Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Don't leave out Sammy Knight.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I guess the same could be said of Sally and David though, couldn't it?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

We could get the Marching 100 of the St. Augustine Purple NeoNights to perform at halftime.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

did I mention the the Honeybees will become the New Orleans Ladies? although I am just having fun, that wasn't a bad song at all...

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I guess the same could be said of Sally and David though, couldn't it?
    No, it could not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    We could get the Marching 100 of the St. Augustine Purple NeoNights to perform at halftime.
    You can feel the hair on your neck stand up any time those NeoNights begin to play.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    No, it could not.
    the same could be said of Sally and David...I will bite and ask why you suggested I couldn't say it though...

New Orleans Pilots!

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    the same could be said of Sally and David...I will bite and ask why you suggested I couldn't say it though...
    I had nothing so I reverted to the tactic of my 7 year old daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    I had nothing so I reverted to the tactic of my 7 year old daughter.
    I am not all that fond of your hair, but you are ok otherwise...

The Artist    Contributor   
    I've drawn a quick design of just a face within an embellished helmet. It works better for me than Knights, but it's just the name Dukes that I think most people outside of NOLA will hear and go, "What?"

So a name that was thrown out way earlier in this process that relates to our entire state and target area for marketing...Hurricanes! Damn if Miami and Carolina uses it, that is a name both powerful and relevant to not only ourselves, but the entire Gulf Coast. What say you?

So is there a rule against 2 teams from separate sports leagues having the same name? You know, as in Voodoo's case. Because if not that name is too perfect not to use. Nahmsayin?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    I've drawn a quick design of just a face within an embellished helmet. It works better for me than Knights, but it's just the name Dukes that I think most people outside of NOLA will hear and go, "What?"

So a name that was thrown out way earlier in this process that relates to our entire state and target area for marketing...Hurricanes! Damn if Miami and Carolina uses it, that is a name both powerful and relevant to not only ourselves, but the entire Gulf Coast. What say you?
    I'd be interested to see your design.

I think a lot of people (myself included) would be turned off by that name, at least at first.

I also imagine it would cause quite a stir in the media - both locally and nationally.

But maybe that's a good thing -- all press is good press right?

I'd be interested to see your design.

I think a lot of people (myself included) would be turned off by that name, at least at first.

I also imagine it would cause quite a stir in the media - both locally and nationally.

But maybe that's a good thing -- all press is good press right?
    Not unless you're the Saints right about now! ESPN has nothing better to do than to mess with us...SMH...but I'm working on digitizing the logo now.

So is there a rule against 2 teams from separate sports leagues having the same name? You know, as in Voodoo's case. Because if not that name is too perfect not to use. Nahmsayin?
    I don't believe that there is! But I do think that it was pose a problem considering the same name would be utilized for both a semi and pro team located in the sam city. I think that we're reaching for straws with the VooDoo. As much as I like it and think it would fit us soo well, I can't see Benson buying that brand back considering that he just sold it like 2 or 3yrs. ago.

I know some of you may not like it, but considering he has the rights to the name Pelican, I wouldn't be totally suprised if that name wound up in a run-off if they're were to be one. It would fit his main criteria point that he mentioned in the press confrence about it (the name) being something New Orleans. Although as the Pelicans, we would be more inclined to the State seeing as it is our official bird. It wouldn't bother me as a choice, but it would be waaaay down on my list of options.

You know I would like people to think a bit more into their name choice, not as a primary option for the team to be called, but how would you use that name as a play into marketing? As the Hornets we have the Honeybees, The Used-To-Bees, Stingers, Hive/Arena, Beefense (which I think is corny, but eh..) etc. If you put into play names like (River) Pilots, Reapers, Arcangels, etc. How do you market your name? This is a major hurdle that this organization is going to have to cross when it comes down to name selection.

It's easy when you can ask a fan to "Be A Part of the Krewe" or like someone mentioned "Enjoy Guy's Knight Out at the New Orleans Arena". Things like that have to be taken into account. Mascots! What are they going to look like? How will it translate to basketball? And how will it play into you demograpichs/age brackets? So before everybody throws a name out there simply because it hold's revelance to things in this city both past or present, think about how you would promote this team in the long run to make it meaningful!

When the name Jazz was announced, most of the world said "What?" it wasn't the typical name, and it did take some time getting used to, but it was unique.

Hurricanes - natural fit, but may be too soon, and may bring up memories of Katrina that need to be left forgotten.

Storm?

Our old soccer team was the Storm, after Couhig bought the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
    New Orleans Dukes designs, added in the New Orleans flag to the first one, the second is a more simple alternative, and then some uniform ideas

Attachment 3664Attachment 3665Attachment 3666Attachment 3667
    I'm not throwing my support to Dukes but that is a nice logo. Good job!

I don't believe that there is! But I do think that it was pose a problem considering the same name would be utilized for both a semi and pro team located in the sam city. I think that we're reaching for straws with the VooDoo.

Hall of Famer
    You know I would like people to think a bit more into their name choice, not as a primary option for the team to be called, but how would you use that name as a play into marketing? As the Hornets we have the Honeybees, The Used-To-Bees, Stingers, Hive/Arena, Beefense (which I think is corny, but eh..) etc. If you put into play names like (River) Pilots, Reapers, Arcangels, etc. How do you market your name? This is a major hurdle that this organization is going to have to cross when it comes down to name selection.

It's easy when you can ask a fan to "Be A Part of the Krewe" or like someone mentioned "Enjoy Guy's Knight Out at the New Orleans Arena". Things like that have to be taken into account. Mascots! What are they going to look like? How will it translate to basketball? And how will it play into you demograpichs/age brackets? So before everybody throws a name out there simply because it hold's revelance to things in this city both past or present, think about how you would promote this team in the long run to make it meaningful!
    Well, if we're going by that, then VooDoo becomes the obvious choice, due to it already having an identity (VooDoo dolls, etc.). Good point though.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    One word: Katrina. There's no way we use a name that even remotely hints at a Katrina connection, nor should we. I would've liked the name pre-2005, though.

I don't believe that there is! But I do think that it was pose a problem considering the same name would be utilized for both a semi and pro team located in the sam city. I think that we're reaching for straws with the VooDoo. As much as I like it and think it would fit us soo well, I can't see Benson buying that brand back considering that he just sold it like 2 or 3yrs. ago.

I know some of you may not like it, but considering he has the rights to the name Pelican, I wouldn't be totally suprised if that name wound up in a run-off if they're were to be one. It would fit his main criteria point that he mentioned in the press confrence about it (the name) being something New Orleans. Although as the Pelicans, we would be more inclined to the State seeing as it is our official bird. It wouldn't bother me as a choice, but it would be waaaay down on my list of options.
    It'll be interesting to see what the final choice is. I imagine that it won't be "surprising" to locals.

I feel like there are three categories of names out there.

The first are the logical ones: Brass, Pelicans, Krewe (if only because the team already uses "Krewe" as part of their branding), VooDoo (assuming we can get the name). Jazz would be here if it was an option. These are the ones that scream New Orleans.
    The next are the kinda/sorta/maybe names: Pilots, Buccaneers, Privateers, Gators, Hurricanes, etc. These are ones that could be New Orleanian, but maybe at first glance. Or they might have negative connections to SE LA, like Gators (UofFlorida) or Hurricanes (Katrina). I think it's possible though that the choice could be from this list.
    And last you have the generic names that could fit any city: Knights, Tigers, Ballers, etc etc etc.

I'm obviously not naming all the possible names, but I think ya'll can get my point.

Spot on.

This is what will take the most time -- not just creating a Logo and Jerseys, but the entire branding and marketing package that goes along with it will need to be created from the ground up. Not an easy task in a few months, but the Thunder were able to do it.

As for a mascot - New Orleans/Louisiana have enough native critters that even if we go with something like Brass or Krewe you could have a Crawfish or Alligator or Pelican as the "mascot." I mean, Philly has a Rabbit, the Spurs have a Coyote, Phoenix has a Gorilla, and both Utah and Houston have Bears.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I think they should go back to Buccaneers. Or use Pirates and update the logo. Or if you want to do a French type thing you can go Boucaniers. Maybe we should see if any nicknames would be cool in a Creole or French version.

Dub, I see where you are coming from but I do not agree. I'm not just disagreeing for the sake of the Pilots name either.

I agree the brand has to be represented by a mascot etc (I think that's easy for any team name in Louisiana). However, attaching puns and silly nicknames to every single aspect of the brand is a mistake. It becomes hard to take the organization seriously. For instance the Lakers don't have a nickname for the staples center and silly chants when the team is on the floor. To my knowledge our organization has more chants, saying,nicknames, etc. than any other organization and it hasn't exactly worked to create huge interest in the team or organization as a whole. A name like Saints isn't exactly easy to connect with team dancers, sayings, etc. but the organization has made it work in large part bc the name connects with the city. In my opinion simply having a name that is a representative of the city/region makes it 10X easier to market and will make all of those silly extras completely unnecessary.

Also with companies potentially looking to buy naming rights to the arena we will no longer need a nickname like "The Hive" for our basketball venue. No matter what brand we choose the organization can ask the fans to be part of the "Krewe". And do you really think "guys Knight out" has a bigger impact than "Guys Night Out"? I realize that was just an example and I'm not trying to drill you or force you to see it my way but in my opinion those extra "marketing" tactics are overrated and truly not necessary.
    Last edited by ATR22; 04-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    One word: Katrina. There's no way we use a name that even remotely hints at a Katrina connection, nor should we. I would've liked the name pre-2005, though.
    This. You might as well work on a concept design for the New Orleans Dead Bodies Floating in the 17th Street Canal.

Also, Pilots is not happening, give up the dream.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    This. You might as well work on a concept design for the New Orleans Dead Bodies Floating in the 17th Street Canal.

Also, Pilots is not happening, give up the dream.
    I get the point of your first statement, but I am just not real keen on the way you chose to say it...

Thread Information