Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

but i still dont get why mardi gras? i mean the Saints arent mardi gras and they have awesome uniforms and logo
    If Wayne is E.T.-ish tell him phone home

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    But guyyyyyys if we change from Hornets than we can't make, like, a bajillion puns about our name.. What would we chant for "Defense" if we can't yell "BEE-Fense"?? Huh? What would we call New Orleans Arena if we won't call it the "Hive"? What about that? I mean, I can't even think of a single pun for the Krewe!...

In all reality, I would love a rebrand, because I think it would help way more than hurt.

BigDub check your private messages. I have a an idea I want to share with you and eventually everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceedee M View Post
    Counting down the days when people who hate a thread topic stop commenting in a thread topic they hate just so they can say how much they hate the thread topic...
    Yeah, dissention isn't tolerated here. It should all be for the joy of the establishment, regardless of value.

Don't worry, I'm used to it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaqmoon View Post
    but i still dont get why mardi gras? i mean the Saints arent mardi gras and they have awesome uniforms and logo
    One way or another, New Orleans is known for three things, great food, jazz, and Mardi Gras. And as luck would have it, the Saints got their name from an early jazz song. I'm sure you know the one.

Unless you can come up with a great food themed name that isn't easily mocked, then Mardi Gras it is.

Unless you wanna have a more abstract name like the New Orleans Culture or Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    One way or another, New Orleans is known for three things, great food, jazz, and Mardi Gras. And as luck would have it, the Saints got their name from an early jazz song. I'm sure you know the one.

Unless you can come up with a great food themed name that isn't easily mocked, then Mardi Gras it is.

Unless you wanna have a more abstract name like the New Orleans Culture or Spirit.
    Well, if you wanna incorporate New Orleans and basketball, you know there's only one name that's capable of doing it.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar

I'm really afraid others might refer to us as the Culture club....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Rebrand to the Charlotte Hornets~

Also, no to something like Culture or Spirit... this isn't a WNBA franchise.

Also also did someone just say Mardi Gras was unoriginal? Really?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I like the name and I am now only doing this to keep 42 on his toes.....Tourist to a server in a New Orleans restaurant...."Excuse me, but what are those little bready things in my salad"?.....response..."Ma'am, down here we refer to those as Krewetons"....

and when we had a game well in hand with little time left, that would surely be Krewe's control....

and we all know what we would call a bundled shirt that was launched way up into the seats....that's right, a Krewe's missile....
    Last edited by ramsters60; 02-28-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Rebrand to the Charlotte Hornets~

Also, no to something like Culture or Spirit... this isn't a WNBA franchise.
    Also also did someone just say Mardi Gras was unoriginal? Really?
    That's what I thought too.

Also sounds like some cheerleader thing. "We got spirit, yes we do! We got spirit how 'bout you?"

Banned
    what about the new orleans mardi gras

Bdub, I love the brass logos!!

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    Agreed. Why not change the name of the city too, from New Orleans to Mardi Gras.

I don't get why so many want to have a Mardi gras themed sports franchise. It's lame and unoriginal.

Really? Because there are so many other Mardi Gras themed teams right?

Please, please take the Hornets name back. Don't like it. Never did. Re-brand.

Krewe is not my favorite. Voodoo is but it's unavailable I guess. Stupid arena crap. Brass is meh.

But anything > Hornets.
    Last edited by ULsaint; 02-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    NEONIGHTS?!?

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    . A whole heck of a lot of this city still feels this way, and we’d do just about anything to get our name/colors back.

I’ve been reading in various places that y’all are about as eager to shed yourselves of the stench of Shinn as we are to eliminate the residual B** Johnson filth that permeates every nook and cranny of our franchise. So I figured…why not come straight to the source? I've provided the link for the Facebook page I’ve set up supporting Charlotte reclaiming our original, regionally-significant and beloved name, and New Orleans rebranding under the banner of one of y’alls’ myriad unique cultural traditions. I friggin’ LOVE the Krewe thing…it actually seems like something that would attract people to y’alls’ brand on a national level…

…we pretty much just have the Hornets…

]

Unless I hear/read that Michael Jordan is willing to take the logo, colors, and associate his franchise completely with the Hornets' history..NO DICE.

And upon reading this quote from The Charlotte Observer, I'm very doubtful that it will happen.

If this happens, and the Bobcats decide to become the Hornets, the change would cost $3 million to $5 million, says Pete Guelli, the Bobcats' chief sales and marketing officer.
    Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
    Last edited by Teal Lantern; 02-29-2012 at 04:42 AM.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    But guyyyyyys if we change from Hornets than we can't make, like, a bajillion puns about our name.. What would we chant for "Defense" if we can't yell "BEE-Fense"?? Huh? What would we call New Orleans Arena if we won't call it the "Hive"? What about that? I mean, I can't even think of a single pun for the Krewe!...

In all reality, I would love a rebrand, because I think it would help way more than hurt.
    You could use some local flavor, come on man, be creative! May be the Gumbo Pot..

And as luck would have it, the Saints got their name from an early jazz song. I'm sure you know the one.
    Actually, it's a Gospel song.

Quote Originally Posted by AsimoV82 View Post
    You think facts matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I like the name and I am now only doing this to keep 42 on his toes.....Tourist to a server in a New Orleans restaurant...."Excuse me, but what are those little bready things in my salad"?.....response..."Ma'am, down here we refer to those as Krewetons"....

and when we had a game well in hand with little time left, that would surely be Krewe's control....

and we all know what we would call a bundled shirt that was launched way up into the seats....that's right, a Krewe's missile....
    Krewesin' for a bruisin' when where losin'

Krewesin for a brewsin' when were are winning.

St. Bernard Eagles for life NicosiaBuzz377's Avatar
    NEONIGHTS.

When the Twolves were moving here (The New Orleans Got Em's), they were going to have a contest to name the team. I was 14, I wanted to submit "Pistols" which signified Pistol Pete, and the history of the Dueling Oaks in City park. Now it would signify our crime rate, but I know with the violent undertone of then name like the Washington Bullets it would never happen. Ive grown used to the Hornet name, but id love (like everyone) to get the Jazz name back. Seeing those uniforms and logo attached to Utah sickens me every time, and has since I was a young boy. I'd also like to see a New Orleans Buccaneers rebrand. I was shocked and disappointed we were not included in the ABA Anniversary Throwbacks this year, when the past few we have worn the Bucs throwbacks. If we cant have Jazz, my favorites already mentioned are KREWE and BRASS or THE NEW ORLEANS CONSISTENTLY WASTE DRAFT PICKS AND TRADE AWAY YOUNG TALENT.

New Orleans Courtney Alexander's
    New Orleans Kirk Haston's
    New Orleans Tim Pickett's
    New Orleans Adam Haluska's
    New Orleans J.R. Smith's
    New Orleans Bass (for brandon bass)
    New Orleans Vinicius'
    New Orleans JuJu's
    New Orleans Hilton/Cedric's
    New Orleans Marcus Thorton's
    New Orleans Darren Collision's
    Last edited by NicosiaBuzz377; 02-29-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Rebrand & Give Hornets Name Back To Charlotte?

WHY LET THE HORNETS NAME GO BACK TO CHARLOTTE? Other than pure athleticism, sports are a product of their place and time. Of course athletic talent and winning are the end-game. But a Charlotte Hornets game was more than just a game--it was a local party almost every time--and the whole region was invited.

But that was 20 years ago, so anyone who moved to Charlotte after that, or was too young to have been aware of the sports culture begun in Charlotte by the Hornets back then, will have little, if any, knowledge of how palpable the fun was with the Charlotte Hornets.

Carolina beach music played in the "Hive" along with classic rock and more current tunes. Something for everyone - like Shakespeare plays were designed for their diverse audiences in their own time.

It was also exemplified in the "little" things like uniforms and team colors and teal coliseum seats by well-known NC designer--Alexander Julian, whose Hornets apparel still sells - worldwide. His Hornets uniforms designs changed the way all sports uniforms were designed since then.

Fans in the "Hive" were a combo of die-hard basketball fans, and the wine and cheese set--and what's wrong with that? Everyone's ticket money was well-spent there. Everyone had fun--win or lose. You could still follow your college teams so beloved in this region, and love the Hornets as well.

Even when we lost the game, Charlotte pride made it all OK. That's why we had the best attendance in the league. The "Hive" was a place to party, see and be seen--a place where you felt safe enough to bring your kids and meet your friends. And local restaurants greatly benefited before and after the games.
    George Shinn, a local guy and the Hornets founder, was a brilliant marketer at first, then lost his way when it became all about the money to him. He threatened to move the team a number of times before he actually did. That's when fans began to lose interest. Then it got worse.

Robert Johnson never made any attempt to make his team all about Charlotte--it was always all about him, his name --and all about his money. He had no clue about Carolina culture, and could have cared less about it, or about being a part of the community, which the Hornets and their players well understood from the start. Johnson's name, Bob, and the bad team karma can be purged forever from Charlotte sports if the Hornets name returns. That would be big.

Michael Jordan is a "favorite son" in the Carolinas. He surely well remembers how even in defeat, the Charlotte Hornets fans were every bit as excited to attend even a losing game as the Chicago Bulls fans were to attend their winning games when they were the national champs. Not many teams can claim that kind of loyalty in defeat--ok maybe NY Mets fans. But few else.

In the Carolinas, it's all about the culture of the fans, the corporate sponsors, and the history of the region. Without that, a sport is doomed here. That goes for football, golf, NASCAR, etc. if you want it to succeed here, you better play to local culture, pride and history.

Repatriating the Hornets name from New Orleans (N.O. deserves its own cultural team name, which seems to be the "buzz" in the Times-Picayune) would increase attendance, advertising and sponsorships, and merchandise sales. And it would help Charlotteans feel like the good old days just might return again someday soon. If Jordan decides to go for it, I have no doubt he would not let anything stand in his way.

With higher attendance, more TV revenue, sponsorship, merchandising and advertising dollars, and luxury box subscriptions, Jordan could afford to pay for better talent on the court, and things would begin to look up across the (score)board.

Or--maybe it wouldn't change a thing. Some will disagree. But nothing will improve without taking a few risks. Getting the Hornets name back would probably be pretty high on the reward vs. risk scale. Not much risk for a possible big reward for Jordan...and a great sports comeback for Charlotte and the Carolinas region.
    Charlotteans still want to have fun with basketball--but the Bob(Johnson)cats haven't hit that mark. MJ needs to put his own fun spin on our b-ball.

The combined good karma of native-son Michael Jordan bringing the Charlotte Hornets back would be a positive force for Jordan, Charlotte, and for the NBA itself. Commissioner Stern should yield the Hornets name back to Charlotte at no cost. It fits nowhere else but here.

Teams should never again have their original names moved when teams have to move. Each city/region should have a name, a brand, that reflects its own culture. Basketball needs more positive forces going for it these days--if it is to survive as a major sport in the minds of a great many sports fans. So, let's bring back the Hornets to Charlotte. Let N.O. brand their own team with their own culture. Let's bring back the fun to BOTH cities.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...10429122320741

***SIGN THE PETITION!!!*** http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

Check the link and like. Support the movement New Orleans needs its own brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by AsimoV82 View Post
    Everything's relative. Especially where music's concerned. From African tribal songs to slave spirituals to gospel to blues with ragtime to jazz to rock 'n' roll and on and on and on.

Bobcats = Worst Name For A Team Ever

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    You don't be any chance know a John Morgan, do ya?
    Wherehappens.

Thread Information