.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 750

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

  1. #201
    Hall of Famer Panic Hoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Bama
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    To Joe-Hornet, I couldn't agree more and I tried to agree more too. I'm an equal hater of both UNC and Duke or at least I should say I could care less about either. Dukes is a great name. No way should it be off limits because of a non connection to an ACC school. Dukes, has a wonderful tie in with city, Saints, and the fluer de lis. It has historical significance going back to the founding of the city. Anyone attaching David Duke to it because that's just what they think when they hear it, simply needs to be educated on the origin a bit more. Does Mr. Duke really have that much power over the centuries old title of Duke? If you are a fan of Knights (not totally sold on that one yet), I think Dukes could be personified in a similar fashion but retains more of historical value.

    When I hear Voodoo I think salmonella from the ritualistic use of chickens. I am therefore afraid that the national media may refer to us as the Salmonellas.

    BTW, as much as I hate to admit it, it would seem as though those JESUIT BOYS run much of the city.
    very well said.

    Thanks for posting.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    very well said.

    Thanks for posting.
    Just curious, did you come up with the idea for Dukes? First time I read of it was yesterday on this forum and I'm loving it. In my opinion we have few opportunities to tie in a unique name with the city that isn't the same tired stereotypical forced stuff. To me Dukes is up there with 76ers for Philadelphia. It takes very little research to understand the connection. For now, all it lacks is the design and time. I still contend that just as people adopted the use of Saints for football (which now makes perfect sense but probably didn't to so many back then) so too could Dukes gain similar traction. I wish more could see what I and a few others on here see.

  3. #203
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,522
    Arc Angels is terrible.

  4. #204
    King of Optimism!! Pilot172000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Winnsboro, La
    Posts
    631
    Arc Angela and Bounce are the top two worst names of all time.

  5. #205
    FYI Charlotte's AAA baseball team is the Knights. We need to shake free of that city.

  6. #206
    ATR22 ATR22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    393
    NEW ORLEANS PILOTS!!

  7. #207
    The Franchise Big-EZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Orleans/Arabi
    Posts
    1,488
    If we stick with the Knights, we'll have to get Bow Wow

    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

  8. #208
    Hall of Famer Panic Hoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Bama
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    Just curious, did you come up with the idea for Dukes? First time I read of it was yesterday on this forum and I'm loving it. In my opinion we have few opportunities to tie in a unique name with the city that isn't the same tired stereotypical forced stuff. To me Dukes is up there with 76ers for Philadelphia. It takes very little research to understand the connection. For now, all it lacks is the design and time. I still contend that just as people adopted the use of Saints for football (which now makes perfect sense but probably didn't to so many back then) so too could Dukes gain similar traction. I wish more could see what I and a few others on here see.
    How can you tell?



    Yeah, Dukes was me.

    Saints made sense because we were announced on All Saints Day in a majority Catholic city.

  9. #209
    Hall of Famer Panic Hoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Bama
    Posts
    535
    Oh, how did I come up with it.

    Looking at the Royalty aspect, first I was with Monarchs, but then Dukes just made sense. I could see the tie in with the jazz music (Dukes of Dixieland), Mardi Gras, and the fact that the city was named after the Duke of Orleans just locked it up.

  10. #210
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,647
    Hmmm I could work with this cleaned up and spun for the NBA...

    Wherehappens.

  11. #211
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    943
    Hey, to ramsters60.....thanks for calling me experienced, but the reality is: College budget + Average computer = Hand-drawn art (though my awesome scanner makes up for that somewhat). I feel so embarrassed.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NO Knights Logo.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	3658
    Here's the first version of the logo. I'm probably going to redo this tons of times, though. Stay tuned for updates and other stuff, I've got a lot of ideas. What I lack in professionalism, I think I make up for in imagination.

  12. #212
    The Artist    Contributor   
    bigdub81's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    604
    That sword look's awfully familiar!

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Hey, to ramsters60.....thanks for calling me experienced, but the reality is: College budget + Average computer = Hand-drawn art (though my awesome scanner makes up for that somewhat). I feel so embarrassed.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NO Knights Logo.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	3658
    Here's the first version of the logo. I'm probably going to redo this tons of times, though. Stay tuned for updates and other stuff, I've got a lot of ideas. What I lack in professionalism, I think I make up for in imagination.
    Best yet...Nice Job

  14. #214
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    That sword look's awfully familiar!
    Yeah, I know, it's a remake of your Arcangels Logo (which is awesome, by the way). I just flipped it to help form a fleur-de-lis symbol.

    Honestly, I'd love to get some feedback and ideas from you, I've seen your work, and it's really, really good. As an old Charlotte Hornets fan (I remember being so happy when they moved here), your Charlotte Hornets redesign is amazing.

  15. #215
    I've always been a fan of rebranding, going back 10 years now. Since before Benson bought the team I wanted either Krewe or Brass.

    Since the purchase it seems like there have been hundreds of names thrown out here...and the VAST majority of them suck.

    Outside of impossible ones (Jazz) and obvious ones (VooDoo and Pelicans) the only one that I would be happy with is Dukes. I'd still prefer Krewe or Brass, but Dukes works on many levels (though not Duke Ellington, he wasn't a New Orleanian).
    - As mentioned the city was named after a Duke. It was also founded by French nobility, although the Le Moyne brothers were Sieurs not Ducs.
    - Most Mardi Gras krewes have dukes.
    - The colors of Mardi Gras were chosen by...the Grand Duke Alexis Romanov of Russia.
    - It's also unique as a sports name. A defunct minor league baseball team were the Albuquerque Dukes and only two universities use Dukes as a name, neither "big" schools (James Madison and Duquesne U).

  16. #216
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,001
    I do like the notion of the flipped sword. Be even better if you had a knight doing the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword bit right under neath it.

    Still like my Reapers though.

  17. #217
    Hall of Famer Panic Hoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Bama
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    I've always been a fan of rebranding, going back 10 years now. Since before Benson bought the team I wanted either Krewe or Brass.

    Since the purchase it seems like there have been hundreds of names thrown out here...and the VAST majority of them suck.

    Outside of impossible ones (Jazz) and obvious ones (VooDoo and Pelicans) the only one that I would be happy with is Dukes. I'd still prefer Krewe or Brass, but Dukes works on many levels (though not Duke Ellington, he wasn't a New Orleanian).
    - As mentioned the city was named after a Duke. It was also founded by French nobility, although the Le Moyne brothers were Sieurs not Ducs.
    - Most Mardi Gras krewes have dukes.
    - The colors of Mardi Gras were chosen by...the Grand Duke Alexis Romanov of Russia.
    - It's also unique as a sports name. A defunct minor league baseball team were the Albuquerque Dukes and only two universities use Dukes as a name, neither "big" schools (James Madison and Duquesne U).
    Great post. Keep the support coming!

    DUKES!!!

  18. #218
    The Artist    Contributor   
    bigdub81's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    604
    Yeah, I know, it's a remake of your Arcangels Logo (which is awesome, by the way). I just flipped it to help form a fleur-de-lis symbol.

    Honestly, I'd love to get some feedback and ideas from you, I've seen your work, and it's really, really good. As an old Charlotte Hornets fan (I remember being so happy when they moved here), your Charlotte Hornets redesign is amazing.
    It's a good start! I see something that could have been done. I'll wait to see if you see it as well. In the meantime...I accept the challenge!

  19. #219
    Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Westbank
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    It's a good start! I see something that could have been done. I'll wait to see if you see it as well. In the meantime...I accept the challenge!
    I just want to make sure I understand correctly....does that mean you are already (or will be) working on things for the Knights?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

    "always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

  20. #220
    Charlotte's baseball team being the Knights should absolutely eliminate that from consideration.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

  21. #221
    Hall of Famer Panic Hoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Bama
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    It's a good start! I see something that could have been done. I'll wait to see if you see it as well. In the meantime...I accept the challenge!
    Dub,

    any chance we could get a Dukes mock up?

  22. #222
    The Franchise bustahyndes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    (Brow)n Under
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    It's a good start! I see something that could have been done. I'll wait to see if you see it as well. In the meantime...I accept the challenge!
    im gonna have a crack at whats missing and say a basketball??

    Also wuggie said you were working on a Knights draft, how's it looking?



  23. #223
    Yes sir. Any notion I may have had of coming around to Knights is gone with the knowledge that it belongs to Charlotte's AAA team. Nothing is as good as Dukes to this point. I can't see Benson hiring a firm to have them come up with Krewe. So I want to believe we're safe from that abomination. Now, if only we knew how to bend this "firms" ear to embrace Dukes???? Mr. Panic Hoops, all props go to you. You may have saved us from a crappy name. Did I mention that Dukes works and I like it?

  24. #224
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Charlotte's baseball team being the Knights should absolutely eliminate that from consideration.
    Well that's relevant at all...

  25. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Well that's relevant at all...
    Good point! Let's be the New Orleans Panthers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •