Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    This. You might as well work on a concept design for the New Orleans Dead Bodies Floating in the 17th Street Canal.

Also, Pilots is not happening, give up the dream.
    Ya never know! until it doesn't happen there is still a chance

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I get the point of your first statement, but I am just not real keen on the way you chose to say it...
    Some people just need the hammer over the head -- didn't mean to be offensive, though. That's basically the imagery you evoke with Hurricanes in New Orleans now.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Latter Day Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Latter Day Saints.
    I would only agree to this if our mascot were named John Smith.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Some people just need the hammer over the head -- didn't mean to be offensive, though. That's basically the imagery you evoke with Hurricanes in New Orleans now.
    You're right, but check this out.........turns out that the first pro basketball team in New Orleans was named the Hurricanes!
    http://defendneworleans.com/blog/hor...itive-history/
    Doesn't change anything, still a highly questionable name, but I just found that little tidbit of info interesting.

Font of Sports Knowledge B-Rich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    I would only agree to this if our mascot were named John Smith.
    I think you mean JOSEPH Smith. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith

Rebrand Ideas join the facebook group!!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/276915449063415/

Quote Originally Posted by aussieNOHfan View Post
    Rebrand Ideas join the facebook group!!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/276915449063415/
    No thank you, I read enough of the crazy suggestions on Hornets forums...

@DatPurpleHornet

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
    No thank you, I read enough of the crazy suggestions on Hornets forums...
    hahaha, thats for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rich View Post
    I think you mean JOSEPH Smith. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith
    Oops.

did I miss Dub's Dukes mock ups?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    The New Orleans Christian Rock

THE NEW ORLEANS POT
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Cresent City Goon Squad
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

The Artist    Contributor   
    One word: Katrina. There's no way we use a name that even remotely hints at a Katrina connection, nor should we. I would've liked the name pre-2005, though.
    I hear your objection, but I'm just wondering at what point do we stop being afraid? When did Hurricane join the ranks of Lord Voldemort by people saying "that which shall not be named"? You didn't see Carolina or Miami change there team name when they are as, and in most cases, even more succeptable to these storms than we are! We caught a bad break, but such is the life we choose by living in this city we call home.

These storms will always be a part of us, like it or not, named or not. We cannot stop them or make them go away, and the defense that we put faith in our goverment to protect us, ultimately led to our demise. We celebrate our own misgivings in this city with a vigor unlike any in America. We laugh at ourselves but the underlying revelance to it all is that WE and only WE can do it!

We would not be mocking those that have died or suffered at the destruction of any hurricane to ever grace our shores. We would only be embracing a part of our livelyhood that is much a part of us as eating crawfish and celebrating mardi gras. Those mid-west teams that might be named the Twisers or Cyclones, East Asia teams named Typhoons or Tsunami, are they making fun of themselves? Or are they simply embracing a fact that because of their sheer virtue of continuing to live where they are, they too must embrace such entity's as a part of their life. Their own unique culture!

I agree the brand has to be represented by a mascot etc (I think that's easy for any team name in Louisiana). However, attaching puns and silly nicknames to every single aspect of the brand is a mistake. It becomes hard to take the organization seriously. For instance the Lakers don't have a nickname for the staples center and silly chants when the team is on the floor. To my knowledge our organization has more chants, saying,nicknames, etc. than any other organization and it hasn't exactly worked to create huge interest in the team or organization as a whole. A name like Saints isn't exactly easy to connect with team dancers, sayings, etc. but the organization has made it work in large part bc the name connects with the city. In my opinion simply having a name that is a representative of the city/region makes it 10X easier to market and will make all of those silly extras completely unnecessary.

Also with companies potentially looking to buy naming rights to the arena we will no longer need a nickname like "The Hive" for our basketball venue. No matter what brand we choose the organization can ask the fans to be part of the "Krewe". And do you really think "guys Knight out" has a bigger impact than "Guys Night Out"? I realize that was just an example and I'm not trying to drill you or force you to see it my way but in my opinion those extra "marketing" tactics are overrated and truly not necessary.
    You make a great and compelling argument. My observation was merely based off of current protocol, not a definitive suggestion. I agree that such tactics are not necessarily needed but some can help, and yes teams such as ourselves can go a bit overboard with it all. There are times when I'm at a game and everything with a 'Bee' catchprase just makes me grimmace a bit!

I would rather keep to the basics and let our team do the talking. I shall put OKC into this category with a playoff caliber team that they have, envious only in that fashion and not the un-fashionable brand identity that they have chosen for themselves. I just can't see (or hope) that Benson doesn't "connect" to us as greatly as we want him to, and as he has stated already.

He could have changed the colors and identity of the Saints if he wanted to. He chose not to. He birthed the VooDoo franchise and it was one of the better identites of the AFL League up until it's folding. And I say that because I really can't stand their new look and figure for the life of me, why isn't the logo colored correctly in the endzone? Acquiring this franchise gives him yet another fresh start to make something 'New Orleans'. It has just been those of us going back and forth on this forum to figure out just what 'New Orleans' is New Orleans!

I think you and I are on the same page Dub. I agree with your Benson assessment. He's been here too long and has too much money invested to screw up on choosing a name. I think he realizes this one decision will have a big impact on the future.

And for the record we can call the Pilots dance squad the 1st mates,deckhands or dancehands(that's awful), or skippers, or simply just the Pilot girls.

Also, can we expect to see any of your latest masterpieces any time soon or are you keeping them for yourself?
    Last edited by ATR22; 04-25-2012 at 06:42 PM.

New poster here. I'm a die hard Cavs fan, but I really like whats going down in the Big Easy. You guys will have a fast rebuild and have an opportunity to swing things around real fast.

As far as rebranding and name changing, I really like the Crescent City Krewe. There is a lot of New Orleans culture being represented in that name. I personally have never been a fan of teh Hornets name, growing up in the 90's I have always related it with Charlotte.

Good luck in you rebuild, and may the ping pong balls bounce in your favor....unless it hurts the Cavs lol.

New Orleans Templars

They were killed on friday the 13th just like our league ownership.

Thanks, Cavs dude.

Here is what I came up for the Dukes. Originally I had a helmeted man inside of the shield surrounded by the fdl's, but I didn't like it on second thought. I rearranged the fdl's and added the white 3-bar above so that it resembles the shield of the Duke of Orleans.

That is pretty hot!

When Benson agrees, let him know it was my idea for the name.

Heck I'm ready to order some t-shirts with that logo.

Great job bigdub!

Still like the Arcangels name and logo better!

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Hall of Famer
    Stellar job, bigdub. I'm not a fan of the name at all, but that logo certainly makes me think on it a bit more.

Still like the Arcangels name and logo better!
    Funny, I had a feeling this was coming!

Thread Information