Pelicans Report

Thread: Landry's playing time??

Landry's playing time??

Im so confused about carl landry's playing time. lol are we trying to lose?? unless we just want to give younger talent playing time, but i still think we shouldn't sacrafice our best scoring option. in fact, when he plays over 30 minutes, he averages 18 ppg this season..
    im confused

me too...but monty doesnt seem to put up crap...and if he isnt playing all out...then there could be your reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH,LAL fan View Post
    Im so confused about carl landry's playing time. lol are we trying to lose?? unless we just want to give younger talent playing time, but i still think we shouldn't sacrafice our best scoring option. in fact, when he plays over 30 minutes, he averages 18 ppg this season..
    im confused
    I'm pretty sure that Landry is carrying a lower back problem from what I have read.

from what I've read, Landry is not playing well. He's struggling to score, and his defense isn't really enough to keep him on the court even when he's struggling, so that is probably your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    from what I've read, Landry is not playing well. He's struggling to score, and his defense isn't really enough to keep him on the court even when he's struggling, so that is probably your answer.
    I see we're your coming from but its a little hard to play well, when your given ten minutes of court time lol

“It’s real easy with my emotions where they are right now, and the last thing I want to do is expose a guy publicly because he’s not playing well,” Williams said. “Carl knows he’s not playing well, and he’s just got to keep working. He’s got to get that fire back.”

Landry is getting the Thornton treatment. Not sure how Monty figures a guy will get out of a slump by only playing 10 minutes. As a bball player, I know you gotta play through your lumps and continue to shoot and it'll come back.

@DatPurpleHornet

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
    Landry is getting the Thornton treatment. Not sure how Monty figures a guy will get out of a slump by only playing 10 minutes. As a bball player, I know you gotta play through your lumps and continue to shoot and it'll come back.
    I agree with every word you said! has he even played tha bad? lol i'm pretty sure he had the highest PER for us before he started getting low playing time. Anyway. just like thornton he deserves better.
    imo Monty was talking bullsh** right there!!

It's most likely something we aren't seeing. Something in the locker room.

Anyway. just like thornton he deserves better.
    imo Monty was talking bullsh** right there!!
    Does he? Look at Landry's minutes and Ayon's minutes, the increases and decreases correspond pretty well. One guy is playing the way Monty wants and the other isn't. But this isn't Willie Green vs. MT5, Ayon is filling up the stat sheet and has a pretty ridiculous PER of over 24. Maybe I want to see Landry on the floor more than Smith, but not more than Ayon.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Simply stated, Ayon is taking his backup minutes away. Landry has already said he perfers coming off the bench. So unless Ayon is moved into the starting role (think he's earned it by now), Landry's minutes will continue to dwindle. I love his energy and passion, but he ain't much of a defender or defensive rebounder.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Man.... I freaking swear... This pisses me off. It's like Monty takes my favorite player and benches him. I don't care what anyone says, Landry and Ayon deserve to split the PF minutes, with Kaman bringing in just a couple. The Smith signing is looking almost silly now with Kaman, Landry and Ayon. You can say "Well we didn't know Ayon would be this good" But thats still Landry/Okafor/Kaman splitting minutes and... Just.... Forget JSmoove. He just needs to get mop up minutes.

You may not like it but you should probably get used to it. Landry would fit the Lakers trade exception pretty well and Kaman also looks to be good trade bait. Assuming those moves bring back picks and prospects, the front court after the trade deadline may well be an Ayon/Okafor/Smith/prospect rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    You may not like it but you should probably get used to it. Landry would fit the Lakers trade exception pretty well and Kaman also looks to be good trade bait. Assuming those moves bring back picks and prospects, the front court after the trade deadline may well be an Ayon/Okafor/Smith/prospect rotation.
    I would be fine with trading Landry and Kaman. They don't have a future here. I would start Ayon for now and bring Landry off the bench. Smith is ok, but I don't see him improving too much.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I kinda feel sorry for Landry, if that's the case. He signed here because he loves the coach and the management here. He's a good player that has alot of emotion and passion on the court. And he's getting sniffed out by Monty. The one (of 3 guys) that wanted to be a part of this franchise voluntarily and we treat him like garbage.

Don't get me wrong; I like Kaman. But the dude has more turnovers than a bakery. Any time he puts the ball on the floor, I cringe. He's jumpshot is fantastic. He wants to battle down low, but cant control the ball.

Don't feel too bad for Landry. He got $8.5 million for his loyalty. So in one year he'll make more than half of what he'd have made in 3 years with Portland's MLE. The 3/$15 will still be there for him next year, it's highly unlikely he'd have ever gotten anything close to that 1/$8.5 3 years from now.

im confused
    Monty has not figured out a way to use his line up, landry has struggled as of late and players like Ayon have been stealing his minutes.

If we want to keep landry PLAY HIM!!!!

Banned
    thinking about dropping landy and adding byron mullens on one of my fantasy teams due to his lack of minutes

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    If we want to keep landry PLAY HIM!!!!
    Who ever said the Hornets want to keep Landry long-term?

The Franchise    Contributor   

It's a long season and Landry and Monty know each other and know what to expect. Give it some time.

if we want to lose, i wouldn't play him because i would be giving yong talent playing time. However, if we want to stay competitive this season, Landry needs more playing time especially now that Eric Gordon is out injured

Monty plays the guys that has earned minutes. He's a fair coach, and if you're not playing to Monty's expectations, then someone else will get your minutes.

Playing PF has more to do than just scoring... you must also rebound and play defense, which Monty puts a premium on. If you can't do either well enough, then that trumps your ability to score.

I've missed the last few games, but it appears that Ayon has been playing well. I say play the youngins and give them some much-needed time on the court, because that's the direction we're headed. We're not going to win the ring now, but this is a great time to give the young guys a chance to get comfortable playing in Monty's system.

Landry called out for lack of effort: The Times-Picayune reports Carl Landry's minutes have declined the last few games because coach Monty Williams is seeing a lack of effort from the forward. Williams hinted that Landry won't see his minutes increase until he starts playing up to his ability. “The way I see it with Carl, a lot of times guys have droughts in the league; the one thing that can’t be affected when you’re playing is your passion and effort,” Williams said. “He’s a skilled guy, but he’s best when he’s just out there running around and starting stuff. That’s what we’re trying to get him to be more like that consistently. Guys go through stretches where they miss shots, and they’re not playing that well on offense, but we’ve always demanded that our guys defend and play hard. If Carl does those things consistently, he’s going to play, regardless of his offense.”

Landry seems committed to turning around his game. “I have to pick it up,” he said. “I know there are things I did last year that they’re not seeing. We have a coaching staff that has years upon years of experience. They know what’s best for the team, and I believe in them and trust in them as a unit. I think they want the best thing for me as well as this ballclub. I’m going to listen to them and do the best I can.

Thread Information