Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: SI thinks a rebrand is on the way

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    Since this story broke, I contacted a relative that has worked with the team since it moved here, about the possiblity of a rebrand and what rumblings that might be going on inside the office. I was told that names are being floated around amongst many of the workers and most of them are what people are giving up on this site. Jazz is the front runner but it sort of a dream more than a reality. I propsed both Krewe and Brass, and was told that they are favorites throughout followed by Voodoo, Creoles, Breakers and Pelicans.

An idea was floated to get the name VooDoo from the AFL team and the (Hornets) would cover the cost for a rebrand next year and the football team would become the Breakers. I kinda' liked this idea. My cousin told me that people have become less apprehensive about doing away with the Hornets name since the majority of the workers are local and would like to see the new team name tied into the city. I was told that they all pretty much had to walk on eggshells under the former regime (Shinn) and many weren't too keen on the uniform update a few years ago since like many of us has said, it looked too much like the old Charlotte uniforms.

Although nothing is official, they believe that a change is imminent and most of them love Hugo and the effort that they have put into making the team more NOLA, it's just that "starting fresh" seems to be the ultimate goal and theme floating through the office at this point. And the majority is on board and looking forward to it! With that being said, I took the liberty of forwarding my cousin the concepts that I have created and posted here on the site.

People are in love with the Krewe!

I asked if there was any way that my designs could fall into say Monty, Dell or some higher up's hands, but was told that it's possible but there are channels to go through. They will work on it. I'm just afraid of the league getting ahold of my designs and me not getting any compensation for them! Not to say that I wouldn't be proud or anything. Just dissapointed! Either way, that's about all that I can offer on the subject from an inside POV.
    You are the absolute MAN, BigDub. Your designs have at least as many Charlottean fans as anywhere else, I can promise you that! Keep up the great work!

(I posted this in the 'rebrand' thread last week, but I wanted to share it with you directly, too. It's a little logo we've made up for our side of the initiative. As someone who clearly digs graphic design, I figured you'd appreciate it )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beelogosmall.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	3574  
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

The Franchise    Contributor   

if they went with New Orleans Spice, would the games be on the Spice Channel?

Still better than Brass, I mean that would make us a NOB
    VooDoo will make us NOV

instead of New Orleans Krewe, can we be called as Krewe of New Orleans? makes us unique, i love it!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    VooDoo will make us NOV

instead of New Orleans Krewe, can we be called as Krewe of New Orleans? makes us unique, i love it!
    Krewe of New Orleans is exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    if they went with New Orleans Spice, would the games be on the Spice Channel?
    that sounds like a WNBA team

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I honestly like the Voodoo the most. I don't know if they could use that name or not, but Voodoo with the black and gold would be different. Would give us a mystique. I'm ok with the Brass. But have the same feeling of, "it's ok".

Humidity, Funk, Rebirth, River, Levee, Crescent, Termites, Mosquitos, Gators, Oaks, Deltas, Magnolia, Moss, Boot, Voodoo, Brass, Krewe, etc.

With as much history and culture this city has, there has to be something. Not making suggestions as much as trying to get the thought process going. Whatever is chosen, remember everyone laughed at Thunder as a name. No one thinks twice about it anymore.
    I agree. Voodoo is by far my favorite, but we probably aren't getting that name from the Arena Football League.

Quote Originally Posted by Metairie Hornet View Post
    I agree. Voodoo is by far my favorite, but we probably aren't getting that name from the Arena Football League.
    Yeah, I hear they are huge

Krewe of New Orleans is the best name I've heard so far.

i guess we rebranded the sticky thread to this huh
    If Wayne is E.T.-ish tell him phone home

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaqmoon View Post
    i guess we rebranded the sticky thread to this huh
    You think people would know of the SI article if people just posted it in a stickied thread? Not to mention that that thread as about fans talking about rebranding. SI brought it up too.

That means it's worth its own thread.

Time to give up the good fight, friend, and just accept it.

meh probably but ill just to go luker status. i mean whats the point of a sticky thread then? lol

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    that sounds like a WNBA team
    Kind of what I thought when the Thunder rebranded.

I hope they rebrand the name to something stupid like New Orleans Shuckers and the Cheerleaders be a bunch of oyster shuckers.
    Then we can have shucking contest during the game. I know how you feel Blaqmoon. That's why I just lurk.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaqmoon View Post
    meh probably but ill just to go luker status. i mean whats the point of a sticky thread then? lol
    Sticky threads are for lingering but not breaking stories. You don't want a new thread when someone wants to post the original name that just came to them that's already been posted 10 times. You do however want a new thread for actual breaking news, like an SI reporter indicating there is momentum within the organization for a rebrand.

If the mods want to merge this with the sticky now that it's gotten its proper burn on the forums, that's their decision. But just keep in mind that as much as you get annoyed and say, "Does this have to turn into ANOTHER rebrand thread?" people can take your complaining about rebranding just as annoying. It goes both ways.

definitely on board with Krewe of New Orleans...no "THE" in front either. Just Krewe of New Orleans...that would be bad ***.

I see a lot of people want to go with a name that represents the city, or shows some significance, but what about The 12 as in the War of 1812, as in the Battle of New Orleans, as in the English turn, as in New Orleans would not fall or be taken? Plenty of teams use numbers like this 49ers, 76'ers, 66ers, 51's. Just throwing it out there.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I see a lot of people want to go with a name that represents the city, or shows some significance, but what about The 12 as in the War of 1812, as in the Battle of New Orleans, as in the English turn, as in New Orleans would not fall or be taken? Plenty of teams use numbers like this 49ers, 76'ers, 66ers, 51's. Just throwing it out there.
    I actually like that also because there are 12 players on a team. Except then our inactives would feel left out.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    New Orleans Old Hickory or New Orleans Battle with Andrew Jackson Mascot lol

The battle on new Orleans was in 1814, after the war was over. Just saying.

The Franchise
    The New Orleans Nightmares

What if we went the Golden State Route:

Crescent City Krewe
    Crescent City Brass
    Crescent City Soul
    Crescent City Rollers

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jizamo311 View Post
    What if we went the Golden State Route:

Crescent City Krewe
    Crescent City Brass
    Crescent City Soul
    Crescent City Rollers
    Does the average person not in the area know that's the nickname for New Orleans? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    The battle on new Orleans was in 1814, after the war was over. Just saying.
    Last major battle of the war of 1812. 12 guys on a team. Sounds cooler than 15's (the last fights ended in 1815). But whatever, just throwing the idea out there.

Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    Does the average person not in the area know that's the nickname for New Orleans? I doubt it.
    Don't think it matters. I followed the NBA for 5 years before actually figuring out where the Golden State Warriors played. I live in the Bay Area now and haven't heard the term Golden State once. I think they just wanted to avoid the term Oakland because of the Raiders.

Thinking about this more made me realize the NBA probably isn't interested in getting too exotic with the name. I think the most likely one is Gators, with Pelicans or VooDoo (worried the NBA would be retarded and perceive this as a negative publicity from satanism or some garbage though) good possibilities. They definitely want something New Orleans/gulf centric though.

Thread Information