Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

I love the hornets moniker, but that's just because it took so long to grow on me (fleur dis bee is pretty awesome), but I love the idea of a name change just to make the team feel more like ours rather than 10 year old remnants of the Charlotte hornets. My only problem with rebranding has been poor suggestions made on other media (WWL). Some of my least favorite that I have heard there so far include:

Muffaletta
    Mardi Gras
    Shrimp
    Crawfish
    Crescents
    Breeze (easily my least favorite, we get it, play on Bree s hardy har)

Anyways my point is that while none of the ones on HR has been met with total support, I definitely feel like the ones here have been better, more thought out and overall, I sincerely hope that if (when) the Hornets do rebrand the name will be from not only this forum, but this thread

/Endrant
    Last edited by LoCo89; 04-16-2012 at 03:37 PM.

How about the flavor, it will make all of the fans hungry for more. We could use many possibilities of food items for the logo, not sure about the colors though.

Muffalatas

@DatPurpleHornet

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
    HAHHAHAHAHAH

Damn... Horrible fail by me... I'm just gonna hide in this corner over here

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Skeeters........lol
    Last edited by Eman5805; 04-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I got a good one...The New Orleans King Snakes. Or Louisiana/Crescent City King Snakes. It screams louisiana lol You can even have it royalty/french themed.
    Last edited by wuggie; 04-16-2012 at 04:59 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I suggested Latter Day Saints to Joe while we were waiting for the yammering to start.

Works with Saints and timing, out-Utah's Utah, gives incentive to trade.

This name nor the trade will happen (and there will be pouty wittle faces), but boy would that cause trouble!

Krewe of New Orleans is by far the best option I've read here. It screams New Orleans and would be the most unique nickname in the history of professional sports. It's definitely got my vote.

Krewe sounds horrible if it came to that I would rather stay the Hornets.

The Name Isn't the Joke

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Im fine with the name itself, but at this point i feel we have to chane the name because of the perception of this organization. We're the butt of every joke as as long as were the hornets i dont see this changing no matter what we do.
    I agree with "The Octagon". I've been a HORNETS fan all my life and even followed the team to New Orleans. The Hornets are mocked because of their record; not their name! I'm glad Tom Benson wants to make the team winners but I always wanted the team to win a championship as the HORNETS - then they'd no longer be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
    Krewe sounds horrible if it came to that I would rather stay the Hornets.
    Your opinion doesn't matter.

I'm glad to see there are other international fans as equally disappointed as myself. It is a relief the team has a new (New Orleans friendly) owner, but it is upsetting to hear he wants to change the name. I have been a fan of the Hornets since around the time they were established. The name is the only part of the team's identity left - I don't know if I'll remain a fan after the name change (the change better be good).

I suggested the New Orleans Voodoo, which, while not great for merchandising and somewhat cliche, would allow the team to dawn black jerseys with purple, creole blue, and yellow pinstripes. I think it'd look sharp and more intimidating. A witch-doctor mascot would also be taunting for visitors.

Is anyone interested in the name Horns?

Drop the "ets" and we have a name that tributes the major instruments in a Jazz band and brass band. We can keep the alternative logo but maybe change the colors a bit or completely.

Mr Benson how about The New Orleans Breeze.

I have noticed that most people loved Bigdubs Breakers Uniform but aren't keen on the name breakers. So how would you feel about a different name that can still fit that concept. Good Idea/Bad Idea? Any suggestions? I think it has to be something nautical

Captains, Surge.....maybe

**I personally think breakers works. Its very Gulf Coast and can be used in basketball references (Fast Breakers, Ankle Breakers, Rim Breakers, Game Breakers). However, I know some people don't like the idea that the name came from Boston.
    Last edited by ATR22; 04-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATR22 View Post
    I have noticed that most people loved Bigdubs Breakers Uniform but aren't keen on the name breakers. So how would you feel about a different name that can still fit that concept. Good Idea/Bad Idea? Any suggestions? I think it has to be something nautical

Captains, Surge.....maybe
    Someone suggested the Corsairs name on that design with the green colors. I could see that.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Someone suggested the Corsairs name on that design with the green colors. I could see that.
    True. I'm not a big fan of Corsairs personally, it seems very clipperesque to me, but it could work

KINGFISH

New Orleans Kingfish

My one and only attempt at a thread for a name change...

The kings are going to Anaheim and changing their name to Royals...

Lets do it for Huey!!!

or Crescent City Connection... Maybe it was two.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYHornetsFan View Post
    I'm glad to see there are other international fans as equally disappointed as myself. It is a relief the team has a new (New Orleans friendly) owner, but it is upsetting to hear he wants to change the name. I have been a fan of the Hornets since around the time they were established. The name is the only part of the team's identity left - I don't know if I'll remain a fan after the name change (the change better be good).

I suggested the New Orleans Voodoo, which, while not great for merchandising and somewhat cliche, would allow the team to dawn black jerseys with purple, creole blue, and yellow pinstripes. I think it'd look sharp and more intimidating. A witch-doctor mascot would also be taunting for visitors.
    No disrespect, but if you stop being a fan of the team because we changed our name/brand, then you never was a fan, just a fan of the name/brand

Quote Originally Posted by The Octagon View Post
    I honestly don't think those of you whom are based in New Orleans understand the magnitude of supporters who live in places outside of America. I have followed the hornets from the early 90s and at that time they were huge in Australia (where I am from). The NBA is no longer a competition limited to the states, and I imagine there would be kore that watch the game via league pass etc internationally than America. It's a global game, and people should no longer think of places as being big markets or small markets. I watch every hornets game on league pass, and having lived in the UK for 2 years just recently, there are plenty of hornets fans around the globe. You don't just change the team name to suit the folk in New Orleans, I'm a hornets fan first and foremost, and while being in new Orleans has seen me adopt the saints as my NFL team, I would follow the hornets franchise if they moved.

Just my two cents, hoping to make some on here realise their are hotnets fans outside the borders of NOLA
    I agree. I've been a Hornets fan since I was little. I've visited New Orleans twice to see the team play. This talk of name change is upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    No disrespect, but if you stop being a fan of the team because we changed our name/brand, then you never was a fan, just a fan of the name/brand
    I considered that, but I've been loyal to this organization for far too long to second guess myself. Once the name/brand changes there is nothing left of the team I began rooting for long ago. I've seen stars come and go, the city change twice, and ownership/management change (thank goodness George Shinn is gone!). If the Hornets change their name now they might as well be an expansion team.

Quick fact for anyone wondering, the Hornets got their name because Charlotte was referred to as the Wasps' Nest during the Civil War because of a tenacious base the Confederacy had set up there. The Hornets were almost names the Charlotte Spirit. I think the Spirit is a horrible franchise name. The New Orleans Spirit, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by NYHornetsFan View Post
    Quick fact for anyone wondering, the Hornets got their name because Charlotte was referred to as the Wasps' Nest during the Civil War because of a tenacious base the Confederacy had set up there. The Hornets were almost names the Charlotte Spirit. I think the Spirit is a horrible franchise name. The New Orleans Spirit, anyone?
    That would've been our name. And we probably would've never gotten rid of it.

The Spirit sounds like a dance team. As a matter of fact I think the Clippers' dance team name IS the Spirit. Uggh. WWL anchorwoman Angela Hill said she likes the name The New Orleans Spirit. No ma'am. LOL.

Thread Information