Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hornets sale enters new phase.

Blog Entries
    Dunleavy has basketball knowledge and connections like nobody else that's even been mentioned. Sure he didn't so hot with the Clippers, but let's be real-- nobody does.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    The problem is Dunleavy doesn't have the money to be a majority owner so the team's future in the region hinges on the whim of some venture capitalist whose brother runs some rotgut computer retailer who outsources his tech support to India.

Blog Entries
    The main money would move here. I don't even think it's Dell. Just a possibility.

Anyway, if you move here, you're a local in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    Going to take more than a recent change of zip code for me to be convinced.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I was thinking there was something in place about being the primary owner of both an NBA and NFL franchise....is there anything to that?
    I guess not....I thought Paul Allen was involved in something along these lines, but apparently not....
    Last edited by ramsters60; 01-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    No 'national' group will be fully committed to keeping the team in New Orleans. That's just lip service.
    If the new lease doesn't have any opt out clauses then how would you expect someone to move the team?

The Franchise    Contributor   

I know Bill Simmons used to write a lot about how much he hated Dunlevy as a coach, but don't remember what kind of job he did as GM. was he responsible for putting together the assets that led to them getting CP? seemed like they had a decent build job going before that before Elton Brand left them high and dry too, if that was him? but my knee jerk reaction is that I'd much prefer Dell steering the ship than him.

of course, at this point, any owner is an owner.

The problem is Dunleavy doesn't have the money to be a majority owner so the team's future in the region hinges on the whim of some venture capitalist whose brother runs some rotgut computer retailer who outsources his tech support to India.
    The venture capitalist part is concerning, but if it helps any he went to Tulane.

Dunleavy has basketball knowledge and connections like nobody else that's even been mentioned. Sure he didn't so hot with the Clippers, but let's be real-- nobody does.
    Words of a very, very, veeeery desperate man

The Franchise    Contributor   

does the brother have the $ to do it? certainly Michael Dell does, kind of doubt the brother is in the same league

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I was thinking there was something in place about being the primary owner of both an NBA and NFL franchise....is there anything to that?
    I guess not....I thought Paul Allen was involved in something along these lines, but apparently not....
    NFL rules allow cross-league ownership when both teams are in the same market. The NFL rules don't affect Allen's ownership of the Blazers because Portland is not an NFL market.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Going to take more than a recent change of zip code for me to be convinced.
    If you bought the team, you would be convinced you would relocate them...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    If you bought the team, you would be convinced you would relocate them...
    I think you complimented him...

I'd move the team to Key Largo.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Ugh Dunleavy. I've heard pretty bad things about him and how he runs things.

I'd rather much have Chouest around.

Why is everyone worked up over Dunleavy? If he's plans to sit in the background and not get involved.. while letting his GM/Coach manage the team. What is the problem here?

NFL rules allow cross-league ownership when both teams are in the same market. The NFL rules don't affect Allen's ownership of the Blazers because Portland is not an NFL market.
    I'm probably wrong and remembering this incorrectly, but I thought it was the other way around. I thought you could not own two teams in different leagues in the same market. I thought that that is the reason the Glazers can own the Bucs in the NFL and Manchester United in soccer in England. I'm probably wrong, but I thought I had read that somewhere.

ETA: Nevermind, just read the story about the Rams owner having to divest himself of the Nuggets and Avalanche. If the teams you own are not in a competing NFL city, you can cross own. So, yep, as I said, I was wrong.
    Last edited by triplela; 01-20-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Example: Enos Kroenke had to `sell' his stake in the Nuggets to his kid to get around this NFL rule when he became a majority owner in the Rams, the issues being he owned an NBA team (Nuggets) in the same market (Denver) as another NFL team (Broncos).

The rule would likely prevent the team from moving anywhere even if Benson bought the team. The NFL is in the largest US markets excelt LA, and that may be ending and LA has 2, maybe 3, NBA teams in the area. Not saying he'd want to move them, but it is true nonetheless.

I can't say that I've seen this rule clearly stated, but the folks who discuss it seems to believe that it's ok to own another `major' team in your NFL market. I can see how that would be true, and I can see how it wouldn't. We'll know for sure if he buys the team, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by triplela View Post
    I'm probably wrong and remembering this incorrectly, but I thought it was the other way around. I thought you could not own two teams in different leagues in the same market. I thought that that is the reason the Glazers can own the Bucs in the NFL and Manchester United in soccer in England. I'm probably wrong, but I thought I had read that somewhere.

ETA: Nevermind, just read the story about the Rams owner having to divest himself of the Nuggets and Avalanche. If the teams you own are not in a competing NFL city, you can cross own. So, yep, as I said, I was wrong.
    You're wrong. You can own teams in the same market. You can't own teams in different markets if they already have another team. IE Benson couldn't own a Seattle NBA team because the Seahawks are there.

Anyway...

I don't get the Adam Dell connection. Yes he's rich. Very rich. Rich enough to be able to knockup Padma Lakshmi. But his brother is RICH. 15 billion rich. I don't even know that Adam is a billionaire as he's not on Forbes' Top 400 list.

And what connection does he have to NOLA? None that I can figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    I don't get the Adam Dell connection. Yes he's rich. Very rich. Rich enough to be able to knockup Padma Lakshmi. But his brother is RICH. 15 billion rich. I don't even know that Adam is a billionaire as he's not on Forbes' Top 400 list.

And what connection does he have to NOLA? None that I can figure out.
    He went to Tulane for undergrad.

call me crazy, but I think Benson is the "safest" option. ...and I'm not a Benson fan.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

Ohhhhhhh no you didn't!

Sooooooooooooo far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    He went to Tulane for undergrad.
    I knew one of the Yahoo guys did but didn't know Adam Dell did.

A OWNER?!?!?!

@DatPurpleHornet

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
    A OWNER?!?!?!

Thread Information