers are plying, I think Paul will leave & come back here. He already loves the fans, city & coaching staff. Another thing that will run him from LA is because Blake Griffen is overrated & still is a project! Dude don't have a post game, bad D, no freethow ability & barely can shoot. All he have is athleticism! Now yes he have potential but he's way overrated, & Paul will see the clippers isn't what he thought they was.
    Now think, the Lakers will be old when Paul a free-agent(no lakers). Only teams I see him coming to is us & rejoining with D-West @ Indiana. But I see him
    Coming back as we will be barely a contender about time hes a free-agent.
    Last edited by Trell; 04-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.

I dont think It was his master plan. But I honestly see CP3 seeing that Blake is a One trick pony, and Vinnie is not a good coach. If The clippers FO cant make a trade splash/free agent splash, I don't see CP3 staying. He wants to win and be loved ( in that order.) If we are a top 4 Seed Next season, N.O. WILL be a top destination for Free Agents with the Cap space we are going to have in 2013.

I think the chance that CP is coming back here is low, like 1% chance low. It's not going to happen.

However this:
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    . But they both need the ball in their hands to do what they do best. If I'm paying Max Money I'd rather pay it to a stud PF who's game was enhanced by Gordon's presence rather than a PG who's game is being diminshed by Gordon's play.
    Is just wrong. Paul is the type of PG that could play well with anybody (except say, another distribute first poing guard). People get caught up with Paul needing the ball because the entire time he was in New Orleans he lacked a serious #1 scoring threat. Put him alongside a guy like Gordon, I think they'd both thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    Is just wrong. Paul is the type of PG that could play well with anybody (except say, another distribute first poing guard). People get caught up with Paul needing the ball because the entire time he was in New Orleans he lacked a serious #1 scoring threat. Put him alongside a guy like Gordon, I think they'd both thrive.
    Agreed. He is actually a very good shooter off the ball (shooting 39% from 3 over the past 3 years), and he is the best PnR PG in the league - which would take pressure off of EJ. Most importantly (for Monty anyways), he plays fantastic on-ball defense.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    It'd be the best back court in the NBA.

Maybe not the best fit, but they are so talented that they will find a way to work together and still be incredibly effective.

Paul isn't coming back though. Not after the way things ended. I don't care how good our future is, it'd be like Melo wanting to come back to Denver or Bosh wanting back in Toronto. Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    It'd be the best back court in the NBA.

Maybe not the best fit, but they are so talented that they will find a way to work together and still be incredibly effective.

Paul isn't coming back though. Not after the way things ended. I don't care how good our future is, it'd be like Melo wanting to come back to Denver or Bosh wanting back in Toronto. Not happening.
    I thought things ended pretty well. There wasn't any mud slinging, and Monty said that he and CP talk/text at least once a week. It was a very peaceful departure, and we even played him a tribute video when he returned to play here.

Melo's departure was much murkier. They wouldn't welcome him back, nor would he want to return. CP still loves the city and the franchise. He just didn't like the fact that, at the time, we didn't have an Owner, a lease with the city, or a talented roster. All of that has changed now.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I thought things ended pretty well. There wasn't any mud slinging, and Monty said that he and CP talk/text at least once a week. It was a very peaceful departure, and we even played him a tribute video when he returned to play here.
    Are you forgetting the backlash that happened after the Lakers trade? Wasn't Chris about to sue so that the trade went down?

I mean, it wasn't that bad, especially compared to someone like LeBron or Dwight (when he leaves). But I mean, let's say Utah opens up cap space this summer and can sign D. Williams. Do you think he'd go back despite their bright future?

I think once a player wants to leave, he's not going to come back. Especially this soon.

Are you forgetting the backlash that happened after the Lakers trade? Wasn't Chris about to sue so that the trade went down?

I mean, it wasn't that bad, especially compared to someone like LeBron or Dwight (when he leaves). But I mean, let's say Utah opens up cap space this summer and can sign D. Williams. Do you think he'd go back despite their bright future?

I think once a player wants to leave, he's not going to come back. Especially this soon.
    Chris never said anything publicly. There was mass speculation by the media, but that's it. I believe there was a tweet that said "wow," but that's about as ambiguous as it gets.

I'm not saying that he will definitely return. I'm just saying that his situation is different from others. It is more possible for him to return than others, if you get what I'm saying.

But, hey, even with how bad LeBron's departure was, he said a few weeks ago that he wouldn't rule out a return to Cleveland once his contract with Miami is through. If LeBron is already thinking about a return later in his career, I'm more than sure that it has crossed CP's mind a few times - especially when he is seeing what Monty is doing with this crew, and how much better we will be next year after our 2 lottery picks and our other young talent develops.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Chris never said anything publicly. There was mass speculation by the media, but that's it. I believe there was a tweet that said "wow," but that's about as ambiguous as it gets.

I'm not saying that he will definitely return. I'm just saying that his situation is different from others. It is more possible for him to return than others, if you get what I'm saying.

But, hey, even with how bad LeBron's departure was, he said a few weeks ago that he wouldn't rule out a return to Cleveland once his contract with Miami is through. If LeBron is already thinking about a return later in his career, I'm more than sure that it has crossed CP's mind a few times - especially when he is seeing what Monty is doing with this crew, and how much better we will be next year after our 2 lottery picks and our other young talent develops.
    Oh well, who knows.. I think he's going to stay with the Clippers and a Hornets return is incredibly slim, but who knows...

Oh well, who knows.. I think he's going to stay with the Clippers and a Hornets return is incredibly slim, but who knows...
    Well, neither of us know CP personally, so we are both equally speculating here. I'm just saying that if a guy like LeBron is starting to talk about returning to Cleveland after Miami (and keep in mind, they went to the Championship last year), then I would say that it's fair game to theorize that CP is doing the same.

i dont think cp has that kind of personality to just backstab a team like that... would be awesome if we sign him though

how would Gordon feel?

Quote Originally Posted by SharlieCheen View Post
    i dont think cp has that kind of personality to just backstab a team like that... would be awesome if we sign him though

how would Gordon feel?
    It wouldn't be a "backstab." He made good on his promise to pick up his player option on the final year of his contract. He is giving the franchise time to add guys. If they don't deliver, then he very well may leave in FA. It's his right to do so.

I didn't say Paul couldn't play off ball, just that they'd both be sacrificing some of their game to play well together. It'd be a hell of a back court but not necessarily a hell of a value. You get more bang for your Max Salary buck spending on a frontcourt guy not another back court guy.

Thread Information