Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    I wish people would get off the whole "It's already a team name in another league" deal! So what? I am really digging the (Arc)Angels even more than before. Even more than the Krewe. I've even gone as far as composing opening theme music and different tie-in's to the name. I have dedicated about 15 pages to designs and logo variations since someone mentioned it was "too busy". I would have liked a variation on a pirate theme, but after visiting Barnes & Nobles last night for research, I decided against Jean Lafitte as a primary logo image. Primarly because he sold slaves and I don't think that part of history would bode to well amongst players and the league image wise.

Another reason that I am in favor of Angels, is because it is a symbolic, primary icon that invokes strength, spirit, determination, will, fear and fortitude. A symbol idolized by many religions of our city, including even voodoo. I sat in that store for hours thumbing through book after local book, trying to find the one non-obvious image that this city could relate to other than hurricanes, mardi gras and huge *** beers!

A book fell from my arms as I was walking back to my table in the Starbucks section. It opened to an image of an Angel nestled in a cemetery, silhouette against the sun. I took it as an inspirational hint. I asked a lady what she thought of the image, she said to her that the angel was being brought to light by the sun. That even though you can't see it for what it is, it is always there and we make it as we see fit.

How's that for inspiration?
    I'm cool with Angels. Alot can be done with it.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Isn't it ArchAngels with an H? I'm warming to Angels (Saints and Angels is kind of cool to think about) but then again I'd prefer an original name like Krewe. Whoever said something about the old Jordan logo with wings...that logo is SWEEEEET.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz1 View Post
    Isn't it ArchAngels with an H? I'm warming to Angels (Saints and Angels is kind of cool to think about) but then again I'd prefer an original name like Krewe. Whoever said something about the old Jordan logo with wings...that logo is SWEEEEET.
    It is with an H, but I left it out since it makes more sense basketball wise with arc.

Quote Originally Posted by bandogo View Post
    Angels

Already taken by MLB team in Anaheim. Spirit is awful. If name is changed it will either be pelicans ,brass or Krewe.
    Rangers, Giants, and Jets are 'double names'. If NY does it, so can we. Whether want to is another story.

Add Panthers and Kings to the list.

Obvious name....

New Orleans PARTY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    I wish people would get off the whole "It's already a team name in another league" deal! So what? I am really digging the (Arc)Angels even more than before. Even more than the Krewe. I've even gone as far as composing opening theme music and different tie-in's to the name. I have dedicated about 15 pages to designs and logo variations since someone mentioned it was "too busy". I would have liked a variation on a pirate theme, but after visiting Barnes & Nobles last night for research, I decided against Jean Lafitte as a primary logo image. Primarly because he sold slaves and I don't think that part of history would bode to well amongst players and the league image wise.

Another reason that I am in favor of Angels, is because it is a symbolic, primary icon that invokes strength, spirit, determination, will, fear and fortitude. A symbol idolized by many religions of our city, including even voodoo. I sat in that store for hours thumbing through book after local book, trying to find the one non-obvious image that this city could relate to other than hurricanes, mardi gras and huge *** beers!

A book fell from my arms as I was walking back to my table in the Starbucks section. It opened to an image of an Angel nestled in a cemetery, silhouette against the sun. I took it as an inspirational hint. I asked a lady what she thought of the image, she said to her that the angel was being brought to light by the sun. That even though you can't see it for what it is, it is always there and we make it as we see fit.

How's that for inspiration?
    Angels has grown on me and i realize how much sense it makes for Tom Benson. Dub, stick with Angels, ArcAngels is creative as I have said in the past but it just doesn;t sound good and everyone would end up calling them the Angels anyway. Just my opinion

*I said it was too busy and here's my thoughts on why: Feel free to disagree

1) Simple, clean designs are the ones that last and don't have to be redone every few years.

2) Merchandise with simple, clean designs is the merchandise that sells. Color scheme also plays a part in this. When I go to games and am wearing my hornets gear I don't want it to look like I'm wearing an Affliction T. That's the vibe I get from the Arc(h)angels logo. Its a cool design just not sure if it fits as a team logo.
    Last edited by ATR22; 05-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Yeah it has to be simple. Angels could really work, I'm warming to the idea.
    Wherehappens.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    The Bee Zanies could be the Fallen Angels. I'm just saying.

Not a fan of Angels. It works well in LA because of the alliteration in the name. Los Angeles Angels. Rolls off the tongue. Thats why i like the Knights. It rolls right off the tongue.
    Last edited by Big-EZ; 05-06-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Angel is horrid, really

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    If you find yourself 'warming' to the idea of Angels then find the nearest meat freezer and lock yourself it in!
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatMan504 View Post
    Not a fan of Angels. It works well in LA because of the alliteration in the name. Los Angeles Angels. Rolls off the tongue. Thats why i like the Knights. It rolls right off the tongue.
    Because the name is basically the The Angels Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    Angel is horrid, really
    How about Arc(h)angels?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I'd just rather not have anything that either is or could be construed to be a play on Saints. I'd like the NBA team's brand to stand on its own. Separate logo, separate colors, separate everything to get behind. I don't want the team to be an extension of the Saints even in the most trivial of ways.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    If you find yourself 'warming' to the idea of Angels then find the nearest meat freezer and lock yourself it in!
    I told you be careful what you ask for...

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    It is with an H, but I left it out since it makes more sense basketball wise with arc.
    Okay okay I see you. I like it. 1. Krewe, 2. ArcAngels has moved in 2 slot for me. Trashcan. Spirit and Knights

Okay okay I see you. I like it. 1. Krewe, 2. ArcAngels has moved in 2 slot for me. Trashcan. Spirit and Knights
    Krewe is ok. I wonder if Carnival would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Krewe is ok. I wonder if Carnival would be better.
    I actually really like Carnival, I just think people outside NOLA would see that and instantly think clowns, cotton candy, sideshows. I realize I might be describing a Circus too.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    I'd just rather not have anything that either is or could be construed to be a play on Saints. I'd like the NBA team's brand to stand on its own. Separate logo, separate colors, separate everything to get behind. I don't want the team to be an extension of the Saints even in the most trivial of ways.
    I agree, but I could live with an extension of the Saints. Its better than people thinking we are a team that happens to be in NOLA. Would much prefer a new brand, but I would be fine with something like angels, especially if we had our own colors.

I really do think that Angels could have all sorts of neat marketing and branding possibilities that would be really unique within the NBA. Yes there is another pro team named "Angels," but they're thousands of miles away, and play in a sport that has minimal overlap of seasons with the NBA and doesn't have any presence in New Orleans.

I had a picture in mind that would be a great "teaser" ad for a "New Orleans Angels/Angels of New Orleans" rebrand. I'm no bigdub, I ripped an old Saints slogan off, and I threw it together in under five minutes, but I think you get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basketball-on-court-jpg.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	3709

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    I really do think that Angels could have all sorts of neat marketing and branding possibilities that would be really unique within the NBA. Yes there is another pro team named "Angels," but they're thousands of miles away, and play in a sport that has minimal overlap of seasons with the NBA and doesn't have any presence in New Orleans.

I had a picture in mind that would be a great "teaser" ad for a "New Orleans Angels/Angels of New Orleans" rebrand. I'm no bigdub, I ripped an old Saints slogan off, and I threw it together in under five minutes, but I think you get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basketball-on-court-jpg.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	3709
    I like it. I could definitely see a advertisement committee going nuts with our two new draft picks, Gordon, and an Angel brand.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Just wondering, wasn't ESPN going to have a contest for the best rebrand concept from the submissions they got from fans?

What happened to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Just wondering, wasn't ESPN going to have a contest for the best rebrand concept from the submissions they got from fans?

What happened to that?
    ESPN finds a way to ruin everything so I hope they don't. Why do we care what the country thinks about us anyway. I don't want some dude in Detroit who knows nothing about New Orleans "naming" my team

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post

What happened to that?
    I think it's still happening.

The "uniform guy" at ESPN is Paul Lukas. He has a blog at http://www.uni-watch.com/ and his ESPN stuff went on Page 2 (now "Playbook"). His blog is worth a read - the weekend guy has been running a rebrand the Cleveland Indians contest that resulted in some great designs.

ESPN finds a way to ruin everything so I hope they don't. Why do we care what the country thinks about us anyway. I don't want some dude in Detroit who knows nothing about New Orleans "naming" my team
    Espn is the MTV of the sports world. Theres plenty of irrelevant nonsense and they only care about mainstream (big market) teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Espn is the MTV of the sports world. Theres plenty of irrelevant nonsense and they only care about mainstream (big market) teams.
    Tebow being in NY now. Someone kill me. It really should just be renamed the Heat, Lakers, Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots station. Colin Cowherd is unbearable and Skip Bayless isn't much better. ESPN is just a joke to me. I'll take the top 10 and PTI

Thread Information