Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    bored to death and one last effort not directly associated with the city/area....how about Marauders?

only if we're talking about Marauder Shields....ok that may be to obscure, I apologise in advance.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    God bless Shields. He tried to save Shepard from experiencing those endings.

I say either ArcAngles, Angels, or Voodoo. Food for thought both a MLB and NFL franchise use Cardinals.

You guys seen this outta SLC?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...enson.html.csp

I've always kinda figured y'all getting the Jazz back would be a long shot (and it still might be), but to see this sort of thing coming out of a major newspaper from the city in question has to get y'all at least a little excited about the possibility!
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

what about New Orleans Indians?

has a cultural aspect to it, the mascot could be BIG CHIEF, the possible color schemes are virtually endless, i think it works great
    Last edited by moubre4; 04-15-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Draft Pick
    No thanks. There's enough culturally insensitive nicknames in sport already without adding one more to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post

I've always kinda figured y'all getting the Jazz back would be a long shot (and it still might be), but to see this sort of thing coming out of a major newspaper from the city in question has to get y'all at least a little excited about the possibility!
    I think the idea just needs to marinate for a while up there. Thats all. A bit of a shock to the system right now. If they can find a name they all might like, then the idea becomes more possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Arc Angels?

To you that sounds New Orleans and better than Krewe?

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post

I know Jazz is synonymous with New Orleans but in all honestly do people really want that back? Utah has had that name for like 30 years now and if you say you're cheering for the Jazz everyone is gonna think Utah. If it upsets you being called Charlotte every now and then, then Jazz will just be ten times worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cmac81 View Post
    I know Jazz is synonymous with New Orleans but in all honestly do people really want that back? Utah has had that name for like 30 years now and if you say you're cheering for the Jazz everyone is gonna think Utah. If it upsets you being called Charlotte every now and then, then Jazz will just be ten times worse.
    100%. New Orleans only had the team for a handfull of years. Time to let that dream go. Let's get a new name.

Yes, I really want Jazz back. It's the best name. Should never have left. I want the name, colors, logo, etc. I don't care if it was in Moronville 50 years, it belongs in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by ULsaint View Post
    Yes, I really want Jazz back. It's the best name. Should never have left. I want the name, colors, logo, etc. I don't care if it was in Moronville 50 years, it belongs in New Orleans.
    The only thing I don't like about reconstituting the "Jazz" brand is that you'll have pundits all over making the same mistake they do with the Hornets, except they'll think of and refer to us as Utah instead of Charlotte.

I want a new, unmistakeable brand.

1. New Orleans Brass
    2. New Orleans Breakers
    3. New Orleans Angels

I think I'm done with Krewe...Its just too stereotypical and cliche NOLA. If that's the name the team takes on then I will love it and support it but its not my preferred name.

Breakers has a nice ring to it.

Brass is ok too.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by ATR22 View Post
    1. New Orleans Brass
    2. New Orleans Breakers
    3. New Orleans Angels

I think I'm done with Krewe...Its just too stereotypical and cliche NOLA. If that's the name the team takes on then I will love it and support it but its not my preferred name.
    That doesn't even make sense. Stereotypical and cliche New Orleans? Every name that's not based off of some animal is a cliche of a particular city. Unless it's beyond cliche and boring and generic with no meaning at all like the Nets or Thunder.

Knights
    Titans
    Crusaders
    Breakers
    Tigers
    Wildcats
    Gators

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That doesn't even make sense. Stereotypical and cliche New Orleans? Every name that's not based off of some animal is a cliche of a particular city. Unless it's beyond cliche and boring and generic with no meaning at all like the Nets or Thunder.
    I'll try to explain:

Something based off of Mardi Gras is cliche IMO. It is expected. New Orleans is much more than just Mardi Gras and I believe our brand could do more to endorse the city,state, and Gulf South Region rather than just Mardi Gras. As a native Louisianian I realize Mardi Gras is a huge event and part of the New Orleans/S. Louisiana culture but I believe our brand should represent more than Mardi Gras.

I don't think Krewe is a bad name its just not MY preferred choice.

I also hope we stay away from a Fleur-de-lis design for whatever brand we choose. They have become so overdone IMO and the Fleur-de-lis belongs to the Saints who were the original team to embrace it as the logo.

The city embraced it as a logo. No helping that. The fleur has to be part of the brand somehow. Whether it's played out and expected, the fleur is instantly recognizable, which is key when creating a brand.

Is Miami just a place that's hot? Is the only important thing about Phoenix the sun? Of course not. That's not what a new team name would even be about. What the name represents specifically isn't even important because no matter what the name is, it'll be common place after time.

Draft Pick
    New Orleans Lobsters sounds good to me.

Louisiana Lobsters. For alliterational purposes.

Louisiana Animals. Louisianimal

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I like the Crescent City Crusaders/Crusaders
    What about The Crescent City Knights?

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The city embraced it as a logo. No helping that. The fleur has to be part of the brand somehow. Whether it's played out and expected, the fleur is instantly recognizable, which is key when creating a brand.

Is Miami just a place that's hot? Is the only important thing about Phoenix the sun? Of course not. That's not what a new team name would even be about. What the name represents specifically isn't even important because no matter what the name is, it'll be common place after time.
    I'm not saying your wrong. I just do not think it is the best name to choose for a franchise that is looking to start over and expand its fan base. I think your last comments actually helped my case.

One of the worst things a business can do is try to sell a product to a target market that is too narrowly defined. Doing so leaves little room for growth and makes any growth much more difficult. Krewe works for NOLA and South LA but what about North LA, MS, AL, and the FL panhandle which are filled with basketball fans who have no team to support. Many people outside of our area will see KREWE and say those rednecks can't even spell Crew. Could Krewe reach those fans with proper marketing and a successful team, YES. However, it becomes much easier to capture those fans with a brand that is more widely accepted and one that embraces more than just Mardi Gras.

There are just better options than Krewe IMO. However like I said before if our team becomes the Krewe I will love and support the brand/team.

Seems alot of people are liking my idea of the soul and the knights/crusaders. good looking

lol
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by aussieNOHfan View Post
    Knights
    Titans
    Crusaders
    Breakers
    Tigers
    Wildcats
    Gators
    Breakers are ok. Gators, meh. The rest are freaking horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatMan504 View Post
    Seems alot of people are liking my idea of the soul and the knights/crusaders. good looking

lol
    Not me. Hate both.

Thread Information