Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Which name do you like the best?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brass

96 39.51%
  • Krewe

86 35.39%
  • Voodoo

61 25.10%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: New Poll - Vote on Top 3 New Name Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    That is one of my reasons for voting for Krewe.

I understand that Brass has a NOLA feel because of the Jazz scene in the city. However I can not stop thinking of Brass as a mid range metal. There is Platinum, Gold, Silver, and then maybe Brass. It just rings mediocre to me. Plus it is not hard to see where that name will go to disparage the team.

Disparage the Brass? It has more than just one meaning, even if you want to slant it (mid range metal?)...

brass
       [bras, brahs] Show IPA

Informal .
    a.
    high-ranking military officers.

b.
    any very important officials.

You don't call the important big heads the "gold" or the "platinum" do you?
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Actually, I'm on the Brass bandwagon now. I really think that BigDub's uniforms with "Brass" on front work. Really, the color scheme is great, and all we need to do is change the "Krewe" to "Brass."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Disparage the Brass? It has more than just one meaning, even if you want to slant it (mid range metal?)...

brass
       [bras, brahs] Show IPA

Informal .
    a.
    high-ranking military officers.

b.
    any very important officials.

You don't call the important big heads the "gold" or the "platinum" do you?
    Sure, but nobody will think of it like that. They see New Orleans Brass with a Trumpet or something and they immediately get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Sure, but nobody will think of it like that. They see New Orleans Brass with a Trumpet or something and they immediately get the idea.
    I really think most people outside of NOLA will have to be told.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Actually, I'm on the Brass bandwagon now. I really think that BigDub's uniforms with "Brass" on front work. Really, the color scheme is great, and all we need to do is change the "Krewe" to "Brass."
    All the same, I'd like to see an original concept he comes up with for Brass. Gold and Silver could work reall well for that.

Brass sounds like Jazz

I really want Krewe but only if we'll be called Krewe of New Orleans and not New Orleans Krewe.

"With the first pick of the 2012 NBA Draft, The Krewe of New Orleans selects Anthony Davis of Kentucky"

Easy choice krewe for me
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    All the same, I'd like to see an original concept he comes up with for Brass. Gold and Silver could work reall well for that.
    The mardi gras colors work as well. Already has "brass" in it...the really bright, reflecting off the sun version. The uniforms he made for Krewe should be it or close to it, no matter the name, IMO.

I voted VooDoo. I don't care its already used. Its a good name for NOLA and the NBA. I don't hate Brass or Krewe. They're ok names.

Brass is the safe choice, but being safe doesn't mean its the best choice.

Krewe is a Mardi Gras theme. Like Mardi Gras, we may be better off seeing it for only a few weeks in the year.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The mardi gras colors work as well. Already has "brass" in it...the really bright, reflecting off the sun version. The uniforms he made for Krewe should be it or close to it, no matter the name, IMO.
    Agreed.

I would like Vooodooo if it's spelled and said the "correct" way (Vodou, Vodun), and not the FQ, Hollywood version. It's 1,000xs better that way, but it'd never fly. Even some local fans would be scared of their own team.

Banned
    bounce would be good cuz jazz was first then bounce came thur and no doudt nola is the birthplace of bounce musik

I'd like the name Pistols just to point out to the NBA who truly should be called the Jazz

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I would like Vooodooo if it's spelled and said the "correct" way (Vodou, Vodun), and not the FQ, Hollywood version. It's 1,000xs better that way, but it'd never fly. Even some local fans would be scared of their own team.
    Sorry, you get the Voodoo For Dummies way.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Brass and Krewe sound pansy if you want a team name you need something dominate, i think Voodoo fills that, ino its already a team for the football team (What is Arena FL btw?) but you think of people around the world such as myself I have no idea what Arena FL is and didn't know the Voodoo was used by them til i signed up here...I think if i were asked next year who I support in the NBA i'd be proud to say Voodoo although I wouldn't mind Knights, Breakers or Crescent City Crusaders...My vote for these 3 is Voodoo

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A friggin' Laker isn't anywhere near dominant.

I think this is kinda like when a popular book gets adapted into a movie. You create this amazing image in your head of what things will be like and the final product just can't possibly measure up to it. And in this case we all want that name that just makes us go "AH HA! That's it!" Might not get it unless someone hits one out the ball park. Maybe something out the box, from an angle we haven't attacked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Yea Brass is too similar to Jazz, and the AFL has kinda ruined how 'Voodoo' would be looked at on a big stage. Krewe of New Orleans is just bad ***.

(but I still like ArcAngels, Pelicans, Breakers, and Bucaneers)
    The only problem with Buccaneers is that everyone would call us Bucs for short. That's a problem because there already is a bucks. Basically same names, different meanings.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Bucs vs. Bucks!

Bounce is terrible, Voodoo is the best option.

We enter the dead zone! Contributor accfsu34's Avatar
    "They loving the Krewe"
    2011-2012 revised, NFC south standings:

1. Tampa Bay: 11-5 y
    2. New Orleans: 9-7
    3. ATL: 7-9
    4. carolina: 6-10

Drop Voodoo. Do both 'Brass' and 'Krewe'.

Here's how:

For most of the season, it's the New Orleans Brass. Color scheme would be white jerseys with black lettering and gold trim at home, black with gold lettering and white trim on the road, and a gold alternate.

Then from January 6th until Mardi Gras day, they are the "Krewe of NOLA". White unis at home with mardi gras trim, purple on the road, and a gold alternate. No 'Brass' on the jerseys anywhere.. just 'Krewe of NOLA' on the front and the players' name on the back.

After Mardi Gras, go back to the 'Brass' uniforms.

Draft Pick
    First post from a long term "viewer". I can't get behind the name Brass... It's slang for "prostitute" in Europe for one.
    Krewe would be fine, for a school team. I feel it just sounds very amateur, dispute the obvious NO connotations.
    Therefore Voodoo wins by default..... Although I like the "pride" moniker that was aforementioned.
    Sorry to start my posting career so negatively.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Russtkd View Post
    Then from January 6th until Mardi Gras day, they are the "Krewe of NOLA". White unis at home with mardi gras trim, purple on the road, and a gold alternate. No 'Brass' on the jerseys anywhere.. just 'Krewe of NOLA' on the front and the players' name on the back.
    "Krewe of NOLA" is too much to put on the front of a jersey.

No matter what name wins (Voodoo, Brass, or Krewe), i'm sure we'll still have the Mardi Gras alternates with NOLA on the front.

I still think people are underselling how popular Voodoo could become around the country - and at home.

And I have to admit.. the more I hear Krewe, the LESS I like it. Which is not supposed to happen. For me, it's Voodoo or Brass and Krewe is way down the list.
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 04-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    "Krewe of NOLA" is too much to put on the front of a jersey.

No matter what name wins (Voodoo, Brass, or Krewe), i'm sure we'll still have the Mardi Gras alternates with NOLA on the front.

I still think people are underselling how popular Voodoo could become around the country - and at home.

And I have to admit.. the more I hear Krewe, the LESS I like it. Which is not supposed to happen. For me, it's Voodoo or Brass and Krewe is way down the list.
    You can just put Krewe on the uni and be called the Krewe of New Orleans. Most people will just shorten it to Krewe anyway. Honestly I think people are over thinking the room. You are not going to put Brass Band or Voodoo Magic on the jersey either.

Bounce is the absolutely worst name we could probably have. Give me the Pelicans over that. That name would suck for a WNBA, NBDL, or whatever other kind of team.

I really like the idea of the interchangeable Brass and Krewe, but I'm not sure the NBA would go for it. Although, since we can't wear our Jazz throwbacks, and the Bucs are pretty much not going to happen with Benson... I think this idea could really work to give us our max number of alternate looks. We'd have 2 Brass unis and then 2 Krewe unis.

Krewe Orleans Brass... hahah. But seriously... I vote this option.

Thread Information