Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Which name do you like the best?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brass

96 39.51%
  • Krewe

86 35.39%
  • Voodoo

61 25.10%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: New Poll - Vote on Top 3 New Name Choices

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    No, I think we get it very well.

Arc = like a crescent... like the crescent city, also a 3 point line... lol, get it?
    Angel = like a saint, like the football team... lol get it?

I just dont think our name should be something that is only related to new orleans through a thesaurus, and based on puns. "ArcAngel" itself has absolutely no relation to New Orleans in and of itself, as a name, taken at face value.

The "Bounce" is just as ridiculous, "LOL WE HAVE BOUNCE MUSIC *AND* BASKETBALLS BOUNCE... GET IT?"

No. Just stop, people. Stop. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Since when does your opinion count?

I respect his opinion so it counts with me. Now on the other hand, you have been cramming this awful name down our throats. It has caused your opinion to not count, with me at least.
    Last edited by Luke's Pelicans; 04-19-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJr17 View Post
    I can really agree with that, I don't really know what to choose, and thats why I'm glad I'm not in charge. Lol. Sure Brass could work, Krewe is slowly fading in my mind, but it does work. However, both of them feel like runner-ups to something else. The problem is I'm not sure what they are runner ups to. Voodoo seems strongest, but is taken. I feel like I change my mind every day. A week ago I HATED the pelicans name, now im coming around to it just because. I suppose its all how you envision each name.

ArcAngels is also not completely out of the question to me. I like the logo, and think it could really work. I don't think it will meet Benson's criteria though. (local/strong ties like "Jazz")
    I think the ArcAngels logo is one of bigdub's finest work. His treble clef logo from 2 years ago was really creative as well, but the ArcAngels logo is phenomenal.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    I respect his opinion so it counts with me. Now on the other hand, you have been cramming this awful name down our throats, it has caused your opinion to not count, with me at least.
    You say it's awful. Others like it.

What's your choice Mr. Barnes?

You say it's awful. Others like it.

What's your choice Mr. Barnes?
    If your talking about Barnes.. I still stand by what I said, when T.Jones becomes a better pro than Barnes let me know.

edit: others like it, we had like 12 people out of 200 like it... that's not exactly the masses

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    If your talking about Barnes.. I still stand by what I said, when T.Jones becomes a better pro than Barnes let me know.

edit: others like it, we had like 12 people out of 200 like it... that's not exactly the masses
    I can say the same about Barnes too. You let me know when he's a better pro than Jones

Sometimes the most popular choices aren't the best.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    HAI GUYZ, what about the LASER BEAMS! 'cuz lasers are cool! PEWPEW!
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post

How about the New Orleans SuperNovas... Nova sounds like Nola!! Boom.

This is where the NEONIGHTS serve as a lesson: people need to stop picking random names because they sound cool to them. Well, okay, they don't have to stop because none of this has any bearing on what the team will be named and I'm confident no marketing executive is crazy enough to pitch these ideas to Benson.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I can say the same about Barnes too. You let me know when he's a better pro than Jones

Sometimes the most popular choices aren't the best.
    Wait... What? What qualifies it as the best option then? That you like it most?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    No, that I like the most.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This is where the NEONIGHTS serve as a lesson: people need to stop picking random names because they sound cool to them. Well, okay, they don't have to stop because none of this has any bearing on what the team will be named and I'm confident no marketing executive is crazy enough to pitch these ideas to Benson.
    You mean they need to stop picking names that you just don't like. Cuz if the name sounding cool wasn't part of the equation, there'd probably be a team called the Florida Citrus out there somewhere.

And if someone could pitch Voodoo as a brand, Reapers could get pitched as a brand. Samn friggin' thing based off of something dark, scary, and maybe misunderstood (give reapers a hug, why don't you?). Just cuz one has a more foreign sounding name don't mean anything.

Don't make me wanna call us the New Orleans Revenants or Specters or something.

Or God forbid, we call ourselves the Interviewed Vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You mean they need to stop picking names that you just don't like.
    No, I mean they need to stop picking names that have basically nothing to do with the region. Even if you put no relevance into what I say... it's what Tom Benson said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I like VooDoo the best. But it's taken.

ArcAngels is has some strength behind it. Strong name, powerful logo. You can do alot with it. It's more than just an angels logo. It has more meaning behind it. Archangels are powerful, historic figures. ArcAngels is that plus a basketball tinge to it. It's not weak sauce by any means.

VooDoo is strong too.

I can guarantee you it won't be any of this wacky stuff and will probably be Brass/Krewe/Voodoo/Pirate-y. Maybe another wild card or something.
    Right, although I think you need to add Pelicans to that list. Animals are popular team names, Pelican is the obvious animal choice, and Benson already owns the rights to it. The logo this guy created isn't too bad either https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-O...34639283217212

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why couldn't our state bird have some awesome name like the Black blade taloned Raven or the Ultimate egg dropping Kiwi.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Right, although I think you need to add Pelicans to that list. Animals are popular team names, Pelican is the obvious animal choice, and Benson already owns the rights to it. The logo this guy created isn't too bad either https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-O...34639283217212

That looks like us look like a sun belt team. That being said, Pelicans is rapidly growing on me. Over on Tiger droppings, there are a couple cool Pelican's logos. One looks like the Vlasic pickle's pimp, but it wasn't terrible

That is a FOOLISH logo. Love it

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why couldn't our state bird have some awesome name like the Black blade taloned Raven or the Ultimate egg dropping Kiwi.
    I will let you borrow Kiwi
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What if we use this type of logo/mascot, but not be called the Pelicans? Something like the Flight?
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Any name can look good in a logo given the right artist. I'm not really worried about the logo or the concept art. I'm more focused on the name in isolation.

Bigdub's Pelicans design was edgier. Not a huge fan of the name for basketball, but could be solid for baseball and hockey.
    Last edited by Pelicans78; 04-19-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Yea Brass is too similar to Jazz, and the AFL has kinda ruined how 'Voodoo' would be looked at on a big stage. Krewe of New Orleans is just bad ***.

(but I still like ArcAngels, Pelicans, Breakers, and Bucaneers)
    Nobody outside of New Orleans knows the AFL team. I don't think it is ruined on the big stage.

I think having a direct tie to New Orleans is a bit overrated. Maybe I'm biased because I'm from the Gulf Coast area and not NOLA even though I graduated from Tulane 10 years ago. The most important thing is a good brand and logo.

VooDoo would be a much better NBA brand than Krewe or Brass. No comparison. I'm worried since its already taken.

I just can't see Krewe or Brass being a strong brand.
    There is hardly no name out there that cant become a strong brand. Our FOOTBALL team is called the Saints, remember? It all has to do with building a history to identify with. Most of all, winning can speed up the process.

I'm a Brass lover. Being someone who has actually played and appreciates the instrument and it's history in New Orleans. Sounds good as a name also. No need to overthink it.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar

That Pelican is saying "come at me bro". You know it is. I love it for that.

Thread Information