Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Which name do you like the best?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brass

96 39.51%
  • Krewe

86 35.39%
  • Voodoo

61 25.10%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: New Poll - Vote on Top 3 New Name Choices

Quote Originally Posted by cmac81 View Post
    Seconded
    Thirded?

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Add Reapers to poll.
    Let's not and say we did.

Im probably in the minority, but I could get behind the pelicans if the uniforms and logo werent terrible, something similar to Big Dubs pelican would be fine with me

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    Let's not and say we did.
    Let's do it and say we did.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJr17 View Post
    Im probably in the minority, but I could get behind the pelicans if the uniforms and logo werent terrible, something similar to Big Dubs pelican would be fine with me
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...kb6zyT9h3cfsug http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...84_389183a.jpg

Pilots!!

FWIW, Corsairs refers to the Turkish Muslims who raided along the Barbary coast of North Africa. Very different from our own Privateers, who were, by definition, tasked by the government. Not sure if anyone cares about the distinction, but there it is.

Personally, I like Brass, and the Breakers have a lot of potential too. I like Knights because you have an opportunity to get away from the really cartoony stuff that I don't like (e.g. the Raptors, possibly the worst brand in the history of sports), and do something cool and different the way the Ravens did with their shield/crest image. I don't mind a rebrand, but I'm scared we're going to end up with something ridiculous looking.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Let's do it and say we did.
    Fine, start a thread then but I doubt you get more than 15% of the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeauz View Post
    FWIW, Corsairs refers to the Turkish Muslims who raided along the Barbary coast of North Africa. Very different from our own Privateers, who were, by definition, tasked by the government. Not sure if anyone cares about the distinction, but there it is.

Personally, I like Brass, and the Breakers have a lot of potential too. I like Knights because you have an opportunity to get away from the really cartoony stuff that I don't like (e.g. the Raptors, possibly the worst brand in the history of sports), and do something cool and different the way the Ravens did with their shield/crest image. I don't mind a rebrand, but I'm scared we're going to end up with something ridiculous looking.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsair

I like Brass and also Breakers as well. Many people didn't like the Breakers however bc the name didn't originate here (Came from Boston) so I am trying to push Pilots which sticks with similar theme and has Nola ties.

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    ArcAngels is just as insulting as the latter.
    It just goes over your head.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    It just goes over your head.
    No, I think we get it very well.

Arc = like a crescent... like the crescent city, also a 3 point line... lol, get it?
    Angel = like a saint, like the football team... lol get it?

I just dont think our name should be something that is only related to new orleans through a thesaurus, and based on puns. "ArcAngel" itself has absolutely no relation to New Orleans in and of itself, as a name, taken at face value.

The "Bounce" is just as ridiculous, "LOL WE HAVE BOUNCE MUSIC *AND* BASKETBALLS BOUNCE... GET IT?"

No. Just stop, people. Stop. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    A bit of wikipedia author error. The Barbary Turks were known as and acting as corsairs 300 years before French Privateers coopted the term. It's true that Corsair comes from the latin root, it was the name given the mujahids by Europeans. Privateers and Corsairs shared a sense of nationalism in their raids and the terms came to be used nearly interchangeably. It's a very minor quibble.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post

Arc = like a crescent... like the crescent city, also a 3 point line... lol, get it?

I just dont think our name should be something that is only related to new orleans through a thesaurus, and based on puns. "ArcAngel" itself has absolutely no relation to New Orleans in and of itself, as a name, taken at face value.

The "Bounce" is just as ridiculous, "LOL WE HAVE BOUNCE MUSIC *AND* BASKETBALLS BOUNCE... GET IT?"

Since when does your opinion count?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

To be honest, any name can be degraded in the same token.

"We're the land of lakes. Call 'em Lakers! Get it! Lakers! Lot of lakes!"
    "It's really hot in Miami....the Heat! Cuz it's hot!"
    "It rains in YHT! YHT! Rain! Thunder! Get it?"

A bit of wikipedia author error. The Barbary Turks were known as and acting as corsairs 300 years before French Privateers coopted the term. It's true that Corsair comes from the latin root, it was the name given the mujahids by Europeans. Privateers and Corsairs shared a sense of nationalism in their raids and the terms came to be used nearly interchangeably. It's a very minor quibble.
    Nice. Let's name them mujahideens.

CoSign this entire post!!! I have to say tho hearing them gush over the name Bounce and play the music everytime they mention on Sports Hangover does catch on a little. But I don't neccesarily think it should be the name.

I agree with daybreaker ... To the t. I just didn't want to hurt hornets78's feelings when he is obviously very passionate. Bounce is terrible. Arcangels is too much and doesn't easily tie to anything without an explanation... But the logo is suhhhweeet.

I think having a direct tie to New Orleans is a bit overrated. Maybe I'm biased because I'm from the Gulf Coast area and not NOLA even though I graduated from Tulane 10 years ago. The most important thing is a good brand and logo.

VooDoo would be a much better NBA brand than Krewe or Brass. No comparison. I'm worried since its already taken.

I just can't see Krewe or Brass being a strong brand.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    If the name isn't Krewe, Brass, Voodoo or some type of pirate, I will be very suprised.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    If the name isn't Krewe, Brass, Voodoo or some type of pirate, I will be very suprised.
    Pretty much. People coming up with this off-the-wall and psuedo generic names (Reapers, wtf?) need to realize at the end of the day a team of marketing executives are going to present Benson with three to five possibilities and -- despite fan voting or whatever -- Benson will ultimately pick the name. I can guarantee you it won't be any of this wacky stuff and will probably be Brass/Krewe/Voodoo/Pirate-y. Maybe another wild card or something.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Pretty much. People coming up with this off-the-wall and psuedo generic names (Reapers, wtf?) need to realize at the end of the day a team of marketing executives are going to present Benson with three to five possibilities and -- despite fan voting or whatever -- Benson will ultimately pick the name. I can guarantee you it won't be any of this wacky stuff and will probably be Brass/Krewe/Voodoo/Pirate-y. Maybe another wild card or something.
    I would go with Pirate-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I think having a direct tie to New Orleans is a bit overrated. Maybe I'm biased because I'm from the Gulf Coast area and not NOLA even though I graduated from Tulane 10 years ago. The most important thing is a good brand and logo.

VooDoo would be a much better NBA brand than Krewe or Brass. No comparison. I'm worried since its already taken.

I just can't see Krewe or Brass being a strong brand.

I can really agree with that, I don't really know what to choose, and thats why I'm glad I'm not in charge. Lol. Sure Brass could work, Krewe is slowly fading in my mind, but it does work. However, both of them feel like runner-ups to something else. The problem is I'm not sure what they are runner ups to. Voodoo seems strongest, but is taken. I feel like I change my mind every day. A week ago I HATED the pelicans name, now im coming around to it just because. I suppose its all how you envision each name.

ArcAngels is also not completely out of the question to me. I like the logo, and think it could really work. I don't think it will meet Benson's criteria though. (local/strong ties like "Jazz")

I can really agree with that, I don't really know what to choose, and thats why I'm glad I'm not in charge. Lol. Sure Brass could work, Krewe is slowly fading in my mind, but it does work. However, both of them feel like runner-ups to something else. The problem is I'm not sure what they are runner ups to. Voodoo seems strongest, but is taken. I feel like I change my mind every day. A week ago I HATED the pelicans name, now im coming around to it just because. I suppose its all how you envision each name.

ArcAngels is also not completely out of the question to me. I like the logo, and think it could really work. I don't think it will meet Benson's criteria though. (local/strong ties like "Jazz")
    To me VooDoo would have been the choice if not for some second rate football league using it.

Thread Information