Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

I was and am still a big Krewe guy, but Knights might be my new favorite right now.

New Orleans Knights sounds terrific.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    the Lakers have their Mamba, but could you imagine if we did get Davis....we would then counter with our Black Knight!
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

It's game Knight.

He's really shooting the ball Knights out.

That was quite the chess pass.

/Gil.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Bigdub is making some stuff for the Knights now. The mascot should be called the Cajun Crusader. What do you guys think about "the Cajun Crusader" as the mascot's name?

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I feel like red and yellow would be good primary colors for a Knights concept; I can't really think of any other NBA team that rocks those primary colors.

Also I don't really care about mascots but that sounds cool I guess.

The Franchise
    I am sorry but what relevance does Knights have to New Orleans? I saw one explanation that was very much clutching at straws. Any name you can do that for even Hornets. Isn't finding a relevant name what we are after?

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Bigdub is making some stuff for the Knights now. The mascot should be called the Cajun Crusader. What do you guys think about "the Cajun Crusader" as the mascot's name?
    there are so many ways to go with a mascot name, but why not throw another nick a bone and call him the Cajun Krewesader (or maybe have the Zanies renamed the Krewesaders)...I am way too old for this, but I am getting more and more into the Knights...the way just saying New Orleans Knights flows so easily and just sounds so natural...and I love things like the New Orleans Kniightlife...I would love to see BigDub come up with some items involving the Knights....

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    I am sorry but what relevance does Knights have to New Orleans? I saw one explanation that was very much clutching at straws. Any name you can do that for even Hornets. Isn't finding a relevant name what we are after?
    I am not bright enough to satisfy your quest for a true relevance to the city/area (although, there very well might be one), but I would contend that it would be name that "we" came up with for "our" franchise and not one that just came along with the sale...

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    I see what you're saying. It is a generic-ish name, but like ramsters said, it can be actually created with OUR connection in mind, not some other city's. I mean, really we can sit down and examine the term "Saints" in a vacuum and that can be considered a kinda generic name that could technically be applied anywhere. But it's a unique mascot. Knights would have that same uniqueness as the first pro team with the name and would connect with the Saints as regal, prestigious figures to represent the city.

Plus, I see the connection of wordplay as relevance to the city...New Orleans is famous for its NIGHTlife, so the mascot Knights--the New Orleans Knights--would be a reference to that as well as a homage to one of the former franchises of the city, the "Night". Plus, the word itself lends itself to a free-flowing consonance with the city name.

It also lends itself to some creative marketing name opportunities like crusader (Krewesaders--I like that one), a knight's COURT (since we're talking basketball), and probably some others but I don't feel like thinking right now...haha
    Last edited by djpaul89; 04-20-2012 at 09:53 PM.

this might not appeal to some, but I found it quite interesting nonetheless....there are numerous Knight tie-ins to the city of New Orleans such as the nickname for SUNO athletics etc., various Carnival Krewes such as Babylon, Sparta, Momus, Hermes, and Choas (my apologies if I am leaving out any others), St. Augustine High School are the Purple Knights....one more thing and I will close my mouth for a while, but its something that didn't hit me until just now....how would you feel about keeping things in the singular and become the Knight instead of the Knights?.....not totally unlike the Jazz, Brass, Thunder and Heat when you think about it....I don't hear Oklahoma City being called the Thunders, so do you think the media could get us right too? Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see so many correlations already existed around here, so why not a professional basketball team?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Knights has the most realsitic shot, really. Only because it's safe and generic while having some tie-ins you can work in.

If we're the Knights, I won't care. Give us an excuse to go around calling each other Ser such and such.

Though I'd be a rouge that works for the little midget that is secretly the most badass person in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    this might not appeal to some, but I found it quite interesting nonetheless....there are numerous Knight tie-ins to the city of New Orleans such as the nickname for SUNO athletics etc., various Carnival Krewes such as Babylon, Sparta, Momus, Hermes, and Choas (my apologies if I am leaving out any others), St. Augustine High School are the Purple Knights....one more thing and I will close my mouth for a while, but its something that didn't hit me until just now....how would you feel about keeping things in the singular and become the Knight instead of the Knights?.....not totally unlike the Jazz, Brass, Thunder and Heat when you think about it....I don't hear Oklahoma City being called the Thunders, so do you think the media could get us right too? Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see so many correlations already existed around here, so why not a professional basketball team?
    Ya but all those teams you named are in their plural form. The plural form of Knight is Knights. It doesn't really make sense to call a team by just one thing. I know you can debate the fact of multiple Heat, Brass etc. but you're not gonna call them the Heats or the Thunders because it just doesn't make sense. Knight actually has a plural form so that is what would be used.

Knights is a perfect name. It doesn't feel as amateurish as ArcAngels or Krewe, and it doesn't feel like a step child to Jazz like Brass does.

Also, it could retain some international fans that could also relate to a Knight.

I was really being facetious when I used the term Thunders (believe it or not, I was an English major ...you are absolutely correct about your tenses and we would be the only team in the NBA who would have a plural form (using an S), but took the unique way out and chose not to use it...and its ok, I have had some pretty lousy ideas in the past too! I am actually a huge advocate of the Knights, but just thought it was something to consider...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    The main reason why the Knights would be great because it's a rebrand not a completely new team. If they want a quick and easy choice that can fit and build on into the future if it works, The Knights is the probably the best. I have a hunch that the team may go in that direction because it's the safest. It's similar to what the Sonics did, but c'mon this would have more in common with NO than the Thunder has with OKC. The Knights is atleast something you could work with.
    Last edited by wuggie; 04-20-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knights.bmp.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	3653

NEW ORLEANS KNIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by kaitos View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knights.bmp.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	3653

NEW ORLEANS KNIGHTS
    I am getting very close to being "in", kaitos!

I'm a Brazilian Fan of the HORNETS... since Charlotte

I'm very sad with the KILL Hornets name...

But i undestend the important of the rebrand, and i'm in... i like Knights, ArcAngels, Crusaders e Corsairs

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Knights has the most realsitic shot, really. Only because it's safe and generic
    Actually, that's precisely why it probably doesn't have a realistic shot.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Knights is to plain and generic... but its better than Hornets... my names would be:
    Voodoo forget the AFL team they can rebrand, Zephyrs but minor league has that name, since the Jazz is taken we could go for the Blues, Cresents, Creoles, Kingfish(stole it from the old hockey team in BR), Soul, and the Big Easy they are in no order just typed them as i thought

Quote Originally Posted by bigtom9221 View Post
    We need to keep a religious nickname

-New Orleans Bishops
    -New Orleans Captains
    -New Orleans Crusaders, Crescent City Crusaders
    -New Orleans Evangels
    I kinda like bishops. I like the captains idea but it Should be Pilots. They mean the same thing but Pilots is the proper term and its more unique. To me Knights is absolutely Awful. So generic and just no REAL significance, same with Crusaders which would turn into 'Saders in the 1st week. And the league is not gonna go for Reapers, this isn't the XFL.
    Last edited by ATR22; 04-20-2012 at 11:18 PM.

We'll use the logo/jersey from Like Mike lol. Soul/Knights were names i thought of a while back, I personally like the Knights. Alliteration on the name is nice. Great to see others agreeing
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

I'm still pushing for Dukes.

New Orleans Dukes!

Unique

Ties in with our music, Dukes of Dixieland

Mardi Gras, every krewe has Dukes (officers)

Also ties in with our French heritage, as we were named after the Duke of Orleans.

Sadly, this is the only image I could come up with

wait, I have another

Now let's get Dub on Dukes, and we could have our name.

Chris Trew / Terp 2 it Penuckle's Avatar
    Man, you guys should check out the AFL Voodoo board they are going crazy with rebrand stuff right now. It must be in the air.
    Trew 2 the Game: New column + podcast every Tuesday on BourbonStShots.com and Itsneworleans.com

Co-founder of The New Movement/Studio8.net
    http://twitter.com/christrew

This is New Orleans, since when has "safe and generic" been important to us here.

We are a unique people with rich traditions. Although it sounds OK, Knights have little or nothing to do with New Orleans.

A Mardi Gras theme is the most relevant and appropriate thing we can do. And for now the "Krewe" is the best that we have in that category. We are not sofisticated here. I am proud to have a name that means something to us. I dont care if it means anything to someone else in another place. The importance is that WE can rally around and support this team. Not that anyone else gets what the name means.

I think with a Mardi Gras theme, with Mardi Gras colors, and using that brilliant NOLA trumpet logo (the green one) to be promenent even if its a secondary logo, that we can really get people HERE to be excited and fully support this team.

The national people will come around once they see the local excitement, they'll get it.

I was born and raised here and went to and graduated from UNO. In all of that time (over 40 years) I don't ever remember hearing the term "Corsair". I don't see how this is even faintly relevant to anyone who was born in the last 150 years. This name would be an embarrassment to me, because its too sophisticated. If someone from New Orleans has never heard of the term how can it be relevant in New Orleans today?

Thread Information