My last suggestion...

Swamp donkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    My last suggestion...

Swamp donkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the thing I like about this suggestion is that we can expect it to be your last...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    My last suggestion...

Swamp donkeys
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

If the team name is Krewe, I think it'd sound cooler as the Crescent City Krewe.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHornetsFan View Post
    If the team name is Krewe, I think it'd sound cooler as the Crescent City Krewe.
    completely agree!!

CRESCENT CITY KREWE

Krewe does not come at the end though. It never should. Krewe of Crescent City

I'm pretty sure the league isn't going to let the name be "___________ of New Orleans" or "___________ of Crescent City".

I know we want to be different but would the league let us be THAT different?

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I'm pretty sure the league isn't going to let the name be "___________ of New Orleans" or "___________ of Crescent City".

If that turns out to be the case, I much prefer Crescent City Krewe to New Orleans Krewe.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post

Not so sure they wouldn't allow that. Remember the NHL once had the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim!

New Orleans Beat?

What do people think of this name. I think the NBA will like this one the most. It's the most marketable, in my opinion, but what do I know.

Souljas

Some name submissions.

I am not a fan of the New Orleans Hornets because I was a fan of the Charlotte Hornets. I followed that team from the time they entered the NBA and when they left that was it for me. I jumped on the Charlotte Bobcats bandwagon but am hoping the Hornets name original colors and logo return to Charlotte.

I think it is really stupid that Stern as well as the state of Utah want to keep the name Jazz there. I would think the people of Utah would want to have a name that makes better sense to the region if not the state.

As far as a re branding of your current NBA team I have a few names but one in particular I think is cool and it has a french connection. With the French connection in southern La I could see your team called the New Orleans Corsairs. The French Kings hired pirate like privateers to raid ships and they were called Corsairs.

Another name for Cajuns used to be the Acadians. New Orleans Acadians. Also I could see buying the name Voodoo from the Arena Football team and letting them re brand. Either that or both teams could share the name and only the logo and colors would change for the NBA team. Remember at one time the NFL had the St Louis Cardinals baseball team and the St Louis or Arizona Cardinals Football team. I realize that the Arena Football League is a minor league but I think it would work for both leagues, sports and the teams. Anyway those are my submissions.

Yes. How about contract the New Orleans franchise and give the name Bobcats to Utah and bring the Hornets name back to Charlotte where it should have stayed all along. Charlotte has a longer history in the NBA than New Orleans overall.

Truthfully I do not mean that but you should think twice before you talk about contracting someone else's team. In reality New Orleans would be better changing from the New Orleans Hornets to the Louisiana "whatever name is chosen's." Your state has only one city worthy of pro teams and to only represent the city is somewhat unfair to the people who live in the state and support the teams in NOLA.

The name Hornets is not just some cool sounding name chosen by the people of Charlotte. It represents the city and the state and belongs where it makes sense and many people still tend to feel it should be. Just listen to how many sports people say Charlotte Hornets or how many sports writers mention it as Charlotte Hornets. For those that do not like teal as a color I would love to have that color and the logo and name back in the city where they were born.

Breaking News

New Orleans Sinners - we can have the Saints and Sinners in one town.

Actually the word Breeze is not just a play on the cities NFL QB. It references the gulf breezes that blow into the city. With that said I do not care for the name.

Hornets does belong to Charlotte.

Sadly, the NBA has never had the foresight to lock the name with a city and keep it that way. Honestly, the Commissioner O'Brien should have said "No, the Jazz name does NOT fit Utah, and NO, it will not be the Utah JAZZ!!!" That ship has sailed.

however, when New Orleans is renamed, I would wholeheartedly agree that the name Hornets and their colors return to Charlotte.

Should they pay? Well if I'm T-Bone Tom Benson and I just spent $338 million, yeah, I want some money or something.

rhythm kings
    Last edited by Shrimpnose; 04-18-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinardo View Post
    New Orleans Sinners - we can have the Saints and Sinners in one town.
    I'm glad to see there are other international fans as equally disappointed as myself. It is a relief the team has a new (New Orleans friendly) owner, but it is upsetting to hear he wants to change the name. I have been a fan of the Hornets since around the time they were established. The name is the only part of the team's identity left - I don't know if I'll remain a fan after the name change (the change better be good).

I suggested the New Orleans Voodoo, which, while not great for merchandising and somewhat cliche, would allow the team to dawn black jerseys with purple, creole blue, and yellow pinstripes. I think it'd look sharp and more intimidating. A witch-doctor mascot would also be taunting for visitors.
    Follow the Hornets name back to Charlotte where it should be and where it started. Tom Benson wants a name that represents the city of NOLA and even to a certain extent the state. I don't blame him. Google the meaning for the name Hornets in the city of Charlotte and you will see why it belongs in Charlotte and should return there. Unlike some of you international and national fans of the Hornets I was a Charlotte Hornets fans from the beginning when I followed them as an expansion team while living here in North East Texas. I was not into basketball when the previous NBA expansion happened in 1980 so for me the expansion of the Hornets, Heat, Magic and Timberwolves was a big deal. I loved the Hornets colors, uniform and logo the best and was first and foremost a fan of that team. I felt like I lived in Charlotte or NC even though I had never been there. When the team left to NOLA I could not support them. When Charlotte got the Bobcats I was a fan of a team in Charlotte again. I still am. However I feel the original logo, colors, name and uniforms should for the most part return. Maybe a few changes to fit into today. Otherwise the same.
    Last edited by BobCatsFanInTx; 04-18-2012 at 05:58 PM.

I do kind of like it, but "beat" is also synonymous with losing..."Beat again", "beat the Beat", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    What do people think of this name. I think the NBA will like this one the most. It's the most marketable, in my opinion, but what do I know.
    I do kind of like it, but "beat" is also synonymous with losing..."Beat again", "beat the Beat", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCatsFanInTx View Post
    Follow the Hornets name back to Charlotte where it should be and where it started. Tom Benson wants a name that represents the city of NOLA and even to a certain extent the state. I don't blame him. Google the meaning for the name Hornets in the city of Charlotte and you will see why it belongs in Charlotte and should return there. Unlike some of you international and national fans of the Hornets I was a Charlotte Hornets fans from the beginning when I followed them as an expansion team while living here in North East Texas. I was not into basketball when the previous NBA expansion happened in 1980 so for me the expansion of the Hornets, Heat, Magic and Timberwolves was a big deal. I loved the Hornets colors, uniform and logo the best and was first and foremost a fan of that team. I felt like I lived in Charlotte or NC even though I had never been there. When the team left to NOLA I could not support them. When Charlotte got the Bobcats I was a fan of a team in Charlotte again. I still am. However I feel the original logo, colors, name and uniforms should for the most part return. Maybe a few changes to fit into today. Otherwise the same.
    That is funny because I went through the same predicament but chose to stay with the team and not the city. I would like to continue rooting for the Hornets regardless of the name change (although most of the suggestions, short of Voodoo, which I know is already taken by the AFL team, are not better than the Hornets). If the Bobcats became the Charlotte Hornets I would have a hard time not rooting for them, but I don't see that happening. I'm thinking I'll remain loyal to the team formerly known as the Hornets. I'm hoping David Stern pulls a "Lakers trade" and prohibits the name change. He didn't seem excited about the idea when Tom Benson first brought it up. I want the Hornets to be New Orleans' team, but not under "their" conditions; it really puts out the international fans. I just feel like the Hornets will always be second fiddle to the Saints in New Orleans. If the name Hornets isn't good enough than we might as well just call them the Saints 2. Also, sorry your Bobcats suck so much - tough break.

Just cuz

Not that it matters to others, but if we go with anything like Bounce or Spirit, I will only buy gear with New Orleans and not a WNBA style logo on it.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Agreed Joe. No, this is not my first post. I was on here from day 1 when we were arguing with some of the fools from Charlotte about the possibility of relocation. It's been a while however and I forgot my log in info so I began anew. Yes, I do go to games...about 15-20 per season. Wish it was more.

Okay, I know there is a need to brand this team with something that represents the city. I get it. But if we're going to force it and be something like the Krewe, the Parades, the Deanies Seafood Platters, the Neutral Grounds near Delgado at New Orleans, or the Hubigs, can we please just stay the Hornets (and tweak the colors)? When it comes to team names, I'm no fan of weather names, chemical reactions, foods, events, or stuff ya mamma used to say. In my humble opinion Krewe is a horrible name. Nothing about it is sports oriented other than being a group of people.

Of all the names I have seen so far, Pelicans would work best. It is representative, easy to depict, and has a real history. I would be open to other possibilities. I love Mardi Gras but please No Krewe. For the record, New Orleanians (the real ones) are not Cajuns nor are they Coonasses (see Cajuns).

Thread Information