.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 854

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

  1. #26
    The Franchise    Contributor   

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    2,449
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    To man, all of the nonlocal fans I've spoken to are against a rebrand.

    I don't care at all.

    I just can't wait until next summer, as that should bring an end to the discussion.

    Personally some just use it as an excuse to complain. When all the excuses are gone, hopefully they'll just be fans, critical or not, or just shut up, rather than bore the world with their outdated, lazy, poorly thought out agenda.
    We have to speak so I can be the first.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

  2. #27
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Metairie Hornet View Post
    I know the name is taken by the AFL, but I like the New Orleans Voodoo. Besides that I like the New Orleans Krewe.
    I would think the name Voodoo is attainable. I'm not sure how much profit they are making but an infuse of cash I'm sure wouldn't hurt. The price just has to be right. Thought I agree. I'd say the odds of it happening are 1 in a million type odds.

  3. #28
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    We have to speak so I can be the first.
    I will officially add you to my count.

    Everytime I'm saying "With one exception . . . ", it's for you!
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  4. #29
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    New Orleans Bronies.

  5. #30
    Look at the Oklahoma City Thunder.. Rebranded and new colors when they moved.. And yes it was due to the fact that the city of seattle kept the sonic name and colors, but what do you think would happen if they stayed the sonics. People would still refer to them as Seattle..

  6. #31
    New Orleans Fleur de Bees! And then just have that logo as the main one.

  7. #32
    King of Optimism!! Pilot172000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Winnsboro, La
    Posts
    631
    I'm sick of going to a lids store and all I can find I Charlotte Hornets hats. I prefer the Brass and would like a new set of colors not incorporating any form of teal. Krewe kinda grows on me too.

  8. #33
    Starter Grayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    196
    Ugh, the rebrand discussion again.

    I'd like it to remain the Hornets (I support the Hornets brand as well as the New Orleans brand). But I understand where people come from in New Orleans when they say they want a new name. I just can't think of anything that would be cool when it comes to a name.

    I like Gators the best out of all of them or maybe even Buccaneers (the old name). But again, I'm in love with the Hornets brand.
    I like basketball

    Twitter: @jsgrayson


  9. #34
    i dont know which threads i see more this or the rehash of the Marcus Thornton trade.

  10. #35
    All-Star neitzelbaby12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    260
    A TANK
    Stay Classy, New Orleans Pelicans

  11. #36
    Starter HornetsFan90277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    172
    Jazz and make Utah get a new name.

  12. #37
    neonights

    /oldie but goodie

  13. #38
    The Artist    Contributor   
    bigdub81's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    604
    To my knowledge the owner of OKC either left the naming rights to the city of Seattle or still retains them. Either way I will applaud his move being that in this day and age, moving a franchise can be a bit finicky for fans on both sides. I'm more than sure that had he chosen to keep the name and colors of the Sonics, he would have undoubtly pissed off Sonics fans even more so, but those of OKC I fail to believe wouldn't be all that mad because they stood on the side of gaining a franchise.

    Had Shinn's ultimate plan come to fruition in keeping the team in OKC, would there still have been home grown fans there clamoring for a re-brand? Yes, there always are! It still wouldn't have happened since the Hornets were his baby and thus why we weren't given that option when the team moved here. It's understandable. If it were me I probably wouldn't have want to change it either, but then again we're talking about a guy who left because of more pressing issues outside the want of a new stadium. Rebranding the Hornets into something else was the furthest thing from his mind.

    This is one of the reasons IMO that Shinn's baggage still casts a pall over this franchise til' this day despite a few changes here and there. Keep in mind that we were his fall back option once his inital plan to move to Memphis got booted in favor of the Grizzlies relocation there. Also a factor is that Memphis chose to keep it's name but at least a few years in the decided to change colors, graphics, etc. to leave behind those of their Vancouver days. I can say that yes it worked because their fans buy into their brand.

    I'm not saying that we don't. We however were given a re-hashed product from an owner on his way out but desperatly trying to kindle a feel of his days in Charlotte. Would a new color scheme, no pinstripes, etc. have worked? Yes! People always buy into the new no matter how ugly it is which would bring me back to OKC. They have quite possibly the dumbest logo and color scheme in the NBA yet there fans buy into it because it is THEIRS!!!

    OKC made the Thunder theirs. Memphis made the Grizzlies theirs. We haven't after all these years, shaken the ghosts of Charlotte's past. This being one of the many reasons that analysts across the world do not respect our franchise! Do you think we would have had the same problem had we gotten the T-Wolves and rebranded them into the Brass? No, because they would be N.O.'s franchise, new uniforms, new name, new look and that is what it takes these days to get peoples attention.

    The Kings move from Sacramento to Anaheim and re-brand as the Royals. Nobody is going to call them the Kings! The Oakland A's are possibly moving to San Jose, people are still going to call them the Oakland A's! It's just the ways sports teams are preceived now and it sucks for us because we have a unique culture and city to go with that with all it's beaming creativity, we still have to rely upon a name that until it's gone, very few will associate with this city!

  14. #39
    ATR22 ATR22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    393
    ^^^^^^. Like the Brass,Krewe, and how about New Orleans JAM...short for Jambalaya!

  15. #40
    Pretty cool. Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    3,493
    I like the creativity, but Jam just feels too... 1990's to me

  16. #41
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    The New Orleans Name that Irritates Fans Who Only Support a Team Because of Its Name and Awful Teal Uniforms. It just slides of the tongue, no?

  17. #42
    ATR22 ATR22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I like the creativity, but Jam just feels too... 1990's to me

    HAHA..it just came to me. Can't argue with you, but its just a matter of time before the 90's are back popular again. I think there is actually a NBADL team named the Jam.

  18. #43
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by ATR22 View Post
    HAHA..it just came to me. Can't argue with you, but its just a matter of time before the 90's are back popular again. I think there is actually a NBADL team named the Jam.
    Bakersfield. Your friend and mine Brian Butch played for them before coming here.

  19. #44
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    To my knowledge the owner of OKC either left the naming rights to the city of Seattle or still retains them. Either way I will applaud his move being that in this day and age, moving a franchise can be a bit finicky for fans on both sides. I'm more than sure that had he chosen to keep the name and colors of the Sonics, he would have undoubtly pissed off Sonics fans even more so, but those of OKC I fail to believe wouldn't be all that mad because they stood on the side of gaining a franchise.

    Had Shinn's ultimate plan come to fruition in keeping the team in OKC, would there still have been home grown fans there clamoring for a re-brand? Yes, there always are! It still wouldn't have happened since the Hornets were his baby and thus why we weren't given that option when the team moved here. It's understandable. If it were me I probably wouldn't have want to change it either, but then again we're talking about a guy who left because of more pressing issues outside the want of a new stadium. Rebranding the Hornets into something else was the furthest thing from his mind.

    This is one of the reasons IMO that Shinn's baggage still casts a pall over this franchise til' this day despite a few changes here and there. Keep in mind that we were his fall back option once his inital plan to move to Memphis got booted in favor of the Grizzlies relocation there. Also a factor is that Memphis chose to keep it's name but at least a few years in the decided to change colors, graphics, etc. to leave behind those of their Vancouver days. I can say that yes it worked because their fans buy into their brand.

    I'm not saying that we don't. We however were given a re-hashed product from an owner on his way out but desperatly trying to kindle a feel of his days in Charlotte. Would a new color scheme, no pinstripes, etc. have worked? Yes! People always buy into the new no matter how ugly it is which would bring me back to OKC. They have quite possibly the dumbest logo and color scheme in the NBA yet there fans buy into it because it is THEIRS!!!

    OKC made the Thunder theirs. Memphis made the Grizzlies theirs. We haven't after all these years, shaken the ghosts of Charlotte's past. This being one of the many reasons that analysts across the world do not respect our franchise! Do you think we would have had the same problem had we gotten the T-Wolves and rebranded them into the Brass? No, because they would be N.O.'s franchise, new uniforms, new name, new look and that is what it takes these days to get peoples attention.

    The Kings move from Sacramento to Anaheim and re-brand as the Royals. Nobody is going to call them the Kings! The Oakland A's are possibly moving to San Jose, people are still going to call them the Oakland A's! It's just the ways sports teams are preceived now and it sucks for us because we have a unique culture and city to go with that with all it's beaming creativity, we still have to rely upon a name that until it's gone, very few will associate with this city!
    Seattle has them, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure what that means, but Sonicsgate said something to that effect.

    The holding of the name was also a stab at the team . . . Sonic is headquartered just a few blocks from the Arena. Let that percolate.

  20. #45
    The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    2,376
    New Orleans My Lil Ponies

    Cue UKP

  21. #46
    Wow this thread again another Rerun of the Rebrand/name change thread.

    GIFSoup

  22. #47
    momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,824
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Seattle has them, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure what that means, but Sonicsgate said something to that effect.

    The holding of the name was also a stab at the team . . . Sonic is headquartered just a few blocks from the Arena. Let that percolate.
    Clay owns it. Part of his agreement was that he would sell the name back (but not the history) if they got an arena built and landed a team within 5 to 6 years, after that time period he can choose not to sell the name back. That was the deal, I believe you can still find it online. So, the Seattle Sonics NBA finals trophy is in the OKC sports hall of fame and he had a replica made for Seattle. The history (retired jerseys, stats) are owned by Clay and he has no intention of selling it back, at least that was the last I heard on that matter.

    You can assume the NBA would pressure Clay to sell the name and imagery back to Seattle if and when they get a team, but he doesn't hate too ... that was part of the exit deal and it was posted online for all to see.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    New Orleans Bronies.
    Photobucket

  24. #49
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900

  25. #50
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post
    Photobucket
    You might not post much but when you do it's a home run.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •