Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Not a huge fan of the Knights. It's not terrible but I don't think it's a a major improvement over the Hornets other that it's a different name.

Does anyone recall back when the T-Wolves were rumored to be moving to NOLA and there was a bunch of branding chatter in town. I don't remember the names they were tossing out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    I'm still pushing for Dukes.

New Orleans Dukes!

Unique

Ties in with our music, Dukes of Dixieland

Mardi Gras, every krewe has Dukes (officers)

Also ties in with our French heritage, as we were named after the Duke of Orleans.

Sadly, this is the only image I could come up with

Now let's get Dub on Dukes, and we could have our name.
    I like Dukes, also there are famous jazz musicians nickname The Duke. For the people who want Knights on this board the name is to generic, but you could still put a mascot, or logo that is very similiar to a knight.

Logo fits the whole concept feels southern (John Waynish), it has historic significance to the city, also has a cultural significance. It fits in with the idea of royalty, and power.

duke
    1. A nobleman with the highest hereditary rank,
    2. A sovereign prince who rules an independent duchy in some European countries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8dg3ah7890s6j3z6thps4hms2.gif 
Views:	191 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	3654
    Last edited by bigtom9221; 04-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.

It needs to be the New Orleans Krewe, plain and simple. Like WhiteBeak said, who cares if people from other cities get it? This is OUR team. The only people who need to understand OUR name is US.

I can't get excited about the New Orleans Knights. That name does nothing for me.

The New Orleans Voodoo is already attached to our arena team, there is no point in paying them to rebrand.

1. Knights
    2. Breakers
    3. Krewe
    4. Brass

i like knights cuz its a cool name that isnt used by any other pro sports team and New Orleans Knights just sounds good. Stuff like "Cajun Crusaders" just takes way too long to say

it doesn't HAVE to be associated with the city imo, as long as we come up with it
    Last edited by speedyG; 04-21-2012 at 01:01 AM.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets123000 View Post
    It needs to be the New Orleans Krewe, plain and simple. Like WhiteBeak said, who cares if people from other cities get it? This is OUR team. The only people who need to understand OUR name is US.

I can't get excited about the New Orleans Knights. That name does nothing for me.

The New Orleans Voodoo is already attached to our arena team, there is no point in paying them to rebrand.
    It matters because you want to have people from all over the country become fans and buy merchandise. The Saints have made fans all over and there merchandise is a big saler.

Banned
    souljas

Banned
    the big easy

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    It matters because you want to have people from all over the country become fans and buy merchandise. The Saints have made fans all over and there merchandise is a big saler.
    That happened the moment the franchise legitimized itself as one of the NFL's premier ones. That'll happen with our new brand regardless of what it is. Especially if we win the lotto and snag us Davis.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    I don't really care for Krewe, but BigDub's jersey designs for it are cool.

I'll ask this again since only a few people answered last--what do you think of applying black and old gold to the new rebrand and creating a NOLA pro sports unified color scheme??

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    I don't really care for Krewe, but BigDub's jersey designs for it are cool.

I'll ask this again since only a few people answered last--what do you think of applying black and old gold to the new rebrand and creating a NOLA pro sports unified color scheme??

whatever we're called they need their own identity.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    whatever we're called they need their own identity.
    I guess you're in the crowd that thinks black and gold would make the basketball team a stepchild. But I don't understand that line of thinking. NOLA is all about civic pride from its people, right? What better way to appeal to that than unifying the sports color scheme, a la Pittsburgh? It's not like a lot of other cities do that already so it would be unique.

That color scheme itself would be uniquely New Orleans, since no other team in the NBA employs black and gold; and for that matter, no other team in the big 4 team sport leagues would employ black and old gold except NOLA bball and the Saints (correct me if I am wrong).

Just imagine the city scene in early winter when NFL and NBA overlap and we have two contending franchises...city would be decked in black and gold rallying for both teams. I think it would also be appealing to the NFL-only crowd to at least THINK about supporting the New Orleans NBA team, watching a game or two in the arena and possibly become hooked.
    Last edited by djpaul89; 04-21-2012 at 08:42 AM.

I really don't like the "we're unique, we don't care what other people think!" argument. It comes from the same people who want a rebrand because people are calling us Charlotte all the time, and the same people who want respect from the national media. You can't get all hot and bothered when your team is called the Charlotte Hornets, then call yourself the Krewe and say "we don't care what anyone else thinks!" You can't have it both ways. You obviously care what other people think, or else a rebrand wouldn't be necessary.

Knights name is ok but no Blk and Gold

The Knights name is not my favorite..we had an arena team called the New Orleans Night....I dont want the Voodoo (been done) or the Brass (failed franchise here). I think we need to stick with the Krewe (could be called the Krewe of New Orleans) we dont have to appeal to the whole Gulf Coast...thats just dumb. What other team appeals to a respected region...NONE! Pelicans was used before even though the new logos are good...it all depends on how we brand the team with colors and such. That is what ultimately sells...

Quote Originally Posted by DpSthTgr View Post
    The Knights name is not my favorite..we had an arena team called the New Orleans Night....I dont want the Voodoo (been done) or the Brass (failed franchise here). I think we need to stick with the Krewe (could be called the Krewe of New Orleans) we dont have to appeal to the whole Gulf Coast...thats just dumb. What other team appeals to a respected region...NONE! Pelicans was used before even though the new logos are good...it all depends on how we brand the team with colors and such. That is what ultimately sells...
    Actually, Krewe could appeal to the whole Gulf Coast since Mardi Gras is celebrated everywhere in the Gulf. But not a fan of the name.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Actually, Krewe could appeal to the whole Gulf Coast since Mardi Gras is celebrated everywhere in the Gulf. But not a fan of the name.
    Just curious, why is Krewe not appealing to you?

Something to go with the saints would be best.

Friars
    Martyrs
    Gargoyles
    Visigoths

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    Just curious, why is Krewe not appealing to you?
    I just don't like the name. Maybe because its not as obvious as Jazz or VooDoo. Nothing creative about the name as well. Don't think its a good fit for a NBA team which is trying to replace an established name for 20+ years. The new name has to be a hit right away. Jazz and VooDoo would do that since they make sense as NOLA tradition all over the country. Mardi Gras does too, but you can't name a team Mardi Gras and Krewe doesn't have the same ring to it. Brass would be better IMO, but again, its like a minor league version of Jazz like Krewe is to Mardi Gras. The new name has to either be the right fit traditionally or something really creative that works. Otherwise, something generic would be needed.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Actually Knights is a dry name. We need something interesting such as,Arc Angels, Brass, Krewe or VooDoo. These names are entertaining, cool & totally one of a kind(different). If your a fan of the Jazz name I don't see why you aren't a fan of Brass, both dealing with music & a New Orleans heritage. Arc Angels has plenty of different meanings to it! That's what make it one of a kind.

The point is knights is to boring, plain , dry & simple! Now if we get knights, we should just keep the Hormets lame name.

Quote Originally Posted by Downman View Post
    Something to go with the saints would be best.

Friars
    Martyrs
    Gargoyles
    Visigoths
    I'll try to reenact my first impressions:

Is Dukes just a non-starter?

Much more lively than Knights, and it touches on our music, our Mardi Gras and our history. Come on Man! Show me some love!!!

I like the Krewe but if we went Krewe then the color schemes need to Mardi Gras but they need to scrap those green and yellow uniforms... I still like the Blues or Soul I know they are a NHL and AFL team but it fits... Dukes is a good name but I think

The Black and Gold color scheme would be cool but I like the Mardi Gras colors

Much more lively than Knights, and it touches on our music, our Mardi Gras and our history. Come on Man! Show me some love!!!
    If your talking to me, Yea I love Dukes as well! It would be my 2nd or 3rd choice behind Brass & Arc Angels.

I love the black & gold colors with Brass! That would be sweet.

1) PILOTS
    2) DUKES
    3) BRASS

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    this is not an attempt to offend anyone, but it was just on my mind because we have so many current fans and supporters that are not from the area (and I truly hope that everyone will continue to be a part of this city/franchise for more than just the nickname)....it doesn't really matter what nickname is associated with this franchise (Hornets included), but I am a big believer that we all should pretty much pronounce our city name in identical fashion (and perhaps we all do already)...I am not dictating anything, but I do know how most folks around here "say" New Orleans (and its the enunciation of Orleans that matters most)...with that said, I would like to exercise a small experiment using virtually any of the nicknames you might have heard around here....simply insert the name in two different ways....first the New Orleans ________, and then secondly the ________ of New Orleans...I would just be curious what name (names) appeal to you the most from both directions...thanks for your time and honest opinions...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information