Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornets Sign Thomas

Hornets Sign Thomas

The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have signed forward Lance Thomas to a second 10-day contract.

Thomas, a Duke University product, has appeared in seven games for the Hornets this season, averaging 2.0 points and 2.4 rebounds (1.6 offensive) in just under seven minutes per game. Thomas appeared in two regular season games with the Hornets before being released on December 31st, 2011, and in two preseason games with New Orleans (both starts), he averaged 3.5 points and 4.5 rebounds.

The 6’8” forward was originally re-signed by the Hornets to a 10-day contract February 6th from the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League. In 19 games (all starts) for the Toros this season, Thomas averaged 15.2 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 32.6 minutes of play and was selected to the 2012 NBDL All-Star game. The Scotch Plains, New Jersey native also played for the Toros during the 2010-11 season, averaging 12.6 points and 5.5 rebounds in 46 games (all starts).

((This is the release as provided to me, edited for capitalization only.))

You only get 2 10 days per player. If we have to sign him again he's ours to keep for the year. Any of our other bigs expected back within 10 days?

They'll make those calls post-road trip.

Check the recent injury update thread for details on that.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/HRForu...-injury-update

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I know Solomon isn't close on his contract, but whats going on with Sloan? How many days does he have before we must make a decision?

He's here through the road trip and is, for the moment, tied to Jack's health.

Jack falls down stairs, Sloan pushed him.

The Franchise    Contributor   

what's the concensus on Sloan vs Squeaky? Even healthy, seems like we could use a 3rd guard behind JJAck and Vasquez. Neither is going to go Lin on us, but if you have to have a 3rd guard, which would you rather? by the way, Hollinger's piece on what teams could find their own Lin by replacing under-performing players is interesting stuff.
    I'd say Squeaky, but soley because he's a local guy. I figure any 3rd guard getting minutes is pretty much the same. But if you really cared about who was a "better" player, who is better?

Sadly, people tend to judge players based on a limited dataset, often filtered by agenda . . . point to great games if you like them, point to mistakes and bad games if you dislike them . . . or like the backup more. For a point guard it comes down to speed, shooting accuracy, and passing efficiency (to me). Those can be taught in increasing order, while the importance is inverse to that. Squeaky was fast, at least. I've not watch Sloan enough to really judge his speed. At squeaky's age, however, does anyone expect improvement? Note, Ayon is 27 in April.

Godd news for Thomas.

Thread Information