Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Yeah, I honestly didn't make the David Duke connection, and I feel like it was long enough ago that it wouldn't be a big deal. Not saying that means I'm all in on Dukes, but I don't think that's a detractor from it.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I'm kind of miffed at you Dukes ppl for essentially nixing dub creating Knights.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Stellar job, bigdub. I'm not a fan of the name at all, but that logo certainly makes me think on it a bit more.
    Same here lol

Dude is so talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I'm kind of miffed at you Dukes ppl for essentially nixing dub creating Knights.
    Sorry Purple Haze, i like Knights and would be fine with it if Dukes get eliminated, but the Duke tie-ins are much stronger than the Knights will ever be.

I don't want Voodoo, Brass or Pelicans.

Knights? KNIGHTS? You mean the name that thousands of high schools and institutions ALREADY use? Knights? I think Knights is the single most boring name that the New Orleans Hornets could choose for their re-branding. New Orleans, the city itself, is an American Original, and the Franchise deserves an original name. If I want to watch the Knights, I'll go see my High School play it's local rival. GEAUX KREWE!!!

Krewe is leagues above any other name...I like Brass but I saw a New Orleans Brass hockey game when I was little and it just seems like it's piggybacking off the old name Jazz. WE NEED A FRESH START!!! Voodoo already exists (AFL Team) although I like the name, again not original. And if we choose Dukes, Coach K better come in the deal.

Actually...sorry for 3 in a row by the way but...what if it wasn't New Orleans? What if the name was Crescent City Krewe or atleast some alternates like the Rip City in Portland. Crescent City Krewe sounds like music to my ears

The Artist    Contributor   
    Knights? KNIGHTS? You mean the name that thousands of high schools and institutions ALREADY use? Knights? I think Knights is the single most boring name that the New Orleans Hornets could choose for their re-branding. New Orleans, the city itself, is an American Original, and the Franchise deserves an original name. If I want to watch the Knights, I'll go see my High School play it's local rival. GEAUX KREWE!!!

Krewe is leagues above any other name...I like Brass but I saw a New Orleans Brass hockey game when I was little and it just seems like it's piggybacking of the old name Jazz. WE NEED A FRESH START!!! Voodoo already exists although I like the name, again not original. And if we choose Dukes, Coach K better come in the deal.

Actually...sorry for 3 in a row by the way but...what if it wasn't New Orleans? What if the name was Crescent City Krewe or atleast some alternates like the Rip City in Portland. Crescent City Krewe sounds like music to my ears.
    I agree with you on this. I hear everybody's argument for their own name and that's why I take the time to do these concepts so that there 'what if' get's brought to life. I was in love with the Krewe from the get go as it was my inspiration to do my first concept. I think just about every possible name that can be thought of, has been posted between these two threads. Like it or not, if it were up to my choosing, the I'd have to roll with the Krewe! It's just too New Orleans of a name and unique to the league to pass up. Your idea for the 'Crescent City' is a good one as I took to concepting an alternate uniform using it as the Trailblazers do their 'Rip City'.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz1 View Post
    Krewe is leagues above any other name...I like Brass but I saw a New Orleans Brass hockey game when I was little and it just seems like it's piggybacking off the old name Jazz. WE NEED A FRESH START!!! Voodoo already exists (AFL Team) although I like the name, again not original. And if we choose Dukes, Coach K better come in the deal.
    Actually...sorry for 3 in a row by the way but...what if it wasn't New Orleans? What if the name was Crescent City Krewe or atleast some alternates like the Rip City in Portland. Crescent City Krewe sounds like music to my ears

Slow your roll bud

And the Crecent City spin in Krewe is a big bonus to some ppl here, its been discussed a lot in this thread and others.

For the record, I like Krewe and would totally embrace it but feel it might be a bit too different for ppl outside of the Gulf South to understand and/or embrace.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    I agree with you on this. I hear everybody's argument for their own name and that's why I take the time to do these concepts so that there 'what if' get's brought to life. I was in love with the Krewe from the get go as it was my inspiration to do my first concept. I think just about every possible name that can be thought of, has been posted between these two threads. Like it or not, if it were up to my choosing, the I'd have to roll with the Krewe! It's just too New Orleans of a name and unique to the league to pass up. Your idea for the 'Crescent City' is a good one as I took to concepting an alternate uniform using it as the Trailblazers do their 'Rip City'.
    COMPLETELY AGREE! Let's see a Crescent City Krewe concept

I just read through the forum and saw Crescent City Krewe a few pages ago. So props to him. Maybe if we were the Krewe, we could have our home/aways and re-do the Mardi Gras uni to be the Crescent City alternate or keep the Mardi Gras for Mardi Gras season and use our gold alternate now to base the Crescent City's off of. I would buy a Crescent City Krewe jersey before you could say "beignet"

How did we forget Beignets!!!

:P

If we did Krewe, we don't NEED to keep the Mardi Gras jersey as a full time jersey. I'd like to see a full purple, green, or yellow jersey with accent colors (ones not used in main color jersey) to be used. We could always do the MG Jerseys during the MG season b/c I think they're outlandish enough to really fit in with Mardi Gras.

@DatPurpleHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    How did we forget Beignets!!!

:P
    Or the RED BEANS

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
    Or the RED BEANS

Now that is just silly. They wouldn't look good with PGG uniforms.

Funny, but silly.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    For the record, I like Krewe and would totally embrace it but feel it might be a bit too different for ppl outside of the Gulf South to understand and/or embrace.
    I feel the same way. I live in Baton Rouge, and I don't think Krewe would go over any better here than the Hornets have, and we're in the same state (so just think about internationally). But to be totally honest, even though I like Krewe, Voodoo, Knights, etc., I'm starting to think that if we can't get the name Jazz back, then we should just stick with Hornets. If you're looking for an easy-to-market, internationally-acceptable yet still local name, then quite frankly, Jazz is the only choice. Nothing we can possibly come up with is better than that name. Krewe, Dukes, Voodoo, ArcAngels, and the like are all good names (Brass isn't though), but are they good enough to completely overhaul a franchise that already has a decent fanbase? Is it really worth the cost? A more local name isn't going to instantly endear a football-oriented city (and state) to a a basketball squad that's still very much a newbie here. And it's important to remember that the current global marketability of the Saints only came about recently, as a result of their newfound winning ways and America wanting to believe in a comeback story after Katrina. The Hornets could have easily enjoyed that same type of success had they won that seventh game against San Antonio and not fallen apart after the current rebranding effort (new jerseys, Fleur-de-Bee, Mardi Gras uniforms, etc.).

Franchises that are in the midst of a rebuilding process sometimes make hasty decisions. (See: The Cavs quickly ditching their perfectly-fine previous uniforms in favor of their rather dull current ones just because LeBron left). I'm as caught up in all the rebranding fun as everyone else on this board (I love this kind of stuff, always have), but if I were Benson, I'd take a good hard look at doing all I can to make the Hornets as much of a winner as I can, rather than hastily changing the name for a rebranding project that may or may not work. Let's not pull out the can of Raid on the Fleur-de-Bee just yet.
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 04-26-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Sorry, I'm a grammar Nazi lol. Can't help revising and rewording stuff.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    'da Pralines and we can listen to everyone from out-of-state pronounce them as PRAY-leans.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

New Orleans Pilots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    I feel the same way. I live in Baton Rouge, and I don't think Krewe would go over any better here than the Hornets have, and we're in the same state (so just think about internationally). But to be totally honest, even though I like Krewe, Voodoo, Knights, etc., I'm starting to think that if we can't get the name Jazz back, then we should just stick with Hornets. If you're looking for an easy-to-market, internationally-acceptable yet still local name, then quite frankly, Jazz is the only choice. Nothing we can possibly come up with is better than that name. Krewe, Dukes, Voodoo, ArcAngels, and the like are all good names (Brass isn't though), but are they good enough to completely overhaul a franchise that already has a decent fanbase? Is it really worth the cost? A more local name isn't going to instantly endear a football-oriented city (and state) to a a basketball squad that's still very much a newbie here. And it's important to remember that the current global marketability of the Saints only came about recently, as a result of their newfound winning ways and America wanting to believe in a comeback story after Katrina. The Hornets could have easily enjoyed that same type of success had they won that seventh game against San Antonio and not fallen apart after the current rebranding effort (new jerseys, Fleur-de-Bee, Mardi Gras uniforms, etc.).

Franchises that are in the midst of a rebuilding process sometimes make hasty decisions. (See: The Cavs quickly ditching their perfectly-fine previous uniforms in favor of their rather dull current ones just because LeBron left). I'm as caught up in all the rebranding fun as everyone else on this board (I love this kind of stuff, always have), but if I were Benson, I'd take a good hard look at doing all I can to make the Hornets as much of a winner as I can, rather than hastily changing the name for a rebranding project that may or may not work. Let's not pull out the can of Raid on the Fleur-de-Bee just yet.
    Excellent post, you should post more often!

That being said, I can't help but believe that there can be a happy median. A name that radiates our culture but is also very nationally and internationally marketable.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    No post can be excellent when it suggests keeping the Hornets.

I agree that Krewe does not resonate well with ppl outside of NOLA and many New Orleanians that I have talked to don't like it either. I realize not everyone will be happy with the name chosen. I like New Orleans Pilots. It not only fits in Nola but also with the entire state considering the Mighty Mississippi runs straight through Louisiana. The name is unique and it sounds good. It isn't a generic high school name like knights and its't so over the top that it seems like we are trying too hard to be different. I realize not many other people like Pilots but give it some thought and I think you'll realize how well it fits the City, state, and gulf coast region.

I like Pilots better than some, its not horrible.

I'm terrified of some Jets-esque logo though I know you mean river pilots but again, most ppl will assume airplane.

I enjoy the discussion of Krewe because I suppose the Hornets have a farther reach than New Orleans but there is the Columbus Crew soccer team. A crew is a Krewe is a crew...what's so confusing to outsiders? I like Pilots but my dad is a Pilot from New Orleans so I'm way biased there.

The Artist    Contributor   
    I agree that Krewe does not resonate well with ppl outside of NOLA and many New Orleanians that I have talked to don't like it either. I realize not everyone will be happy with the name chosen. I like New Orleans Pilots. It not only fits in Nola but also with the entire state considering the Mighty Mississippi runs straight through Louisiana. The name is unique and it sounds good. It isn't a generic high school name like knights and its't so over the top that it seems like we are trying too hard to be different. I realize not many other people like Pilots but give it some thought and I think you'll realize how well it fits the City, state, and gulf coast region.
    Man I swear you are as passionate about that name as Hornets78, was about the Arcangels! I'm going to have to move your request to the front of the pile!

I hope Benson hired a good team of professionals to come up with good options. Hopefully something we haven't thought of that will make us say "Why the hell didn't we think of that?"

Thread Information