Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    I hope Benson hired a good team of professionals to come up with good options. Hopefully something we haven't thought of that will make us say "Why the hell didn't we think of that?"
    I just hope those professionals are from New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    Man I swear you are as passionate about that name as Hornets78, was about the Arcangels! I'm going to have to move your request to the front of the pile!
    MWUHAHAHAHA! Just as I planned. JK lol. I just think its a perfect fit. I appreciate you working on it whenever you have a chance. Thanks Dub!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I like Pilots better than some, its not horrible.

I'm terrified of some Jets-esque logo though I know you mean river pilots but again, most ppl will assume airplane.
    Bigdub is working on it not some amatuer. In the end it won't be confused with airplanes or the NY Jets lol.

Another very small reason I think it works is bc every time the Hornest/Saints have a nationally televised game the networks always show the Miss. River scene when coming back from commercial break and when they start the broadcast. New Orleans is synonymous for being a river and port city.

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post

Franchises that are in the midst of a rebuilding process sometimes make hasty decisions. (See: The Cavs quickly ditching their perfectly-fine previous uniforms in favor of their rather dull current ones just because LeBron left). I'm as caught up in all the rebranding fun as everyone else on this board (I love this kind of stuff, always have), but if I were Benson, I'd take a good hard look at doing all I can to make the Hornets as much of a winner as I can, rather than hastily changing the name for a rebranding project that may or may not work. Let's not pull out the can of Raid on the Fleur-de-Bee just yet.
    I don't think LeBron leaving is the only reason they Cavs changed their jerseys. I'm pretty sure the 24 month waiting list is not just for name changes, but for logos/uniforms/etc. It's to allow Adidas to adjust production so they don't end up with a ton of back stock of the "old" stuff that they can't sell.

Completely disagree with you re:Hornets. It's a tainted brand -- especially in New Orleans. It reeks of Shinn and Baron and Mashburn and Dan Dickau and Katrina and Shinn and Oklahoma City and those awful Valentine's Day jerseys and Shinn and Bower and wasted draft picks and being bought by the league and the entire CP3 saga.

Could the team be successful if they just kept the Hornets brand? Oh course.

But now is the time to make a clean break from the past decade. Next season we'll have a new owner, a new lease, two rookies from the lottery, and a potential superstar that the city hasn't even really seen play yet. I imagine the Hornets will rebrand this summer because the league knows that the timing will never be better.

Hall of Famer
    Finally! I'm through with the home jersey for the Knights. Looks like I'll be pulling a late-nighter in order to finish this for ESPN.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NO Knights (Home).jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	3682
    I really didn't change much on the top, it's nearly identical to the current Hornets jersey, sans the pinstripes. The only other differences are the collar and the fleur-de-lis outline on the sides. The shorts and side panels are a different story, though they are based on the current Hornets gear. I added vertical piping, as well "NOLA" going down the side plus a fleur-de lis symbol.

Name suggestions

I don't know if these have been offered up already but here goes:

New Orleans ....

Pepper
    Spice
    River
    Canes
    Gators
    Commanders

Quote Originally Posted by lubromaniac View Post
    I don't know if these have been offered up already but here goes:

New Orleans ....

Pepper
    Spice
    River
    Canes
    Gators
    Commanders
    You forgot to add sugar. ...And everything nice

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Finally! I'm through with the home jersey for the Knights. Looks like I'll be pulling a late-nighter in order to finish this for ESPN.

I really didn't change much on the top, it's nearly identical to the current Hornets jersey, sans the pinstripes. The only other differences are the collar and the fleur-de-lis outline on the sides. The shorts and side panels are a different story, though they are based on the current Hornets gear. I added vertical piping, as well "NOLA" going down the side plus a fleur-de lis symbol.

I like it. Like the off-center numbers and the design of the Knight/NOLA.

I don't like the red/gold though. Not sure why just doesn't seat with me.
    Wherehappens.

I like it. Like the off-center numbers and the design of the Knight/NOLA.

I don't like the red/gold though. Not sure why just doesn't seat with me.
    You probably associate it with the 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

I definitely like Knights or Neoknights over all other options. I hope one of those is chosen.

Love those Knights jerseys but DESPISE the name Knights

Hall of Famer
    Okay, here's what I'm sending to ESPN. Wish me luck....

Name:	New Orleans Knights Preview Sheet.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	3683
    Purple Haze, I'm with you. I was pretty disappointed at how the red turned out when I scanned it. It looks better on the paper. The use of the color red was supposed to be a tie-in to the NO flag, Baton Rouge, and some other things. I figured I had to go with a bright shade of red to avoid a LeBron-era Cleveland Cavs lookalike. Now that I'm finished though, I'll be happy to try out any color schemes y'all might suggest.

I like the Knights logo, but not sold on KNIGHTS. I'm too lazy to read back, but whats the significance of KNIGHTS to NOLA?

@DatPurpleHornet

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
    I like the Knights logo, but not sold on KNIGHTS. I'm too lazy to read back, but whats the significance of KNIGHTS to NOLA?
    Same here.

Agree...not a bad look but a bad name. What is a Neoknight? Still say the knight designs would fit with Dukes (which does have a tie in to the city). I like the connection without being some forced touristy attempt at a name. If Saints works for football ( and it now clearly does) then Dukes would easily work for basketball. Dukes is the best suggestion by far. Please no Krewe.

Hall of Famer
    Honestly, other than the Mardi Gras connection (some Krewes use the title "Knights" instead of "Krewe"), there really isn't much that doesn't piggyback off of Dukes. Really, they're two sides of the same coin: One sounds cooler and has more marketing potential, the other is unmatched in terms of historical significance.

EDIT: Check out this little tidbit of info I found. Obscure, yes, but it makes the link between Knights and Saints stronger:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...f_Peter_Claver

EDIT 2: Would anybody like me to draw up a redesign of my Knights concept with new colors for the Dukes?
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 04-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Sure, the more Dukes stuff the better

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    You probably associate it with the 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers.
    Subconsciously that very well may be true.

What about the Zydeco.

Okay, here's what I'm sending to ESPN. Wish me luck....

Name:	New Orleans Knights Preview Sheet.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	3683
    Purple Haze, I'm with you. I was pretty disappointed at how the red turned out when I scanned it. It looks better on the paper. The use of the color red was supposed to be a tie-in to the NO flag, Baton Rouge, and some other things. I figured I had to go with a bright shade of red to avoid a LeBron-era Cleveland Cavs lookalike. Now that I'm finished though, I'll be happy to try out any color schemes y'all might suggest.
    WOW man that's really good! I'm not just saying this because I love the Knights name but that logo is fantastic.

You should really try your hand at electronic art. GIMP 2 is free to download. Obviously it's a big jump but after a while you might be great. I'm sure that scan doesn't do your work justice and that just makes me sad because it's pretty friggin awesome scanned.

What a cool logo. Mind sending me the whole file via PM? Just for personal use.

Honestly, other than the Mardi Gras connection (some Krewes use the title "Knights" instead of "Krewe"), there really isn't much that doesn't piggyback off of Dukes. Really, they're two sides of the same coin: One sounds cooler and has more marketing potential, the other is unmatched in terms of historical significance.

EDIT: Check out this little tidbit of info I found. Obscure, yes, but it makes the link between Knights and Saints stronger:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...f_Peter_Claver

EDIT 2: Would anybody like me to draw up a redesign of my Knights concept with new colors for the Dukes?
    BUT WAIT! Knights don't have any tie to New Orleans!

Hall of Famer
    WOW man that's really good! I'm not just saying this because I love the Knights name but that logo is fantastic.

You should really try your hand at electronic art. GIMP 2 is free to download. Obviously it's a big jump but after a while you might be great. I'm sure that scan doesn't do your work justice and that just makes me sad because it's pretty friggin awesome scanned.

What a cool logo. Mind sending me the whole file via PM? Just for personal use.

No problem, I'll get it to you this evening.

Ironically, I do use Gimp. I even used it to help make the jerseys and arrange the design sheet. It's all hand-drawn, but it's "digitally arranged", I suppose. I've used Gimp for a few years now, and though I've become pretty good at making sigs and wallpapers using stocks and renders, I'm still trying to get the hang of purely original graphic design. Thanks for the compliments, though, they really mean a lot.
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 04-27-2012 at 10:43 AM.

BUT WAIT! Knights don't have any tie to New Orleans!
    The Knights of Peter Claver were founded in Mobile, AL, but have their headquarters in NOLA. That's the tie-in?

Hello Shell Shockers!

Panic, I feel a sense of sarcasm in that post.

Panic, I feel a sense of sarcasm in that post.
    Just a tad.

Thread Information