Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Which name do you like the best?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brass

96 39.51%
  • Krewe

86 35.39%
  • Voodoo

61 25.10%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: New Poll - Vote on Top 3 New Name Choices

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Pelicans because
    1) BigDub's mockups a while back for that name looked insane
    2) It's a retro NOLA team name, which is pretty cool (also why I like Breakers and Bucs)
    3) It logistically makes sense considering Benson already owns the name

As for ArcAngels... Well, Hornets78 has made the pitch several times elsewhere, I'll leave it to that.

Pelicans just doesn't feel like a basketball team for me, I could only see it working in minor league baseball or something. ArcAngels is not even a thing and Hornets78 is pitching it everywhere, he is attached to it because he created a team on a video game with that name. If we name our team after Hornet78's video team name I may vomit. And I only added the Bucs because I want nothing to do with sharing a name with an NFC South team, that's just my opinion. I know two diff sports, yata yata yata. I do like the idea of some type of pirate name but I'm not sure what works, privateers? Don't like that much either. Krewe and Brass are the two best so far for me.
    Last edited by Luke's Pelicans; 04-17-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by praff7 View Post
    I like Krewe more. We've has Brass before in New Orleans, I'm looking for a fresh start.
    That is one of my reasons for voting for Krewe.

I understand that Brass has a NOLA feel because of the Jazz scene in the city. However I can not stop thinking of Brass as a mid range metal. There is Platinum, Gold, Silver, and then maybe Brass. It just rings mediocre to me. Plus it is not hard to see where that name will go to disparage the team.

If the Hornets are changed to Krewe and used as in "Krewe of Orleans" I would love it. It is unique to any other team name in sports (unless I am forgetting another team's name having ____ of _____ outside of Universitiy names). It has strong city ties. It has a unifying theme to the name. It loosely ties in the rivers and ship crews. It would well with the Purple Green and Gold theme unis that belong in NOLA.

It would have a strong marketing campaign with fans bringing a Mardi Gras theme to the Arena. The atmosphere in the Arena would be unique and draw in fans. IMO there is not much you can do with Brass. Not much more than was already done.
    Last edited by Rugger; 04-17-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Brass to me reminds me to much of the Jazz that I can not have!!! Brass band Jazz music!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    why Pelicans, ArcAngels or Bucs?

FIFY
    why anything not brass, soul or voodoo?

I actually like the Pelican name. Just because a name like Voodoo, Pelicans or Brass was used for a minor league team or a baseball team, doesn't mean it is soley for minor league use. There is a reason all of these names were used for New Orleans teams. It is because they are good, local names.

To me Pelican belongs in the Mount Carmel Cubs/Chapel Chipmunks category.

Quote Originally Posted by saints5021 View Post
    I actually like the Pelican name. Just because a name like Voodoo, Pelicans or Brass was used for a minor league team or a baseball team, doesn't mean it is soley for minor league use. There is a reason all of these names were used for New Orleans teams. It is because they are good, local names.
    Agree. Pelicans or Brass. Krewe won't make any sense to the other 350+ million Americans much less anybody else. How would you even start to create merchandise for Krewe?
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

I am biased towards Black and Gold, so Pelicans or Brass would work well with that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by saints5021 View Post
    Voodoo and Brass work with anything, I just feel like Pelicans is minor league baseball. This is just my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Agree. Pelicans or Brass. Krewe won't make any sense to the other 350+ million Americans much less anybody else. How would you even start to create merchandise for Krewe?
    Oh come on. It would be easy to explain if they made it Krewe of Orleans. However that said I could give a damn about other people's ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Oh come on. It would be easy to explain if they made it Krewe of Orleans. However that said I could give a damn about other people's ignorance.

This times 700, I may actually relish in the fact that they don't understand us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    What could you put on merchandise other than the word "Krewe?" If you don't think that matters, guess again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    What could you put on merchandise other than the word "Krewe?" If you don't think that matters, guess again.
    The Krewe would sell IMO, as in "Be Apart of The Krewe" or "Join The Krewe". "Krewe of Orleans" would sell itself. You can sell anything Mardi Gras themed. The market for that is already established. Outside of Jazz what could you sell for Brass? Again the name Brass rings mediocre to me. "Brass...it's a medal" "Brass, not quite as good as Silver".
    Last edited by Rugger; 04-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Merchandise would be easy I think.

"The Krewe". "Nola". Whatever symbol they come up with.

If we're the Krewe... we just come up with a flashy logo and still keep the NOLA logo with the horn.

A lot of times in the merchandise game, it's not the name of the team that matters, but rather the look of the logo and the colors of a team that fans embrace. Or just simply the newness of the team. Hence all the Nationals hats you see nowadays.

Krewe just sounds cool and you can make a good spinoff from it. Most of us feel this organization gets laughed at now. It will be worse with Pelicans.

Remember that "Krewe of New Orleans" is > "New Orleans Krewe"

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    Voodoo and Brass work with anything, I just feel like Pelicans is minor league baseball. This is just my thought.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pelican Fly.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	3633

I don't know, I think Krewe of New Orleans isn't much better. It just feels like we're trying too hard to be different. "LOOK AMERICA WE AREN'T LIKE YOU LOL." As a New Orleans native who is quite proud of his town and living in another town, I can tell you that doesn't go over well with outsiders. Charlotte Hornets comments are going to be replaced by "What the hell is a krew" and "New Orleans Crew" comments.

I don't know, just my opinion. I don't think I'd get upset if we became the Krewe, but I would much rather other options.

I voted for Krewe, but I've seen "New Orleans Bounce" tossed around as a potential name and I must admit that it's starting to grow on me.
    the Legend has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I don't know, I think Krewe of New Orleans isn't much better. It just feels like we're trying too hard to be different. "LOOK AMERICA WE AREN'T LIKE YOU LOL." As a New Orleans native who is quite proud of his town and living in another town, I can tell you that doesn't go over well with outsiders. Charlotte Hornets comments are going to be replaced by "What the hell is a krew" and "New Orleans Crew" comments.

I don't know, just my opinion. I don't think I'd get upset if we became the Krewe, but I would much rather other options.
    Maybe you've just forgotten since you've been living elsewhere, but not many people from here give two ****s whether or not someone from outside of NOLA gets it or us.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Bucs = NO!

People were ***ching and complaining about New Orleans and Charlotte getting mixed up all the time.. replace Charlotte with Milwaukee and we'll have the same thing... Well at least it would satisfy the "rebrand or bust" krewe

Rookie
    The New Orleans Brass is perfect. New Orleans is known for its music, food and culture. The Brass is a very cool name that would promote the New Orleans Music Scene to the Country and the World. I attended the Hornets, Pacers game in March and the guys playing the Saxaphone and drums between time outs and quarters were outstanding and truly added to the game experience. I saw Hugh Weber at the game and made a point to tell him how entertaining the live music was and he told me they were planning on expanding it next year. As a youngster I will never forget going to the early Saints games in Tulane Stadium and hearing Al Hirt play his trumpet with his band, it was electric and really amped up the crowd. The New Orleans Brass is a Winner!!!!

Thread Information