Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    Yea, all knights are not Dukes because not every Knight can be brother of the King. It was an honorary label for the younger brothers to not feel shafted.
    And yet that is who our fine city is named after.

Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich might be the best I can come up with but it shows some historical significance with the city whereas Knight has none. I'm not suggesting we become "the Duke" in honor of this guy. I provided him as an example. The Dukes, has many tie ins from more than one angle. Knights is like the name of a team from an after school special. They do still have those right?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Not even going to lie, I don't like Dukes. Doesn't seem too New Orleans-y and it just plain isn't that cool of a nickname IMO. But I could definitely live with it. The only name that I would even consider my fanhood over that I have heard thus far is Reapers. I would follow the team still of course, but its way too dark. I wouldn't want ot buy any of their merchandise and I would almost be embarrassed to say I followed a team called the Reapers. I would follow them because they are NOLA, but I might take a step back from fanatic to casual.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 04-23-2012 at 11:41 AM.

What about this as the mascot/logo

what about if you took the duke costume and put it on the worlds fair pelican
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pelican.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	3660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duke.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	3661  

Well Mr. West, I would consider that progress. I know you you realize that there was nothing exclusive about Saints either. I'm sure many on here would have turned it down had it been put to a vote. Perhaps a vote would have produced the New Orleans Etouffees of the NFL? Dukes has a uniqueness about it that could be tied to the city and personified properly...accomplishing both is hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Not even going to lie, I don't like Dukes. Doesn't seem too New Orleans-y and it just plain isn't that cool of a nickname IMO. But I could definitely live with it. The only name that I would even consider my fanhood over that I have heard thus far is Reapers. I would follow the team still of course, but its way too dark. I wouldn't want ot buy any of their merchandise and I would almost be embarrassed to say I followed a team called the Reapers. I would follow them because they are NOLA, but I might take a step back from fanatic to casual.
    Man there's some sensitive cats on this board LOL. I'd rather it be dark then some generic/disney type of name. But thats just me. I do agree with you on Dukes tho....

New Orleans Pilots

Crescent City Coyotes

Lol

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    The Harry Potters
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

The best you could do was some Russian nephew of a king who was fired as grand Admiral after losing a battle to Japan. Cool story bro!
    Considering that he picked Purple, Green, and Gold as the colors of Mardi Gras...yea, I'd say he was pretty important. His visit also stirred up some serious pro-Royalty feelings in New Orleans -- ever wonder why our krewes have balls, courts, kings, queens, princesses, princes, dukes, duchesses, etc? This guy helped to spark that.

The best you could do was some Russian nephew of a king who was fired as grand Admiral after losing a battle to Japan. Cool story bro!
    Agree with DRob8785... The Duke was instrumental in establishing many of the traditions of Mardi Gras that remain today.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

What about The Derps instead of The Dukes?

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    Considering that he picked Purple, Green, and Gold as the colors of Mardi Gras...yea, I'd say he was pretty important. His visit also stirred up some serious pro-Royalty feelings in New Orleans -- ever wonder why our krewes have balls, courts, kings, queens, princesses, princes, dukes, duchesses, etc? This guy helped to spark that.
    I enjoy the celebration of Mardi Gras but never enjoyed the imagery of self-entitled royalty throwing non-valuable goods to their peasants. And as a libertarian principled individual, I despise the monarchist ideals of those involved with the "Krewes". Therefore the idea of having our team named after some royal lackey makes me sick to mu stomach. But that is my personal opinion, of course.

Even as imagery you may be taking the royalty thing a bit too far. In the end it's just a party. I've never considered myself a peasant while watching a parade nor did I ever view a krewe member as being actual royalty. As a Catholic cheering for Voodoo could send me to hell. And yet I entered the Graveyard.

The Artist    Contributor   
    Wow Gamebreaker, I never thought of it that way! It's kind of messed up in that sense. And then you could go even further by saying that even still, clout, connections and money are some of the main way's you can even get into some of these Krewe's. Makes you think....

I agree with the whole Krewe thing. Was never a big fan. Wasn't creative and wasn't the right fit needed for a rebrand.

I'm ok with Brass. Not a great name, but not a bad name either. VooDoo would be great, but we'll see what happens with that. Other than VooDoo, no obvious choices.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

New Orleans Dukes designs, added in the New Orleans flag to the first one, the second is a more simple alternative, and then some uniform ideas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new orleans dukes.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	3664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new orleans dukes 2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	3665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new orleans dukes jersey.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	3666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dukes eric gordon2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	3667

Those are pretty good.

Good effort!

The New Orleans Bigdubs!

[IMG] turd by abohorse78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Love seeing concepts. Wish I had the skill set to do one. Thanks.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Got to admit, I really like those Duke designs there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    The only name that I would even consider my fanhood over that I have heard thus far is Reapers. I would follow the team still of course, but its way too dark. I wouldn't want ot buy any of their merchandise and I would almost be embarrassed to say I followed a team called the Reapers. I would follow them because they are NOLA, but I might take a step back from fanatic to casual.
    agree our fans would look like a bunch of goths, voodoo is kinda dark too...go breakers! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_Orleans_Breakers.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	3670

You like Breakers even though it was a holdover name from Boston? The name didn't even stop in New Orleans...it went with the team when they moved to Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    You like Breakers even though it was a holdover name from Boston? The name didn't even stop in New Orleans...it went with the team when they moved to Portland.

That's why the name should be Pilots! It sticks with the Nautical theme, has relevance to the city and region now and always will, and its unique. Can't wait to see Dub's concept.
    Last edited by ATR22; 04-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Thread Information