Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The San Francisco 49ers

NFL The San Francisco 49ers

Since there never seems to be too much happening down here, I thought I could start a thread about my beloved 49ers. Despite being a hardcore fan and official board moderator, I'm shocked that the Niners have rebounded so quickly. I thought we were at least 1 year, if not 2, away from returning to the playoffs.

I still think the Super Bowl is a long shot, but after seeing the Niners dismantle the defending AFC Champions, I guess stranger things have happened. Chime in with your thoughts on the Niners.

Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

I think the amazing thing with the Niners is how Alex Smith has finally started to click. I always defended Smith, because he's had so many OCs and so much overturn over his career. But it was getting harder and harder for me to argue that he "just needed the right coach." Until now, that is. Harbaugh has found something in him and turned him into a really good centerpiece for the 49ers. Everyone talks about their defense, but honestly they're a very balanced team, and that offense can move the ball.

As a Saints fan, I was disappointed they beat the Steelers, but I can't deny their talent. If the Saints have to go into Candlestick to beat them, it isn't something I would love (although I do think the Saints can beat them if they get a quick start and force SF to abandon the run).

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I think the amazing thing with the Niners is how Alex Smith has finally started to click. I always defended Smith, because he's had so many OCs and so much overturn over his career. But it was getting harder and harder for me to argue that he "just needed the right coach." Until now, that is. Harbaugh has found something in him and turned him into a really good centerpiece for the 49ers. Everyone talks about their defense, but honestly they're a very balanced team, and that offense can move the ball.

As a Saints fan, I was disappointed they beat the Steelers, but I can't deny their talent. If the Saints have to go into Candlestick to beat them, it isn't something I would love (although I do think the Saints can beat them if they get a quick start and force SF to abandon the run).
    Harbs knows how to form an offensive gameplan. Neither Mike No-win or Singletary understood offensive strategy. The 49ers seem to understand the strengths of their weapons and are maximizing them rather than running Frank Gore into the ground week after week.

Of course, the D is amazing. While the spolight this week was on Big Ben's ankle, there was very little coverage given to the fact that the 49ers were without their sackmaster and best player, Patrick Willis. Aldon Smith and Justin Smith really stepped up to put the heat on Big Ben.

I actually think the 49ers match up better against Green Bay than New Orleans. The 49ers' front 7 can put the heat on Rodgers and the Gore/Hunter/Dixon combo can keep the Packers O off the field. That would be a very close game. New Orleans, however, has so many offensive weapons (and they are hot at the right time) that they could turn the game into a shootout. That doesn't favor the Niners, especially if they can't lock down the #2 seed. If we have to face the Saints in the Superdome, I'm afraid our season is over.

I still don't trust Smith. Winning 3 in a row is easier than winning 2 in a row, for sure. The Saints is the team that, I think, may be most likely to take them out if they end up paired. I think they'd have an easier time with the Packers, actually, but I don't see that happening sooner.

I'm not sure if the Saints can beat the 49ers on the road. That's why watching the 49ers win at Seattle yesterday was heart-breaking. Don't know if they will lose at the Rams next week. If the Saints win tomorrow night, they may think about resting the guys next week. I remember last season Graham, Jenkins, and Ivory all got injured in the season finale against Tampa. I don't expect the Niners to lose to the Rams.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I'm not sure if the Saints can beat the 49ers on the road. That's why watching the 49ers win at Seattle yesterday was heart-breaking. Don't know if they will lose at the Rams next week. If the Saints win tomorrow night, they may think about resting the guys next week. I remember last season Graham, Jenkins, and Ivory all got injured in the season finale against Tampa. I don't expect the Niners to lose to the Rams.
    We'll need to beat the Rams, so I expect Harbs to play all available starters. Not only do we have a much better chance against the Saints in SF (although even that might not be enough), we need the extra week to deal with a plethora of injuries.

I know one thing, the 49ers will HAVE to do better in the red zone against the Saints. a TD and 3 FGs isn't going to be enough to top Brees and his cornucopia of targets.

With the Hornets struggling, it certainly feels good for the Niners to get their first playoff win since 2002. I was really worried before the game and when it was 32-29 with 40 seconds left, I thought it was over. The offense grew up tonight.

That was a CRUSHING end to our season. I'm still not over it, and I doubt I ever will be. Moderating the Niners' MB was certainly no party after that.

You'll get over it with a Super Bowl win. That's how Saints fans got over that blowout in Chicago in 2006. Up until 2009, that was still stinging really badly.

You've got a good team, and it was a hell of a year. The NFC West isn't getting any harder, and the Niners will be back at it again this year. But I'm being honest, I can't wait for the Niners to come to the Superdome this year, and I want the Saints to get some revenge.

I'm a huge Niners fan since I was young but my Saints are my true love. I was really hurt from the lost because I knew we were the best team. Even the Superbowl champs said they knew that and was happy to face the Niners. But I believe were destined to e the first team to host a Superbowl and win because no one can beat us at home. So NO main focus should get the number 1 seed at home !!!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

We added Randy Moss to bolster the passing game. Our biggest deep threats have both been TEs, so it will be nice to have a long ball WR. Plus, it's a one-year contract; we can cut our losses if he decides to start acting like a baby.

Sheesh! We'll open 2012 in place were we haven't won in over 2 decades: Lambeau. Gee, that's encouraging.

What an improbable way to start the season: beating down the Pack in their own house--22 years since that last happened. It's Super Bowl or bust this year.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    You guys have my favorite player of all-time on your squad in Randy Moss. But the questions is Alexa Smith, because the rushing game is there but Smith was making some bad throws today. Of course he did more good then bad so it will over run the bad, no-one shall never for get the bad no matter how much good.

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    You guys have my favorite player of all-time on your squad in Randy Moss. But the questions is Alexa Smith, because the rushing game is there but Smith was making some bad throws today. Of course he did more good then bad so it will over run the bad, no-one shall never for get the bad no matter how much good.
    Smith's play isn't the issue, it's his health. The 49ers are a defensive team, so Smith doesn't need to put up monster numbers. He just needs to be careful with the ball and be his usual efficient self. However, we have nothing but inexperience behind him and his reconstructed shoulder.

3-1 after spanking the Jets. The O still isn't clicking like they should, but it's still early. The D is NASTY. I love the intensity.

In the last 2 games, the 49ers have outscored their opponents 79-3. I like numbers like that; they remind me of the glory days.

Also, words cannot express how much I want to humiliate and brutalize the Giants this Sunday.

It seems like we can beat everyone but the Giants.

The San Francisco 49ers

And the Vikings.

And the Vikings.
    I think we could take the Vikes in a rematch. I think we could take anyone in the NFC, including the ATL filthy turds, but we now have a mental stumbling block in the NYG.

Also, I don't care if Smith struggles every once in awhile (it's inevitable), Harbs better NEVER try that QB rotation strategy again. It was a bigger disaster than Topher Grace as Venom.

He's been doing that rotation for the last few games, and I don't think it's working well for either quarterback.

Harbaugh knows he can only go so far with Smith. I think he's trying to get the young guy more reps because Smith won't be able to win a Super Bowl.

Harbaugh knows he can only go so far with Smith. I think he's trying to get the young guy more reps because Smith won't be able to win a Super Bowl.
    Enough mediocre-to-bad QBs have Super Bowl rings to prove that an Elway type is helpful, but not necessary. Smith wasn't the reason the Niners missed the SB last year, it was special teams. The Niners have the talent to win a Super Bowl, but Harbs is going to have to admit to himself (regardless of the WR additions) that this is still a run-first offense.

The San Francisco 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    Enough mediocre-to-bad QBs have Super Bowl rings to prove that an Elway type is helpful, but not necessary. Smith wasn't the reason the Niners missed the SB last year, it was special teams. The Niners have the talent to win a Super Bowl, but Harbs is going to have to admit to himself (regardless of the WR additions) that this is still a run-first offense.
    Smith was terrible in the NFC title game. 1-13 on 3rd downs. And recent Super Bowl winners have been stud QBs. The days of game managers winning Super Bowls are over. Harbaugh knows it.

Smith was terrible in the NFC title game. 1-13 on 3rd downs. And recent Super Bowl winners have been stud QBs. The days of game managers winning Super Bowls are over. Harbaugh knows it.
    I couldn't disagree more with that statement. The last 2 Giants vs Pats SBs have proved the exact opposite. The team with the record-breaking QB lost to the defensive team with the just better-than-average QB.

And Smith's shortcomings, which are obvious, would have still landed him in the SB if a) a backup returner hadn't muffed 2 punts or b) Harbaugh would have had the awareness to get Williams out of the game. Remember, just one week beforehand, the 49ers beat a former SB team with a future HOF QB. What ultimately decided the 49ers' fate in the NFC title game was inexperience both on the field and on the sidelines.

While I wouldn't have a problem with the 49ers upgrading QB (or any position), I still think the position is vastly overhyped. QB might be the most important position, but it's still a dependent one and one that can't directly effect 2 other phases of the game: defense and special teams. If Trenterception Dilfer and Rex Grossman can take teams to the Super Bowl, then obviously a great QB isn't needed for the big dance.

Thread Information