Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Landry now wants to stay here long term

I love Ayon, but as a backup I think I actually prefer Landry, you need someone who can score off the bench

but if it was on a good offensive team who deosn't need scoring from the PF ie San Antonio or OKC, i'll take Ayon as the starter
    Last edited by speedyG; 04-14-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Chill guys. Why don't yall just continue this via PM?

Back to the topic, I agree with both of you. Ayon is a jack of all trades, but he has potential. He could be a true asset going forward. Landry, on the other hand, has hit his ceiling, so he won't be an effective starter. He is, however, well suited for the bench. I would also agree that he is one of the best post scorers in the game. If we get him on the cheap, then I'd be all for re-signing him. That said, I don't know that he's looking to come cheap. We'll see how it plays out, but he has a roster spot here if he signs for the right price.

The problem is we already have Smith and Ayon signed, but we're most likely gonna draft a PF. Why keep Landry when we can use the money to upgrade at PG and SF.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Before this year, 8-9 million was fair for Landry. He missed alot of games this year so its hard to determine.

5-6 mil, i dont want him back though

dont anyone else not like ayon's love for reverse layups.. i haven't seen him make one in a while and he gets dunked on just as much as kaman does.. i wanna root for him but i personally enjoy landry's game a lot better

I'd love to keep landry. Remember when he stepped in for DWest last year? Did a solid job. Ayon is definitely cheaper and is a good prospect we all like but landry is a better player now and we don't know if Ayon will even get any better, he has had glimpses and plays with a high IQ but I'm not seeing the progress to a decent, consistant backup on this team. No doubt the offseason with the coaching staff will help but to be honest landry looks more like a contributor on a playoff team(which I hope we are in at least two years if not next) than Ayon does. That said the fact that we already have smith and ayon signed is a legitimate reason to let him go, and I don't see us dumping either, especially with smith playing so well. Wish we could keep him

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I guess that could open up the discussion, what would be fair value for Landry?
    I'd say $5-6 too.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I'd say $5-6 too.
    Yeah after this season.

Wonder if we can afford that if we make a run for Dragic and Batum. Seems like signing Landry will be unnecessary.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I have a feeling that we overpaid Landry this year because we had the room to do so. In return, if he and the team agree to a new contract next year, Landry would keep that in mind and work out a very fair deal with the Hornets. It may or may not be true, but I've had that feeling for the entire season.

My guess would be 15-20% chance or less he is back. High probability we sign a quality PF in the draft. I think Smith and Ayon are more than serviceable, especially assuming both of them continue to improve. We will have the PF wrapped up for relatively cheap and can spend that money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    good one Nolaslim.... wait you were serious...
    In the last 2 games that he played for Kevin Love, he averaged (in under 30 minutes) 22 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 blocks while playing great help-side defense. He's only 22, and he could be a very good defensive player under Monty. We could get him relatively cheap + he's a local boy.
    Tonight vs. he Thunder, Randolph had 22, 11 and 1 block in 34 minutes. Still laughing? That's 3 straight games where he got starter minutes, and he's produced.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 04-14-2012 at 10:33 PM.

I know that everyone loves Gustavo & Jason Smith but Landry is the most skilled PF we have

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    I know that everyone loves Gustavo & Jason Smith but Landry is the most skilled PF we have
    Sure... offensively. But, in case you didn't notice, there are 2 phases to the game. Goose and JSmith are both much better defenders than Landry is, and they are both better rebounders.

It all depends on the draft. If we get a power forward, he's expendable. No need to keep 4 PFs on our roster. Otherwise, keep him. He's a solid veteran presence, which helps with the balance of this team. He provides a good spark off the bench, but so can J Smith. I would love to keep him, especially if we got him at a reasonable price.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Tonight vs. he Thunder, Randolph had 22, 11 and 1 block in 34 minutes. Still laughing? That's 3 straight games where he got starter minutes, and he's produced.
    Yea my bad i thought you were saying you would rather spend the money to resign Landry (5-6million), on Randolph, that is way overpaying, If we can get him cheaply great. But, also the Wolves top 4 players are injured, last year shannon brown put up 25 a game with Kobe out. And that was actually a good team. I'm not saying Randolph isn't worth a look but 5-6 million a year for multiple years is definitely not worth it. Also I haven't been watching many Wolves game since Rubio went out, why isn't D-Will the one putting up those numbers?

Sure... offensively. But, in case you didn't notice, there are 2 phases to the game. Goose and JSmith are both much better defenders than Landry is, and they are both better rebounders.
    goose definitely is not that much better defensively than landry. Sure goose has good games pretty often and plays intelligent D, but any match up against an above average PF in the league and he can't put up a fight, gets dominated sometimes, landry can put up more more of a fight on both ends against the better forwards in the league more so than ayon

If we land either Davis or T-rob...then no.
    But if we dont take a PF with our pick then I say 5M max is a good deal to keep Landry.

Keep Landry!!!
    Draft MKG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    goose definitely is not that much better defensively than landry. Sure goose has good games pretty often and plays intelligent D, but any match up against an above average PF in the league and he can't put up a fight, gets dominated sometimes, landry can put up more more of a fight on both ends against the better forwards in the league more so than ayon
    Advanced stats say Ayon is one of the best in the league at playing the pick and roll, he's also a well rounded roll player. The whole in his game is his jumpshot and his one on one D, but his team D is very good.

Ayon started out strong but has sorta faded and has just been another guy out there on the court for alot of the 2nd half of the season...still has potential though as he has skill sets in alot of different categories, they just need to be refined and worked on for consistency. He needs to work on explosiveness also

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    IMO Landry is better on offense than Goose is better on defense.. Does that make sense to you guys? And also, Smith confuses me alot with his rebounding. Sometimes I think he is our best rebounder, sometimes I think he is our worst. Its odd.

It's not all about talent. You have to weigh skill set versus contract demand, like the Saints have done for years. Even if Landry is better than Ayon, you have to look at his contract, and then who we would have if we did not resign him. As of now, we could certainly use him next year. You could make a case for a two-man rotation with Ayon and Smith, and letting Landry's money going elsewhere, but I could also see us resigning Landry. It's all up to Demps.

It depends ifr we can sign other players or not in the backcourt....if not than why not just resign Landry and then flip him for whatever...dont want to let him and Kaman go for nothing...really dont want to lose either for nothing.

we are NOT going to be able to spend all of our FA $$$ since when do players want to play here i dont get why u guys think all of a sudden people are going to be flocking to play here so we might as well keep these guys once that plays out and have them as assets

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    IMO Landry is better on offense than Goose is better on defense.. Does that make sense to you guys? And also, Smith confuses me alot with his rebounding. Sometimes I think he is our best rebounder, sometimes I think he is our worst. Its odd.
    I'd probably agree with that, but it's close IMO. Plus, Goose has to transition to the NBA, so he still has a lot of untapped potential that could come out with more PT. To be honest, Monty stopped giving him minutes, and I think that is because of what I just said - he still needs to transition to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Beez_Neez View Post
    Ayon started out strong but has sorta faded and has just been another guy out there on the court for alot of the 2nd half of the season...still has potential though as he has skill sets in alot of different categories, they just need to be refined and worked on for consistency. He needs to work on explosiveness also
    See my above post ^

Thread Information