Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Quote Originally Posted by ATR22 View Post
    Pilots!
    Pilots? That must be a new suggestion. I don't think I had heard it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I think we should just go back to Bucs. Or if you dont like that because of Tampa Bay, use Pirates. Update that old ABA logo and colors.
    I'm kinda leaning this way too....

Quote Originally Posted by aussieNOHfan View Post
    dont forget Knights
    Your sig is .........bloody funny!..

I think we should just go back to Bucs. Or if you dont like that because of Tampa Bay, use Pirates. Update that old ABA logo and colors.
    its not so much i care about the tampa bay thing but with a team already called bucks i dont see it happening

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    The state amphibian is the green tree frog. Choosing that as our mascot makes about as much sense.
    Now there's an idea! Better and more relevant than Dukes in my opinion.

The most epic name would be...

New Orleans Epic!
    Last edited by GameBreaker; 05-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    its not so much i care about the tampa bay thing but with a team already called bucks i dont see it happening
    Plus with one of the Saints rivals being the Buccaneers, that might be a bit confusing as well.

Dukes reminds me of David Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    Me too. And an old song called The Duke of Earl.

Dukes reminds me of that guy that wanted to kill all the Gummi Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Pilots? That must be a new suggestion. I don't think I had heard it before.
    I've been suggesting it for a couple weeks now but it hasn't quite caught on. People don't hate it but they don't love it either. Its referencing River Pilots and since New Orleans is known for being right on the mighty Mississippi and is a major port city I think it works. Its unique without trying too hard to be unique.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    What about: New Orleans Marshalls?

I've been suggesting it for a couple weeks now but it hasn't quite caught on. People don't hate it but they don't love it either. Its referencing River Pilots and since New Orleans is known for being right on the mighty Mississippi and is a major port city I think it works. Its unique without trying too hard to be unique.
    I'm sorry. I like the name well enough. I was making a joke because you talk about it all the time.

what about New Orleans Fusion? You know, like jazz/funk (rebirth,galactic,trombone shorty etc.) Kinda WNBA sounding I know... dont ask me how to represent it in a logo though lol. Also could stand for culinary fusion, with cajun/french being an easy example of that

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    Let's start the "Keep the Hornets the Hornets" Campaign.
    How about no.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    Plus with one of the Saints rivals being the Buccaneers, that might be a bit confusing as well.
    Then just go with the name "Pirates" or some other variation...You got a ready made logo. I like the uniforms as is. The colors would need to change. There is history there. There is something there for the kids to latch onto. It doesnt really need much explanation nationally.

I mean some of these names we are coming up with, parents arent going to let there kids run around like little reapers. I mean c'mon. Plus you got to think "is it marketable". You arent just selling this product to fans from New Orleans, but non fans in N.O. former Hornet fans as far back as Charlotte, to the new up and coming casual fans, that dont have a team that they have latched onto and to mainstream media. Hey maybe that isnt Pirates, but it cant be Voodoo or Reapers or Demons or anything like that. All of those things may fit the town, but this has to be thought of as something bigger than N.O.

Then just go with the name "Pirates" or some other variation...You got a ready made logo. I like the uniforms as is. The colors would need to change. There is history there. There is something there for the kids to latch onto. It doesnt really need much explanation nationally.

I mean some of these names we are coming up with, parents arent going to let there kids run around like little reapers. I mean c'mon. Plus you got to think "is it marketable". You arent just selling this product to fans from New Orleans, but non fans in N.O. former Hornet fans as far back as Charlotte, to the new up and coming casual fans, that dont have a team that they have latched onto and to mainstream media. Hey maybe that isnt Pirates, but it cant be Voodoo or Reapers or Demons or anything like that. All of those things may fit the town, but this has to be thought of as something bigger than N.O.
    I'd prefer Corsairs or Privateers over Pirates or Buccaneers (Tampa has ruined that name, even if we used it first).

I think people are putting too much stock in making the name/mascot kid friendly. That's in part because as a team, the Hornets have always had one of most cartoonish brands in the league, if not the most. Hugo is/was a big part of the brand, right there front and center in the primary logo.

But look around the league. Very few teams do this. We don't need to do it either. Getting kids excited about the team is great, but I fail to see the benefits of having a cartoon as the face of the franchise.

The beauty of names like Krewe or Brass, is that you can still have a kid friendly mascot. Maybe after Pistol, Pete the Pelican? Or Lafitte the Alligator? Both mascots could work with either name.

I agree with your point about the Demons/Reapers/VooDoo...bit harder to have a fluffy pelican mascot for the Reapers.

I heard some names that some possibly relevant people like.

We'll be screaming for Hornets.

Rebrandista tapdancing will be hilarious.

Sadly, I can't see them coming to light, one especially, so I will never see that dance... for these names...

How about Hornots?

New member here! Like the names Dukes, Brass, Voodoo and Breakers!
    Want to throw out a couple of new ideas.

New Orleans Steam Wheelers or New Orleans Wheelers - Riverboat paddelwheeler logo.

New Orleans Firebirds- Imagine a symbol of rebirth for the city and team. Invision a logo of a Pelican in the shape of a fleur-de-lis rising above blue flames, clenching a trumpet in its feet. New team colors can reflect those found on the flag of New Orleans; blue, white, red and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by RocKanyon View Post
    New member here! Like the names Dukes, Brass, Voodoo and Breakers!
    Want to throw out a couple of new ideas.

New Orleans Steam Wheelers or New Orleans Wheelers - Riverboat paddelwheeler logo.

New Orleans Firebirds- Imagine a symbol of rebirth for the city and team. Invision a logo of a Pelican in the shape of a fleur-de-lis rising above blue flames, clenching a trumpet in its feet. New team colors can reflect those found on the flag of New Orleans; blue, white, red and gold.
    Sounds a little busy

oh crap!

42 - I can only imagine...

I guess Ascension and Resurrection may be on the short list.

Car Boys.

Hoop

Audobon

River Boys

River

Gumbo

Beignets

Shell Oil

Cheer

Slayers

Jacks

Hickory

Benson

Benson's Boys

Food

Mercy - what I cried when I thought how bad a name could be.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    New Orleans Hubig Pies
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Slayers is bad? Expect a visit from Kerry King...

And none of those...

My 'favorite' bad name: Tomcats!

That wasn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Slayers is bad? Expect a visit from Kerry King...

And none of those...

My 'favorite' bad name: Tomcats!

That wasn't one.
    can you elaborate on what you know? I'm assuming not since you didn't, but thought I would ask anyway

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    can you elaborate on what you know? I'm assuming not since you didn't, but thought I would ask anyway
    Pilots
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    He ran for office TWENTY YEARS AGO.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Thread Information