Pelicans Report

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

The Franchise
    REAPERS, YEAH BABY.

The people of New Orleans could be said to have a lot of spirit. New Orleans Spirit is a name that I think fits the city. It was once the chosen name for your Hornets team in Charlotte before the people revolted. It is good they did because it really does not fit that city. Spirit could have many meanings. The haunted reputation of the city, the resilience of the people in the city and the night life the city is known for.

If you just want a name that brings to mind the cities haunted reputation you could go with the Specters. I know that is kind of out of place as far as NBA team names but I kind of like it.

I also like Rhythm. It does not describe any one genre of music popular in New Orleans but one could say it does describe all the great music in the city.

Another name that also is a bit menacing but makes sense is the New Orleans Corsairs. If the Cleveland Cavaliers can exist than so can the New Orleans Corsairs. Corsairs were privateers hired by many but among their suitors was the French Kings

Just a few of my suggestions.
    Last edited by BobCatsFanInTx; 04-19-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Spirit is lame. I've been convinced through listening to wist 690 the sportshangover the New Orleans Bounce is the most awesome of names. If you may have seen i've been repping the Krewe for over a year, but the bounce has multiple meanings. I think it would be awesome with "monkey on a stick" as the mascot, and some big freedia/dj jubilee playing during player intros with a bunch of ***** bouncing going around the arena. I'm all in on the Bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    Spirit is lame. I've been convinced through listening to wist 690 the sportshangover the New Orleans Bounce is the most awesome of names. If you may have seen i've been repping the Krewe for over a year, but the bounce has multiple meanings. I think it would be awesome with "monkey on a stick" as the mascot, and some big freedia/dj jubilee playing during player intros with a bunch of ***** bouncing going around the arena. I'm all in on the Bounce.
    Get Manny Fresh to be the DJ. LOL. But for real tho...I've been listening to sportshangover to and I find the name growing on me a little.

Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    Lol I think that was sarcasm.... Nonetheless, the way I feel about the bounce name...

All-Star
    Bounce is terrible. No offense.

"There is one spot on the globe, the possessor of which is our natural and habitual enemy. It is New Orleans."
    -Thomas Jefferson

I know that the Saints have a division rivalry with the NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers. And having a "Buccaneers" team to cheer for may not be what New Orleanians want (for that matter neither would Mr. Benson) but, the old ABA New Orleans Buccaneers logo is neat. With a little tweaking and sharpening, that New Orleans Buccaneers logo is classic and rivals that of the Boston Celtics.

Nonetheless..., Cheers to the New Orleans sports fans who will now have two teams to support... for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by HouRockets View Post
    I know that the Saints have a division rivalry with the NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers. And having a "Buccaneers" team to cheer for may not be what New Orleanians want (for that matter neither would Mr. Benson) but, the old ABA New Orleans Buccaneers logo is neat. With a little tweaking and sharpening, that New Orleans Buccaneers logo is classic and rivals that of the Boston Celtics.

Nonetheless..., Cheers to the New Orleans sports fans who will now have two teams to support... for many years to come.
    Im all about history, I would really go for bucs if it didnt cause so many issues (bucks/buccaneers of the NFL). That being said, I think it would be great to use as a throwback.

I like Bucs better than Brass or Krewe.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Bounce is terrible. Reapers is terrible. If you are offended by that... well, you should be. Take a step back and try to think of something that actually has local ties/relevance. The team isn't going to be named something utterly generic (or that requires a massive amount of explanation and back engineering to tie in to New Orleans/Louisiana). I don't want a name like Bobcats, Raptors, Wizards, Thunder, etc. I want something like Celtics, 76ers, Magic, Bulls, etc. Not only do I not want it, Tom Benson doesn't want it. If he did want a generic name he would have just kept Hornets.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I dig the name Reapers. That's ill!

You're right, it is ill.

The Bulls were named after the young son of the team's founder dismissed the dad's idea of nicknames as a "bunch of bull". No lie.

I'm thinking it had to do with the Bull & Bear market with the financial center in Chicago~

I'm going to throw out a bunch and see if anything sticks. I like the idea of going by Crescent City...Sorry for any repeats:

The New Orleans Voodoo (still my favorite)
    The New Orleans Brass Ballers (joke)
    The New Orleans Fire (referring to the Great New Orleans Fire of 1788)
    The New Orleans Black Magic
    The New Orleans Everglades
    The New Orleans Spirit
    The New Orleans Funk
    The New Orleans Soul
    The Crescent City Soul
    The Crescent City Krewe
    The Crescent City Carnage
    The Crescent City Clash
    The Crescent City Crawdads
    The Crescent City Cannons
    The Crescent City Crusade
    I also like the New Orleans Reapers, which somebody threw out there

Good choice.

Too generic.
    Same as Voodoo.
    Better suited for Florida.
    Too WNBA/generic.
    Maybe.
    Too WNBA/generic.
    Sure.
    Too generic.
    Too generic.
    Too hokey.
    Too generic.
    Too jihadist.
    Too generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    I'm thinking it had to do with the Bull & Bear market with the financial center in Chicago~
    No, the owner wanted to name a team from the Chicago stockyards. He brought matadors and something else. His son said it was a bunch of bull. Bulls fit his stockyard desire.

Its like how the Dodgers were named. The owner noticed people dodging trolleys.

I like how the Raptors were named... after a 1990's movie.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Bounce is terrible. Reapers is terrible. If you are offended by that... well, you should be. Take a step back and try to think of something that actually has local ties/relevance. The team isn't going to be named something utterly generic (or that requires a massive amount of explanation and back engineering to tie in to New Orleans/Louisiana). I don't want a name like Bobcats, Raptors, Wizards, Thunder, etc. I want something like Celtics, 76ers, Magic, Bulls, etc. Not only do I not want it, Tom Benson doesn't want it. If he did want a generic name he would have just kept Hornets.
    You can't pick and choose which names that carry explanations to use and which don't just willy nilly. I would've said Bulls was generic...until you bring up the naming origin. And not everyone even knows of the Bull and Bear market. Explanations. Elaborations.

Reapers is the same friggin' thing.

Someone said we need a name that people will instantly get, will think of as cool, and has some subtley to it. A reaper itself isn't a subtle symbol, once represented, but the connection to the city is. Same as with the Bulls.

Good choice.

Too generic.
    Same as Voodoo.
    Better suited for Florida.
    Too WNBA/generic.
    Maybe.
    Too WNBA/generic.
    Sure.
    Too generic.
    Too generic.
    Too hokey.
    Too generic.
    Too jihadist.
    Too generic.
    I think it is hilarious/tragic that "too WNBA" has become a deterrent. Valid, though. I still kind of like the Fire and the Black Magic (to hell with Orlando). I'll make my push with New Orleans Voodoo and Crescent City Soul then?

Also, for all you NOLA folks, do you hate Hugo the Hornet as much as the team name? Please say no. I hope that the mascot can possibly be retained if the team takes on a name without a specific mascot, just like the Thunder have a Bison and the Nuggets have a tiger. Chances Hugo stays?

To me VooDoo would be the obvious choice since its simple. But they're still currently owned.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHornetsFan View Post
    I think it is hilarious/tragic that "too WNBA" has become a deterrent. Valid, though. I still kind of like the Fire and the Black Magic (to hell with Orlando). I'll make my push with New Orleans Voodoo and Crescent City Soul then?

Also, for all you NOLA folks, do you hate Hugo the Hornet as much as the team name? Please say no. I hope that the mascot can possibly be retained if the team takes on a name without a specific mascot, just like the Thunder have a Bison and the Nuggets have a tiger. Chances Hugo stays?
    I carry big spray with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You can't pick and choose which names that carry explanations to use and which don't just willy nilly. I would've said Bulls was generic...until you bring up the naming origin. And not everyone even knows of the Bull and Bear market. Explanations. Elaborations.

Reapers is the same friggin' thing.

Someone said we need a name that people will instantly get, will think of as cool, and has some subtley to it. A reaper itself isn't a subtle symbol, once represented, but the connection to the city is. Same as with the Bulls.
    Not at all. Explain what 'Reapers' has to do with New Orleans or Louisiana. And I mean a real explanation not something wholly dreamed up.

As far as the guy asking about Hugo -- he should be burned at the stake.

If the team goes by Crescent City Voodoo instead of New Orleans Voodoo, could that bypass the AFL's ownership of the name?

And this hostility toward Hugo will not stand.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    To me VooDoo would be the obvious choice since its simple. But they're still currently owned.
    Said it a bit ago. Voodoo is the perfect name. But it's already taken.

Reposses it.

Which is fitting. Or we could kill the name then hit it with some zombie powder.

Not at all. Explain what 'Reapers' has to do with New Orleans or Louisiana. And I mean a real explanation not something wholly dreamed up.

As far as the guy asking about Hugo -- he should be burned at the stake.
    A city with out of ground graves all over the place, built on top of a grave, and has a "scary" religion that uses occult paraphenalia and you tell me a reaper can't fit right in? It's a tone matching thing.

Thread Information