Pelicans Report

Thread: Becoming a contender

Becoming a contender

Everyone can say, with a certain degree of certainty, that we will probably overhaul the entire roster except for a position or two. We understand that every player on our team and others are, in a sense, 'trying out' for future contracts. That being said, what is our quickest and most efficient way to becoming a contender?

I'd like to trade Eric Gordon (and would for an early 1st rounder). One can't get attached for a guy who doesn't play, nor sign a long-term deal with your city.

BUT since we can't contemplate every trade out there; let's say he stays. Seeing that he is a great SG with PG skills and body; it stands to reason that his 6'3" self isn't a defensive menace for opposing SG's .

It's also true that finding another SOLID young PG before next year is like finding a franchise QB in football. Even when analyzing the Hornets possibilities in the off season it seems as if the Bee's are destined to be weak at the position of PG. Perhaps we would be best fit by drafting a good PG with SG skills and body; to compliment Gordon; thus making the positions more versatile and allowing match-ups to dictate who initiates the offense.

E. Gordon
    Brad Beal
    T. Ariza
    PF
    Andre Drummond

If we could pick up a mid 1st
    T. Wroten
    E. Gordon
    T. Ariza
    John Henson
    Anthony Davis

If we keep Gordon, our PG needs to be a defensive force or our back-court would be weak defensively. Thats why I wouldn't mind trading him. I'l like a nice, tall Sg like the other boy from Washington
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 02-16-2012 at 06:24 PM.

this should be under "what I wanna see next year"
    thx

I agree that the roster will be overhauled but disagree on how we should go about it. First, I think trading Gordon would be a HUGE mistake. EJ is actually a very good defender despite his size. Guards the 1 and 2 well. I think drafting a PG in this years draft is mistake unless it is a late pick. This years pg crop is pretty awful with a couple exceptions. 2 picks in this years draft give us a great opportunity to bolster the frontline for the future. We may end up with 2 "franchise" bigs and EJ to build around. That could be a pretty quick turnaround for the franchise. Tony wroten is not ready to play in the NBA, very talented but extremely raw. I'm interested to see what we do with Jack bc he could help some contenders who lack depth at the 1 and 2 spot.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Good post but it's hard to take it seriously with your JuJu av
    Wherehappens.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    I like your opinion it's similar to mines but mines is this if we trade Eric trade him to the pacers with kaman and try to get Paul George, 1st round pick and rush or (Hopefully but unlikely)Granger or Hibbert. Now say if we don't trade Gordon then we trade jus Kaman to the pacers and try to get a 1st round,or Paul George and even Hibbert and try to get someone with pick but you can also add a third team..(sorry for the bad typing cause I'm in the car and my battery is going dead..sorry)

Rush plays for Golden State.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Sorry I ment Hill..
    Sorry.

EJ is a very good defender, so I'm not sure why the PG has to be a "defensive force"...

Thread Information