.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 99

Thread: Poll: Who would you take at number 2?

  1. #51
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    He will more difficulty creating against longer, more athletic guys.

    I think he will be a good scorer in the league, but he's gonna have to expand his game to make a real impact, otherwise he will be a Rudy Gay type of player who can score, but shoots alot, and doesn't make his teammates better in the process. I think Barnes will be that kind of player. He's cannot make his teammates better except by spreading the floor for other guys to do damage. I also don't see why people think he will be an elite defender in the league. Its easy to play defense in college with little spacing and having Henson and Zeller behind you. I think he will have more trouble in the league where it is more wide open. In the end, I see Barnes as a high volume scorer and that's pretty much it. He probably won't offer much more. Guys like that just don't win alot of games. They just put up good stats. Even though Barnes is the prospect on his team long-term, Zeller, Henson, and Marshall provided more to the team.

    MKG may not be a great player. He will be very good. He probably won't be a great scorer, but he will be a good scorer, especially the way he can drive to the basket. He's an excellent penetrator and can finish. Also, he won't force alot of bad shots. He will make his teammates better, and he will probably be a great defender. In the end, I just think he will have more impact on his team than Barnes and will help his team win more.
    Do you get the feeling that Barnes is a Carmelo esque player? I haven't really watched as much Barnes as I have other guys, but from what I hear, he puts up great numbers but doesn't do too much on the defensive end. Carmelo can create his own shot, though. If he could become even close to Carmelo, I'd like to have him. Maybe not with our #2 pick, but maybe our second pick. Monty can teach him some defense.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

    @ThePraff

  2. #52
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,219
    I do see Barnes as another Melo. Not just like but alot of the same skills and style of play.
    1.Both good post players, as Barnes proved at the end of the season.
    2.Both can shoot your eyes out from anywhere!
    3. Both kinda lazy on D but Barnes try a little harder.
    Ony difference really is Melo ball handling a good passingv skills.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by praff7 View Post
    Do you get the feeling that Barnes is a Carmelo esque player?

    not even close..

  4. #54
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,809
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    MKG isn't a excellent ball handler.
    He's a lot better than any player we have taller than 6'6". He's not excellent. I would say he's solid and won't make you cover your eyes in shame.

  5. #55
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,219
    PJ3 with 2nd pick!

  6. #56
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,717
    MKG is a good ball-handler. He won't be able to drive to the basket as well as he can if he wasn't a real good ball-handler.

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  7. #57
    Hall of Famer IVAN_NOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain.
    Posts
    853
    no doubt here, MKG.

  8. #58
    Rudy gay>iguadala
    Melo>iguadala

    If this is the case, why draft MKG when you can can Rudy-melo like with Barnes?
    Last edited by aas3452; 04-10-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    BELIEVE IN DEMPS!

  9. #59
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,717
    Quote Originally Posted by aas3452 View Post
    Rudy gay>iguadala
    Melo>iguadala

    If this is the case, why draft MKG when you can can Rudy-melo like with Barnes?
    Melo>>>Barnes

    Melo>Iggy>>>Gay

  10. #60
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,618
    MKG is the BPA in this situation, but if Drummond declares, we have to give him serious thought I think. Maybe trade down to get a later pick and secure Drummond. The reason why I'm saying this is that we're going to have to look for a center soon and it's very hard to find good ones in the league. A great center can completely change a team's defense. Drummond on the offensive end is a huge question mark, but he should be a great defensive player and rebounder, which combined with his size and athleticism, I think make him more worthy of the #2 pick.

  11. #61
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    MKG is the BPA in this situation, but if Drummond declares, we have to give him serious thought I think. Maybe trade down to get a later pick and secure Drummond. The reason why I'm saying this is that we're going to have to look for a center soon and it's very hard to find good ones in the league. A great center can completely change a team's defense. Drummond on the offensive end is a huge question mark, but he should be a great defensive player and rebounder, which combined with his size and athleticism, I think make him more worthy of the #2 pick.
    That's what I'm thinking. True centers don't come around too often, but good forwards come around pretty often. Yes, we could end up with a bust, but what if we end up with a more mature Bynum?

  12. #62
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,717
    I'm torn with Drummond. Don't know where to put him because he didn't put it together like Beal or MKG at the same age, but he still has more upside than most of the sophomores/juniors coming out.

  13. #63
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I'm torn with Drummond. Don't know where to put him because he didn't put it together like Beal or MKG at the same age, but he still has more upside than most of the sophomores/juniors coming out.
    Dude's got the ability to be a star for years to come. I really think that he's bound to develop in the next 2-3 years. I can wait that, especially if we get another lottery pick next year.

  14. #64
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,717
    Quote Originally Posted by praff7 View Post
    Dude's got the ability to be a star for years to come. I really think that he's bound to develop in the next 2-3 years. I can wait that, especially if we get another lottery pick next year.
    He has potential, but he needs alot of work offensively to be a star. I think he will be strong defensively if he wants to be.

  15. #65
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,618
    It's really hard to compare Beal and MKG to a big man like Drummond though. It's incredibly rare for a big man to be dominant that young. They take a while to come around. I mean, if you look at the best big man prospects in the past few years, none of them were really dominant their freshmen year. Without Calhoun for a good chunk of the season and the fact he completely skipped his senior year in high school, I think Drummond did good enough this year. He showed glimpses of being dominant (for entire games, not just a few plays) and I think that's enough to show that he can end up doing it on a consistent basis later on. He's also going to be HUGE. The guy could end up being around 6'11 and around 300lbs. That's humongous and given how quick he is, along with his great wingspan, not many centers can compete with his athleticism. If we're thinking really long term, as big centers become more and more rare, this guy could be one of the very best in the league by the time he's around 25 years old.

  16. #66
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    It's really hard to compare Beal and MKG to a big man like Drummond though. It's incredibly rare for a big man to be dominant that young. They take a while to come around. I mean, if you look at the best big man prospects in the past few years, none of them were really dominant their freshmen year. Without Calhoun for a good chunk of the season and the fact he completely skipped his senior year in high school, I think Drummond did good enough this year. He showed glimpses of being dominant (for entire games, not just a few plays) and I think that's enough to show that he can end up doing it on a consistent basis later on. He's also going to be HUGE. The guy could end up being around 6'11 and around 300lbs. That's humongous and given how quick he is, along with his great wingspan, not many centers can compete with his athleticism. If we're thinking really long term, as big centers become more and more rare, this guy could be one of the very best in the league by the time he's around 25 years old.
    Guys like Zeller and Sullinger were dominant right away. And they were young as well and lined up at center. Obviously, they have way more skill than Drummond which is why they succeeded in their freshmen year.

    Let's not forget how dominant Davis was at center this season.

    Drummond's offense did bother me even though his FT shooting was atrocious and down right pathetic. No excuse for that.

    But he really didn't impact the game defensively as much as his potential warrants. He was on a bad defensive team, but even Sullinger was a quality defender at the center spot these last two seasons and he wasn't surrounded by good defenders.

    Just seems like Drummond has ways to go and really has bust potential.

  17. #67
    We need to take moultrie with min pick and drummond with our on. Centers take 2 to 3 years to develo
    p. Even if we dnt win lottery this year next year we can get shabazz.

  18. #68
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    It's really hard to compare Beal and MKG to a big man like Drummond though. It's incredibly rare for a big man to be dominant that young. They take a while to come around. I mean, if you look at the best big man prospects in the past few years, none of them were really dominant their freshmen year. Without Calhoun for a good chunk of the season and the fact he completely skipped his senior year in high school, I think Drummond did good enough this year. He showed glimpses of being dominant (for entire games, not just a few plays) and I think that's enough to show that he can end up doing it on a consistent basis later on. He's also going to be HUGE. The guy could end up being around 6'11 and around 300lbs. That's humongous and given how quick he is, along with his great wingspan, not many centers can compete with his athleticism. If we're thinking really long term, as big centers become more and more rare, this guy could be one of the very best in the league by the time he's around 25 years old.
    I just read somewhere that he's also still growing, and could end up over 7'. He's already a man child. Add on a few inches and about 30 pounds, and he's one of the most intimidating players in the league, including Dwight. The more I think about getting this guy, the more giddy I become.

  19. #69
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by young larry j View Post
    We need to take moultrie with min pick and drummond with our on. Centers take 2 to 3 years to develo
    p. Even if we dnt win lottery this year next year we can get shabazz.
    Can you translate that last sentence?

  20. #70
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,618
    Well, being lined up at center in college and being a true NBA center are two different things. Zeller still has to improve on his rebounding and bulking up considerably to play at center in the NBA full time, and no way Sullinger can be a center in the NBA. And Davis is one of the best prospects in a while for a reason. He's a rare exception. But still, he most likely is going to be a PF in the pros.

    And to me, hardly any player will be great defensively coming into the NBA. It's just a totally different game and speed and everyone will have to adjust. I just think Drummond with Monty as his coach will be a great defender. He has all the tools to be; he just needs the right coach. If he winds up being with with Wizards or someone of that nature, I think he's probably just going to be Javale McGee on defense, but if he's with Monty, could be an all defensive center one day.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Melo>>>Barnes

    Melo>Iggy>>>Gay
    Barnes>>>>>>>>>>MKG

  22. #72
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Well, being lined up at center in college and being a true NBA center are two different things. Zeller still has to improve on his rebounding and bulking up considerably to play at center in the NBA full time, and no way Sullinger can be a center in the NBA. And Davis is one of the best prospects in a while for a reason. He's a rare exception. But still, he most likely is going to be a PF in the pros.

    And to me, hardly any player will be great defensively coming into the NBA. It's just a totally different game and speed and everyone will have to adjust. I just think Drummond with Monty as his coach will be a great defender. He has all the tools to be; he just needs the right coach. If he winds up being with with Wizards or someone of that nature, I think he's probably just going to be Javale McGee on defense, but if he's with Monty, could be an all defensive center one day.
    Anthony Davis thinks otherwise.

  23. #73
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,618
    Quote Originally Posted by praff7 View Post
    Anthony Davis thinks otherwise.
    I said hardly for a reason lol.

    But regardless, Davis will have his struggles too. He won't be a all defensive player out the gate. But he definitely could be by his second year.

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by praff7 View Post
    Anthony Davis thinks otherwise.
    That remains to be seen. It's very rare for a big man to come into the league and become dominant on the defensive end right off the bat.

  25. #75
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,717
    Quote Originally Posted by aas3452 View Post
    Barnes>>>>>>>>>>MKG
    Ok, keep thinking that. Hope it makes you sleep better at night.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •