Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hornets sale enters new phase.

News Hornets sale enters new phase.

From our 247 guys...

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/...ers-new-phase/

Equally encouraging is the breadth of interest. Bidders from 2010 have re-emerged (most notably, Benson and Chouest) plus there is significant national money that has come forward, committed to keeping the team in New Orleans. While Jamal Mashburn’s name has been previously mentioned, Hornets247 has also learned of another familiar NBA name that is assembling a group. A former NBA player, this individual also has a couple decades of coaching and GM experience, providing an interesting twist to his group.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Wasn't sure if I should post this or not. That's interesting that Tom Benson is in the mix, everyone always seems to scoff at the idea that he would even want to be involved. But I'm just glad we're at least nearing a resolution

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Benson? WOW. always knew chouest would try to get back in the mix. great news.

If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I like Option 3 the best:

3. A National Group with Basketball Connections

At least one person in the mix is very familiar among NBA circles, and his name isn’t spelled “Mashburn.” This person, confirmed to be leading a well capitalized group, has NBA experience and connections like nobody else whose name has even come up as a potential owner.

NBA Connections: The main organizer of this group was a player, head coach, GM, and has served in several other NBA roles throughout his 30 plus year basketball career. While not the primary “money man,” he brings a wealth of knowledge to any ownership group that nobody else in the current mix can even touch.

Commitment to New Orleans: Encouragingly, this group, like all of the others, will keep the team in New Orleans. The main investor has previous family ties to the region and intends to move here permanently. He is also open to adding local investors to his group to round out the picture.

Continuity on the Basketball Side: Despite his track-record as an executive, this potential part-owner would not plan to occupy either the role of coach or GM, leaving the power duo of Monty Williams and Dell Demps in place for the foreseeable future.
    Not Local, At Least Yet. There’s nobody in this group who is currently living here, at least so far.
    Good stuff Joe.

How is this "new" news? This realyy tells us nothing. When can we expect something finalized?
    Bringing it back to the bottom of the map!

Quote Originally Posted by Beezwax View Post
    How is this "new" news? This realyy tells us nothing. When can we expect something finalized?
    :smh:

dude sales do not happen over night. its a very long and complicated process. this is the first time i have ever heard benson's name mentioned. and the second time ive seen mashburn (means he is serious about buying the team). this is called progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezwax View Post

*The Original Get Buzzin* GetBuzzin's Avatar
    Under No. 2 Tom Benson; I must take issue with what is stated in "Customer Service and the Fan Experience". I am not a Hornets season ticket holder for 2 reasons: 1. No Directv broadcast of games and 2. Customer Service and the fan experience. I was a season ticket holder from day one; 99% attendance; until last season. I can justify my distaste for the Hornets (dis)organization, customer service and fan experience. However, I won't; because I would be banned from the site . . . again!!!

Could the person mentioned in option #3 be Brian Davis, the former Duke player? Davis put together a group with Christian Laettner to try and buy the Grizzlies several years ago. I don't know of any NOLA connection with Davis or Laettner.

Long off season Contributor killah's Avatar
    I was thinking the guy was Magic Johnson.

player, head coach, gm

isiah thomas??

Blog Entries
    Haven't seen the right name for number three mentioned yet. He used to hold a couple roles for a team we dealt with not too long ago.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

c'mon joe give us something, lol

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    No 'national' group will be fully committed to keeping the team in New Orleans. That's just lip service.

Jerry West? I'm not sure if he was ever a coach.

Joe Dumars. Well, never mind, Dumars has only been around the pro game for 25ish years. I see people saying Willis Reed but I don't think he has anywhere near the money to even be the 'organizer' of a group. Moreover, unless the person with local ties actually puts forward a majority stake then the team is still in danger of moving if the money is non-local.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 01-20-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Is it Joe Dumars?

EDIT: aah, UP. You read my mind.

"a couple decades of coaching and GM experience", im lost. dont know who has been around that long that would be interested....

Draft Pick
    Joe, I know you will not tell us if it is him,or if he has ties to the local area,but I am going to guess Elgin Baylor.

Played for a long time,Coached the New Orleans Jazz,and was the NBA Executive of the Year for 2006 as the GM for the Clippers

Plus we just dealt with the Clippers as per your hint

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    Haven't seen the right name for number three mentioned yet. He used to hold a couple roles for a team we dealt with not too long ago.
    Since we traded with the Grizzlies recently, I'm thinking Jerry West might be the guy. Surely it couldn't be Hubie Brown.

Elgin Baylor. This has got to be it!

Blog Entries
    Alright, fine!

It's Mike Dunleavy sr.

And as someone points out in the LL, it seems like Adam Dell as the money man makes a lot of sense. No idea if that's true.

I heard Dell's name mentioned, but not in connection with this group.

Oh gawd.

fits the vague description......

Thread Information