Pelicans Report

Thread: Indicators vs Houston

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

Indicators vs Houston

Will the Hornets be ready to play Houston tonight? Here are a few things that I check for to see if the previous nights game has taken a toll,and if a team is ready to play

1-First thing is "live legs" The cutters,and the lift to the glass.Most importantly the "off the ball defenders" if they are alert and display quickness of the feet that means they are ready to play.OFF THE BALL defense is tougher to play since it requires more mental alertness.

2- Defensive rebounding- is the effort there? Soft blockout or solid? Are they finding a man to put a body on? Another Mental toughness area.

These two areas tell me alot.Next step is to meassure the performance quarter to quarter.Do they diminish?.Back to back games for a team that has lost 11 of its last 12 requires leadership and tonight we will learn more about the team than you can imagine.

Think Basketball!!
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

V, I think this was the first game all season where the scoring differential went more in our favor each quarter.

Sadly these were negative for 3 quarters, and OT isn't a quarter.

This is contrary to the average differentials when I checked last week.

Straws, but their our straws! What do we have for sipping?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I was impressed with the amount of cutters Houston had last night. I haven't paid nearly enough attention to them to know if that's the norm or not, but they got us a few times.

Why?

Scoring differential is fun to talk about, but means nothing to me unless it's supplemented by the "whys"
    The Hornets lost a killer game to Houston and certain things happened that hurt them

A- Locating Martin consistently was a problem ( 10 pts first 5 min and 27 at the half.
    B- that poor post feed in OT that led tom the Martin sprint dribble/which led to The "trail dunk" by Delembert (9 off Rebs) Was Jason Smith pushed or did he over run the play? Watch Dalembert forearm.
    C- Middle pick and roll with Jack and Kaman( did Kaman hold the screen long enough?) for that end of game set play.

Right now the team has a small margin for error,and a series of plays changes the entire game.They battled, but there are certain moments in games where mistakes cannot happen.

Such a tough loss a's they displayed so much energy.

I do agree that these bits of data are more meaningful when accompanied by the whys. 100%. To me things like this are clues to tell me, "Hey, stupid, go look for something that looks kinda like this . . ."

I'm just not smart enough to figure out why we showed improvement throughout regulation and were pretty much even with them in OT . . . just not even enough.

Agreed about the runs, series of plays (was eating a late lunch when you were talking about the candlestick-up-our-wuh-oh! football game on The Ticket) . . . again, just not smart enough to see it. That's why I spend time here reading and writing . . . learninglearninglearning.

Thanks, V.

Your point was a good one.

42:your ppint about differentials was a good one a's it is a good indicator for playoff success. Teams with healthy winning margin usually translates into a good playoff performance.
    So if we couple your comments with mine we have a complete picture.

Give yourself credit, you're probably smarter than you give yourself credit for.
    Last edited by gerryv; 01-21-2012 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    42:your ppint about differentials was a good one a's it is a good indicator for playoff success. Teams with healthy winning margin usually translates into a good playoff performance.
    So if we couple your comments with mine we have a complete picture.

Give yourself credit, you're probably smarter than you give yourself credit for.
    Probably? Not certainly?!?! You messing with me?!?!

Because I'm messing with you!

Really though, I agree with you. I've been trying to figure out why. I wrote about this here:

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/...d-fan-support/

Number 3. This was a week ago. Since then, the pattern changed. Why? At first I thought: Ayon. Nah, doesn't hold up. Then I thought: Monty read this, or maybe Dell pointed it out to him, and he adjusted. Nah. Then I thought maybe it's Landry and that whole deal.

I want to know.

I love a good puzzle. Love talking about them, too.

Let's see what happens tonight!

whatever...was trying to help your self esteem...LOL! Enjoy the game

Thread Information