Pelicans Report

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Spirit? Is the mascot a cheerleader? I'd muuuch prefer Angels. I still like Pirates.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    Just did some digging around on the LA Secretary of State website.

For what it's worth, in addition to "The New Orleans Louisiana Angles, LLC" there is also a listing for "The Angels of New Orleans, Louisiana & Logo." Both are registered in Metairie. Neither have "details" available yet, which leads me to believe that both are very recent reserved names.

Also, I couldn't find an entry for "The New Orleans Louisiana Spirit, LLC," but did find one for "The Spirit of New Orleans, Louisiana & Logo." As with the Angels entry, it was registered in Metairie and lacks available "details."

I'll keep digging to see if other names pop up.

EDIT: I fiddled with the search terms and was able to find "New Orleans Louisiana Spirit, LLC." I'm not sure why it only showed up when I searched "New Orleans Louisiana, LLC." It too is registered in Metry and appears new.

Other fun facts I've learned:
    Benson's trademark on the Pelicans expires on May 18, 2012.
    Someone named Roy J Rodney, Jr., re-registered what seems to be the old New Orleans Brass logo in April 2012. From the description it looks like he is just going to be making shirts/hats with it.
    You didn't do digging, he listed that in the original blog post earlier today.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    Just when I thought nothing could be worse than Krewe, along comes Spirit. Our one opportunity can't be wasted on something so incredibly lame...can it? Angles? If there wasn't a baseball team near the City of Angles called the Angles than maybe I could live with it given the Saints connection (if we must create a connection at all). Our one chance to come out strong and there is a possibility that we waste it with either Spirit of Angles! I'd rather we remain the Hornets if we're going down this route. There are so many terrible suggestions and only one that really works and is ready to go...Dukes.
    As long as we don't get Krewe! Or Angles! I mean Angels! Who cares how it's spelled it sucks!!

I'd rather us remain the Hornets if the name is Angles.

However, this could be amazing if done by bigdub:

Can you imagine a background of that with his design?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    You didn't do digging, he listed that in the original blog post earlier today.
    You might want to double check that blog post...

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/...rnets-rebrand/

It mentions the "New Orleans Louisiana ________" but not the "_________ of New Orleans, Louisiana."

Going back and re-reading it, they do mention "additional filing reserving logos for both names."

I was under the assumption that is the two additional filings mentioned in the blog were not the "_________ of New Orleans, Louisiana" filings, considering that the neither the Saints, VooDoo, Zephyrs, or Hornets use that specific wording for any of their trademark or business registration.

I interpreted that to mean that there are 4 possibilities for names, not 2.

I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    You might want to double check that blog post...

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/...rnets-rebrand/

It mentions the "New Orleans Louisiana ________" but not the "_________ of New Orleans, Louisiana."

Going back and re-reading it, they do mention "additional filing reserving logos for both names."

I was under the assumption that is the two additional filings mentioned in the blog were not the "_________ of New Orleans, Louisiana" filings, considering that the neither the Saints, VooDoo, Zephyrs, or Hornets use that specific wording for any of their trademark or business registration.

I interpreted that to mean that there are 4 possibilities for names, not 2.

I could be wrong though.
    You're missing the point. The blogger did the digging for this WAY earlier today, not that poster.

You're missing the point. The blogger did the digging for this WAY earlier today, not that poster.
    The poster was me. Hi.

Obviously the blog author (or whoever) was the first to discover it. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. Not sure how or why you'd infer that...

I have experience working the Secretary of State office so I thought I'd give it a try too. I found something I thought was new, and thought I'd share.

Angels

Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead! They are fast! Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back, don't turn away and don't blink!

HERE'S PIERRE!!

I can help you guys out with Jake's post. I was talking with him about this before it went up and added the details about the Spirits of St. Louis and the timing of the rebrand.

Jake saw some stuff on the site and dug around as much as possible. I do not think he found all the entries that were listed by tge poster above. We have someone trying to work the 'details' issue for us, but any help is appreciated.

To be clear, Jake is one of the sources I was referencing above. He wasn't the one who asked me to keep a lid on it, but I did not steal the thunder for his work, nor would I. It was good work no one else did first, and he should be commended for it. And, as I said above, any help is welcome.

How about we force this thread to be merged with all the other name ideas in that huge sticky up top?

@DatPurpleHornet

The Franchise
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spirit_Squad_06.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	3698

If we are renamed Spirit maybe these guys can be our cheerleaders? Aslong as the other team doesn't have HHH or HBK we should be sweet.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

May the 4th be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    May the 4th be with you.
    God I hope people get that.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    God I hope people get that.
    Is typing with a lithp politically correct?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

As long as we don't get Krewe! Or Angles! I mean Angels! Who cares how it's spelled it sucks!!
    My horrible typing skills aside, perhaps I stumbled across a new name similar to the way peanut butter and chocolate inadvertently collided to create peanut butter cups. The Angles...or maybe the ArcAngles...how unique would we be? Besides it's about as good as some other suggestions. Please forgive my spelling error...if it isn't underlined in red, I assume everything is good to go.

I made this about a year ago for my company that ended up not happening, but I think the font and crown would make for a cool logo for The Krewe of New Orleans

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brad_KreweSports-page-001.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	3699

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Crescent City Angels
    New Orleans Cajuns
    New Orleans Zydecos

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Crescent City Angels
    You know that's a good point. No one has mentioned CC Angels. That sounds MUCH better.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    You know that's a good point. No one has mentioned CC Angels. That sounds MUCH better.
    Some people say the league wouldn't let us go by a nickname, but the Warriors are "Golden State" so I don't really see how that makes sense.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Some people say the league wouldn't let us go by a nickname, but the Warriors are "Golden State" so I don't really see how that makes sense.
    Golden State Bridge. Crescent City Connection.

The parallels are uncanny.

Oh wait. It's gate isn't it.

Oh well. Forget I said that.

I might be wrong, but they went by GS because they thought Oakland had a negative connotation. I'm not sure New Orleans has that same connotation, although it might to some people.

If they became the New Orleans Big Shots, this new Dr. John song would be an awesome theme song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrTPh-18oQ
    They could have a '70s funk/70s pimpin' logo/mascot. You know Dr. John has is own Muppet based on himself: "Dr Teeth." Dr. Teeth could be our mascot. Or at least a borderline copyright infringement version of Dr. Teeth.
    Plus there's the connotation to the Big Shot in Zulu. And there's the Big Shot cola connotation. And there's the fact that basketball players make "big shots," and they themselves are big shots
    OK, so I've made the decision: It's the New Orleans Big Shots. Much better than Krewe, Angels, etc. You're welcome, world.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    After sleeping on it I have decided I am fine with Angels. I am firmly against Spirits though. I think Spirits may be the only nickname that I have ever heard that sounds worse with Crescent City in front of it. Crescent city Spirits? That sounds like its trying too hard. New Orleas Angels is nice sounding, even though it sounds kind of like a local dance team...

Would be disappointed with either Angels or Spirits.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Thread Information