Pelicans Report

Thread: Ignorance in the Local Media

Blog Entries

Ignorance in the Local Media

Joe Gerrity, Hornets247.com
    You told me how much you liked John DeShazier’s latest piece, so I wrote a little something highlighting my favorite paragraph.

I typically pass over the Times-Picayune since overwhelmingly the content in their non-game day stories simply rehashes what they wrote the day before, or is made up almost entirely of quotes. There’s nothing wrong with that, and I actually appreciate having the quotes available in writing for the rest of our writers. I hate transcribing things. However, since I actually follow the team, I don’t have a reason to read the TP regularly.

Quite frankly, it seems like most of their stuff is written for people who don’t follow the Hornets on a day-to-day basis. That’s cool. I’m glad they do that. The lovely people at Hornets Report find any useful tidbits in the ......

More >>

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Mitigated disaster would be more appropriate.

Thank you Joe for pointing out exactly what a lot of us true hornets fans notice. It is bad enough the national media doesnt care about the hornets nor the city of new orleans but for our local media to be kinda asinine about OUR team is kinda frustrating.
    Last edited by superstar7th; 02-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.

True™ fans!

Who made that trademark UP? Is it still going to be valid when the team is sold?

I'm glad the NBA is doing what it has to to keep the Hornets here. Everybody out there is complaining about our record this year and league ownership, but it will ensure our success and tenure here in the long run.

As my mom always used to say, "can't see the forest for the trees..." Not one "insider" in the bunch. Only one worse is Fletcher...

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Who made that trademark UP? Is it still going to be valid when the team is sold?
    I did. Every time someone invokes the True™ fans argument they owe me $100 in royalties.

One of my favorite quotes...

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which the unskilled suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which the unskilled suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."
    what he said...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

It really is depressing the way the Hornets are treated by the media here. They seem to be an afterthought. The TP coverage, as stated previously, leaves a lot to be desired. The local news will show a highlight or two and the final score and that's it. You never see post game comments from players or coaches on the news. Why is that? Radio is a little better. WWL is WWL--lousy. Last week, when news was breaking about Raj Bhathal's group being the leading group to purchase the Hornets, what was the topic on WWL? "Would you give up football for Lent?" That's not a joke. It was the topic of the show. The Morning Drive on 690 did some good coverage of the Hornets and now they are going off the air Wednesday. Thank God for Gerry V having his show or we wouldn't have any Hornets talk.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

Darwin said all this in one sentence Mr. Dunning and Kruger.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Darwin said all this in one sentence Mr. Dunning and Kruger.
    Which one? Ha. Kidding. It's a good one.

Darwin had two main sentences to me: kids are a bit like their parents, and the longer you live, the more chance you have to reproduce (paraphrase).

I agree with all that was said, the media coverage of this team is a joke, especially now that CP3 is gone.

Thread Information