Pelicans Report

Thread: Anyone else miss seeing this at MSY?

Anyone else miss seeing this at MSY?

Anyone else miss seeing the statue of Icarus at the New Orleans airport, hanging from the roof of the old terminal building?

(the big bronze gothic status with wings)

I noticed about a year ago that he was gone, so I asked the woman at the information booth... and she said "his head done fell off"

Anyone know if he's being preserved somewhere and if there's a chance he might come back?

Couldn't tell you, and there doesn't seem to be anything on the local news sites. I thought Gambit might have something, maybe in the Blake Pontchartrain section, but nope.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iedmunds
    Anyone else miss seeing the statue of Icarus at the New Orleans airport, hanging from the roof of the old terminal building?

(the big bronze gothic status with wings)

I noticed about a year ago that he was gone, so I asked the woman at the information booth... and she said "his head done fell off"

Anyone know if he's being preserved somewhere and if there's a chance he might come back?
    I miss it ... I thought it was a great piece. But I didn't know it was Icarus, I thought it was based on a series of gothic etchings. I can't remember the artist but that piece looked exactly like the etchings.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Good news: He'll be replaced with Mr. Bingle.

found a picture...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    That's scary!

Font of Sports Knowledge B-Rich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    I miss it ... I thought it was a great piece. But I didn't know it was Icarus, I thought it was based on a series of gothic etchings. I can't remember the artist but that piece looked exactly like the etchings.
    Leonardo Da Vinci. I'm pretty sure the piece at MSY was based on his drawings of a human-powered flying machine based on the principle of a bat wings, rather than an interpretation of Icarus:

(above right is actual mock-up built for a museum)

According to Greek Mythology, Icarus and his father had wings made of wax and feathers, more inspired by a bird.

Thread Information