Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh come on!

Question Oh come on!

I've faced the fact that this years team is horrible. I look at the stat sheets. Too many turnovers, poor shooting, poor defense. But...........

Why in the world is Monty not playing Landry. I don't know which game it was, but it seems like his anti-Landry approach started a few games back when he and Kaman combined for something like 3-20 fg's. I know everyone has a bad game here and there, but putting him in the dog house game after game won't help. And his defense can't be as bad as Kaman's. Landry did an admirable job defending one of the best in Pau Gasol for 6 straight games in the first round last year. There is definitely something wrong if Monty is continually giving Marco chance after chance, but he can't do that for Landry. And Thornton last year for that matter.
    When Marco had his shooting slump of historic proportions last year, Monty sent him to the bench. For about 4 games. He still gave him decent minutes. He needs to be giving Landry decent minutes as well. He's our best offensive weapon with Gordon out.

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if Monty is really cut out for a head coaching gig. Yes, we made the play offs last year, but he's throwing instant offense out the window. He ran Thornton out of town. I can see him doing the same with Landry if this doesn't improve. The worst part is we got Landry for Thornton. And no, none of this is tanking. We're not tanking.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I cant help but think there is more to this than meets the eye....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I love Landry, but he hasn't been giving us anything lately. He's been the first guy off the bench still. He's just not giving Monty any reason to keep him in there for an extended period of time. Ayon and Smith have been outplaying him in the past few games, especially Ayon.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I love Landry, but he hasn't been giving us anything lately. He's been the first guy off the bench still. He's just not giving Monty any reason to keep him in there for an extended period of time. Ayon and Smith have been outplaying him in the past few games, especially Ayon.
    There it is. Agreed 100%. Some fans have been crying for Landry but he really hasn't been playing well, neither has Kaman and Okafor for that matter, and they are supposed to be our three "best" bigs.

Well, when you go from a starter, to a 6th man, to 10 minutes a game, what do you expect? I know Landry said that he prefers coming off the bench, but get real! Monty needs to realize that the best way to succeed is to play your best guys. Landry is proven. Ayon is unproven, but is making good progress. Jason Smith is proven......as an 3 or 4th big. Just because Smith and Ayon have outplayed a slumping Landry the past couple games is no reason to give him 10 minutes a game. It's inexcusable. It can be attributed to our losing ways. And what's up with Farouq? Is he in the doghouse now too? Last I heard, he was doing quite well. Then all of a sudden Summers is the starter and Farouq is nowhere to be found. Monty's philosophies are getting a little out of hand.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I have to confess that I have questioned Monty's use of rotations and favorable matchups on several occasions myself....and I will continue to do so until I feel he is getting better at it....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Well, when you go from a starter, to a 6th man, to 10 minutes a game, what do you expect? I know Landry said that he prefers coming off the bench, but get real! Monty needs to realize that the best way to succeed is to play your best guys. Landry is proven. Ayon is unproven, but is making good progress. Jason Smith is proven......as an 3 or 4th big. Just because Smith and Ayon have outplayed a slumping Landry the past couple games is no reason to give him 10 minutes a game. It's inexcusable. It can be attributed to our losing ways. And what's up with Farouq? Is he in the doghouse now too? Last I heard, he was doing quite well. Then all of a sudden Summers is the starter and Farouq is nowhere to be found. Monty's philosophies are getting a little out of hand.
    I agree with Farouq. I don't get why he doesn't get more minutes. He was starting to look a lot better to me.

However, Landry still is the 6th man. The role is perfectly fine for him. He's just in a slump right now and hasn't deserved any additional minutes. We have a lot of depth so we don't have to stick with him if he's playing poorly.

Landry might not be going 100%. Monty even said some players are not giving it their all. Landry might be coasting after getting his fat contract. Monty's probably using him as an example.

I will add this as an example...maybe this is why I am supportive as I am.

Last week when we played the Timberwolves, we couldn't generate offense to save our lives. Monty, to his credit, tried EVERY SINGLE lineup combination in the book and got NOTHING for three quarters. Late 3rd-early 4th, he found a lineup that clicked, including Ayon, Summers, and Belinelli, and he literally rode them for most of the quarter. Despite Kaman, Okafor, Smith, etc. being the big rotation players, they sat. Landry got a lot of burn with that squad, but he only shot 1 of 8 for that game because Darko and Kevin Love owned him on offense.

So when Monty finds players/combinations that click, he rides them. Landry, Kaman, and Okafor's 3rd/4th quarter minutes have all been cut the last few games. It's not just Landry he's picking on, I would argue.

Quote Originally Posted by praff7 View Post
    Landry might not be going 100%. Monty even said some players are not giving it their all. Landry might be coasting after getting his fat contract. Monty's probably using him as an example.
    landry is only on a one yr deal...he should be playing for his next contract at the very least

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    I will add this as an example...maybe this is why I am supportive as I am.

Last week when we played the Timberwolves, we couldn't generate offense to save our lives. Monty, to his credit, tried EVERY SINGLE lineup combination in the book and got NOTHING for three quarters. Late 3rd-early 4th, he found a lineup that clicked, including Ayon, Summers, and Belinelli, and he literally rode them for most of the quarter. Despite Kaman, Okafor, Smith, etc. being the big rotation players, they sat. Landry got a lot of burn with that squad, but he only shot 1 of 8 for that game because Darko and Kevin Love owned him on offense.

So when Monty finds players/combinations that click, he rides them. Landry, Kaman, and Okafor's 3rd/4th quarter minutes have all been cut the last few games. It's not just Landry he's picking on, I would argue.
    I think Williams is too trigger happy at times with his lineups. I've never seen anyone who've change their lineups as much as he has in a span of a month. There's very little stability and it's hard to build any kind of chemistry.

If Landry is struggling to be productive in limited minutes, he should ask Ayon for advice. I thunk Ayon pairs up well with any of our bigs except for Okafor.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Oh wow Landry can't put up 10 in 9 minutes of gameplay... Man forget that. Someone gets in a slump? Lets bench them and hurt their confidence more. Great plan bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    I think Williams is too trigger happy at times with his lineups. I've never seen anyone who've change their lineups as much as he has in a span of a month. There's very little stability and it's hard to build any kind of chemistry.
    You make a good point with the need to develop stability, since with stability the players should become more comfortable in their roles. But I honestly believe that after the first two weeks, when we couldn't play our original starting 5 for a single game and had musical DNPs/injury (Jack, Ayon, Summers, Gordon, Ariza), Monty kinda said F it on the finding stability end.

What's funny about this thread is that former coach Byron Scott was often flamed for his rigid and stubborn rotations. Now Monty is being flamed for inconsistent rotations. Coaches can't win for losing, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    What's funny about this thread is that former coach Byron Scott was often flamed for his rigid and stubborn rotations. Now Monty is being flamed for inconsistent rotations. Coaches can't win for losing, eh?
    When were winning the coach is a genius. When were losing its all his fault and we should fire him. Lol
    People these days...
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    how can you blame him with all of the injures/inconsistencies there are on this team?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    how can you blame him with all of the injures/inconsistencies there are on this team?
    Pay the man. I think we have the most inconsistent set of players in the league.

I was talking with someone the other day about Landry. If he had a consistent 15 foot jump shot, he'd be a lot more effective. But he tries way too often to take the ball right underneath or even behind the basket, gets tangled up, and can't get a shot up. I think he's got heart, but he looks smaller out there than he really is.

@DatPurpleHornet

Monty mentioned before the game that at practice guys were going at each other. And that they were able to identify some of the problems they were having in game. I've also noticed JJ and Kaman going at it the last couple of games, yelling at one another. I think he likes developing the chemistry between these two. Or at the very least he wants to see if Kaman works with JJ and this team before we consider shipping him. That and he knows (mostly) when Vasquez is on the floor he's going to go with Ayon. J Smith has played great defense and he likes Carl off the bench. This formula is squeezing his minutes and yes missing shots doesn't help.

Lottery pick! Lottery pick! Lottery pick!

Gotta keep your eye on the prize. This year will be rough, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Maybe there's an explanation for this. Maybe Monty talked to Abbott as he was writing this article and got some ideas.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...-title-chances

Is it time to start unloading contracts yet?

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Is it time to start unloading contracts yet?
    I think Dwight will hold up the trade market just like CP3 did. I'd be surprised if we were able to move anyone before March.

Thread Information