Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

The Franchise
    I like New Orleans Blues

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    I enjoy the celebration of Mardi Gras but never enjoyed the imagery of self-entitled royalty throwing non-valuable goods to their peasants. And as a libertarian principled individual, I despise the monarchist ideals of those involved with the "Krewes". Therefore the idea of having our team named after some royal lackey makes me sick to mu stomach. But that is my personal opinion, of course.
    I don't like it cos it's spelled funny. **scratches butt**

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    You like Breakers even though it was a holdover name from Boston? The name didn't even stop in New Orleans...it went with the team when they moved to Portland.
    I dont care where it came from, i didnt even know until just now, its just a cool name that no one else has

That's what makes picking a name so hard. For some names you have to consider the origin of the name, how it applies to the city, do/ did other teams have it. That's why I still maintain that Dukes would work.

To me, Dukes is ok, but not a creative or natural fit.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Hall of Famer
    Bigdub, I have absolutely no idea of what you were talking about. But, I am trying to make my logo into a bit more than just a minor tweak of yours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Orleans Knights Logo II.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3671
    I added a basketball to the hilt of the sword, and since New Orleans is known as the "Crescent City" and I plan to have an alternate jersey with "Crescent City" on the front, I tried to incorporate a crescent into the logo. The only drawback to this is that it's similar to the New Orleans Police logo........and I'm not sure if too many people would like that, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 04-23-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DpSthTgr View Post
    I have already stated that I am on board with the Krewe.....I agree with keeping a theme of Nola which the Arcangels, Knights i just dont see it happening. The duke name would be so caught up with David Duke it wouldnt last. I think the pelicans could work as well...again based on logo designs and the fact that its our state bird and we had a semi pro ball team with that name. A successful team too... the Brass was not successful and i love the voodoo but it should stay in AFL....
    Does anybody else have this same hang-up? Have to admit that I haven't considered the man in 20 years.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I don't think it would take much to realize the natural fit. Beyond that, there hasn't been any new creative ideas that are natural fits. Of course, I don't have one either. But I can vote no on...Krewe, Voodoo, and thankfully stuff like Gators has died down. Also, I think New Orleans needs to be the only city name we use.

Creative - i'm the only one who came up with it, so I say its very creative. Inspired, a true sign of genius!

How much more of a natural fit do you want?

City named after the Duke of Orleans - that's pretty solid, and an obvious fit.

Name a famous JAZZ band from New Orleans? Oh, the Dukes of Dixieland

Wait, we need a Mardi Gras connection - every Mardi Gras Krewe has Dukes!

Short of his name being Duke Maravich, this is touching quite a few bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Bigdub, I have absolutely no idea of what you were talking about. But, I am trying to make my logo into a bit more than just a minor tweak of yours.

Name:	New Orleans Knights Logo II.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3671
    I added a basketball to the hilt of the sword, and since New Orleans is known as the "Crescent City" and I plan to have an alternate jersey with "Crescent City" on the front, I tried to incorporate a crescent into the logo. The only drawback to this is that it's similar to the New Orleans Police logo........and I'm not sure if too many people would like that, if you know what I mean.
    Looks like plagiarism to me

Name:	arc angels2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	3672

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    Creative - i'm the only one who came up with it, so I say its very creative. Inspired, a true sign of genius!

How much more of a natural fit do you want?

City named after the Duke of Orleans - that's pretty solid, and an obvious fit.

Name a famous JAZZ band from New Orleans? Oh, the Dukes [/b[ of Dixieland

Wait, we need a Mardi Gras connection - every Mardi Gras Krewe has [b[Dukes!

Short of his name being Duke Maravich, this is touching quite a few bases.
    I prefer Dukes of Hazzard.

I don't think it would take much to realize the natural fit. Beyond that, there hasn't been any new creative ideas that are natural fits. Of course, I don't have one either. But I can vote no on...Krewe, Voodoo, and thankfully stuff like Gators has died down. Also, I think New Orleans needs to be the only city name we use.
    If VooDoo wasn't already being used, it would be a natural fit.

Brass is like a minor league version of Jazz. Krewe is like a minor league version of Mardi Gras.

New Orleans Dukes. I just don't know about it.

Agree... If it's not Jazz (unattainable) or Dukes, it will be neither creative nor a natural fit.

DpSthTgr started off strong. I was right there with him for most of the way. I just can't get into Krewe at all...and I don't think David Duke has that much power especially once the logo is assigned. Dukes works. I'm not creative enough to suggest anything new although I've tried looking into it. I agree that this is the one chance to get it right. Bobcats for a name sucks. Dukes utilizing the Fleur de Lis would fit nicely with Saints. It's not that far out of the box.

Hall of Famer
    Looks like plagiarism to me

Name:	arc angels2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	3672
    Stuff like this always happens to me.........

Anyway, bonus!

Name:	Doodles.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	3673
    These are just some doodles of mine: A trumpet with a flag at the bottom (medieval-style), the styled letter "K" that will be on the logo and jersey, and a preview of the side panel on the shorts.

I've got this idea for a T-shirt, tell me what you guys think. I like the idea of using "Krewe" as part of the rebranding, but not necessarily as a name. So, I came up with this: A T-shirt with "Join The Krewe" in big letters on the front, and "Knights of Orleans" or "Knights of New Orleans" in smaller letters beneath it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some Krewes go by the title "Knights of _____" instead of "Krewe of ____?"

Dukes is an ok name, but don't see how it fits like Jazz or VooDoo.

Hall of Famer
    Aw, man, double post.

Anyway, bonus!

These are just some doodles of mine: A trumpet with a flag at the bottom (medieval-style), the styled letter "K" that will be on the logo and jersey, and a preview of the side panel on the shorts.

I've got this idea for a T-shirt, tell me what you guys think. I like the idea of using "Krewe" as part of the rebranding, but not necessarily as a name. So, I came up with this: A T-shirt with "Join The Krewe" in big letters on the front, and "Knights of Orleans" or "Knights of New Orleans" in smaller letters beneath it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some Krewes go by the title "Knights of _____" instead of "Krewe of ____?"
    You may as well just join the Arcangels movement.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar

Anyway, bonus!

I offered a post indicating that there is maybe 6 or so different Krewes which proclaim themselves the Knights of ______...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Voodoo certainly isn't city wide. I would bet most of us (me included) have very little true understanding of Voodoo. To use it as a brand, there's not enough there. I don't mind it for the arena team only because the helmet looks great. Yes, Jazz WAS cool. At this point it's dead. I almost wouldn't want it back if we could have it. It's tainted with a Utah history all its own. To re-brand is to start new. Swapping names is very unlikely.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I offered a post indicating that there is maybe 6 or so different Krewes which proclaim themselves the Knights of ______...
    Nice. That was one of the reasons why I thought "Knights" could work.

If Knights works because a few organizations use it, then Dukes works even better because more Krewes use it, and the city is named after a Duke, and a Duke could be depicted similar to a Knight. We're essentially on the same thing with a different name. Some may need to research why the 49ers are called that, why the Steelers are called that, etc...the same miniscule research might apply to Dukes but that's the part that maintains the uniqueness without going overboard or sounding forced as would be the case with some other suggestions.

Nice. That was one of the reasons why I thought "Knights" could work.
    Christopher Knight, aka Peter Brady, supports this message.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    we will only have to tweak one of our special offers for future years....guys Knight out...

Whereas Ted Knight elevates the brand, Christopher Knight detracts from it. In the end I think it causes too much confusion and therefore this should eliminate Knights as a possibility.

Thread Information