Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornets Beat: Trading Chris Paul

Blog Entries

Hornets Beat: Trading Chris Paul

In this edition of Hornets Beat we tackle Chris Paul (no, not literally) and the potential for a trade. It's not a topic any of us want to discuss particularly, but it appears that Paul and his agent do, so that's that.

Joining us today are a number of internationally renowned basketball writers. Matt Moore, most notably from CBS Sports, the ESPN TrueHoop Network and Hardwood Paroxysm, doesn't think we're in for happy days ahead on the CP3 front. Zach Harper, the legendary host of ESPN's Daily Dime Live and HoopSpeak, as well just about every other basketball site on the web, tells us that he wishes Paul would stay in Nola. Lastly, Jake Madison from Swarm and Sting gives his two cents.
    1.) Does the new CBA make it easier for the Hornets to keep CP3?

Matt Moore- Yes, because of the extra year on the re-sign, but no, because the best option for him is to opt-out regardless in order to re-sign. And if he’s going to opt out, how do you not hedge your bets in terms of building around him?

Zach Harper- Technically, yes. They can offer far more money and the extra guaranteed year for someone with Chris Paul’s presumed injury concerns is huge. With limits on sign-and-trades and what other teams can actually spend on him, it’s set up to convince Chris Paul monetarily to stay in New Orleans. But it’s rarely that simple.

Joe Gerrity- Yeah, in a way. The problem is, they needed small market teams to dominate and they only barely came out ahead. This is the equivalent of needing to win a game by 20 to make the playoffs, but only winning by 3.

Jake Madison- We’re about to find out. The CBA limited the amount of money that Paul can get elsewhere, but Paul seems determined to test the limits of the CBA. The loophole of being traded to the Knicks without signing an extension can get him both the team he wants and his money.

Michael McNamara- They can offer him more money, but CP3 wants a ring so the extra year and $27 million is not going to keep him from going elsewhere if he doesn’t think he can win a title in New Orleans.

2.) Does Chris Paul even want to stay?

Read the Rest @ Hornets247.com
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

If we lose CP3, the Hornets will become the Milwaukee Bucks, but without any championships.

It might take years and a Drew Brees-type free agent signing miracle for the Hornets to recover. By then nobody will be "In" and the new owner, Larry Ellison will announce he is moving the team to Fresno.

I also don't see how sending him to OKC or LAC makes any sense regardless who we get. How does making OKC/LAC a contender help us sell tickets?

This is going to be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    If we lose CP3, the Hornets will become the Milwaukee Bucks, but without any championships.

It might take years and a Drew Brees-type free agent signing miracle for the Hornets to recover. By then nobody will be "In" and the new owner, Larry Ellison will announce he is moving the team to Fresno.

I also don't see how sending him to OKC or LAC makes any sense regardless who we get. How does making OKC/LAC a contender help us sell tickets?

However, in our situation, we are unable to simply exclude half the league because we do not want to make a team in our conference better. We do not have that luxury.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    However, in our situation, we are unable to simply exclude half the league because we do not want to make a team in our conference better. We do not have that luxury.
    It's a tricky situation. We don't have that luxury but it would be nice if we did, however so is the life of a feeder NBA team. We have a star who wants to leave and we have to do everything under the sun to make sure we don't get completely and totally screwed ... wasn't the new CBA going to fix that?

If it made any difference at all, and it most certainly doesn't, I would want to trade him to the East for all the logical reasons. Logic plays zero part in this, it's all about addressing the whims of super stars in a league run by them.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet View Post
    It's a tricky situation. We don't have that luxury but it would be nice if we did, however so is the life of a feeder NBA team. We have a star who wants to leave and we have to do everything under the sun to make sure we don't get completely and totally screwed ... wasn't the new CBA going to fix that?

If it made any difference at all, and it most certainly doesn't, I would want to trade him to the East for all the logical reasons. Logic plays zero part in this, it's all about addressing the whims of super stars in a league run by them.
    It would be nice to send him to the East. However, if the best offer came from the West (i.e. Clippers or Warriors), I think we have to bite. Now if the best offer were in our division, we would be up a creek.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    In this edition of Hornets Beat we tackle Chris Paul (no, not literally) and the potential for a trade. It's not a topic any of us want to discuss particularly, but it appears that Paul and his agent do, so that's that.

Joining us today are a number of internationally renowned basketball writers. Matt Moore, most notably from CBS Sports, the ESPN TrueHoop Network and Hardwood Paroxysm, doesn't think we're in for happy days ahead on the CP3 front. Zach Harper, the legendary host of ESPN's Daily Dime Live and HoopSpeak, as well just about every other basketball site on the web, tells us that he wishes Paul would stay in Nola. Lastly, Jake Madison from Swarm and Sting gives his two cents.
    1.) Does the new CBA make it easier for the Hornets to keep CP3?

Matt Moore- Yes, because of the extra year on the re-sign, but no, because the best option for him is to opt-out regardless in order to re-sign. And if he’s going to opt out, how do you not hedge your bets in terms of building around him?

Zach Harper- Technically, yes. They can offer far more money and the extra guaranteed year for someone with Chris Paul’s presumed injury concerns is huge. With limits on sign-and-trades and what other teams can actually spend on him, it’s set up to convince Chris Paul monetarily to stay in New Orleans. But it’s rarely that simple.

Joe Gerrity- Yeah, in a way. The problem is, they needed small market teams to dominate and they only barely came out ahead. This is the equivalent of needing to win a game by 20 to make the playoffs, but only winning by 3.

Jake Madison- We’re about to find out. The CBA limited the amount of money that Paul can get elsewhere, but Paul seems determined to test the limits of the CBA. The loophole of being traded to the Knicks without signing an extension can get him both the team he wants and his money.

Michael McNamara- They can offer him more money, but CP3 wants a ring so the extra year and $27 million is not going to keep him from going elsewhere if he doesn’t think he can win a title in New Orleans.

2.) Does Chris Paul even want to stay?

Read the Rest @ Hornets247.com
    Hey Joe, I happened to catch you today on the Doug Gottlieb Show on ESPN Radio. Great job, man!
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

The Franchise

No CBA in any league can make a person/player stay where he doesn't want to be. There was the false premise that somehow things of this sort would be put to a halt by the owners. Impossible. It can't be. Players will always have choices and if they want to play somewhere other than where they are, no one can ever stop that. That's just life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RENFO View Post
    Hey Joe, I happened to catch you today on the Doug Gottlieb Show on ESPN Radio. Great job, man!
    Thanks a lot. Been trying to take every opportunity that comes to get more experience. If possible, I'd like to be good at what I do one day.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    No CBA in any league can make a person/player stay where he doesn't want to be. There was the false premise that somehow things of this sort would be put to a halt by the owners. Impossible. It can't be. Players will always have choices and if they want to play somewhere other than where they are, no one can ever stop that. That's just life.

Amen, brother.

This happens in all sports, but only in the NBA is the system broken.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

You're giving in to the despair.

Winning sells tickets. And to win, you make OUR team better. The best way to make our team better is to get high draft picks, which is where trading with the Clippers makes the most sense. Turn a pick into Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes, or Andre Drummond, and it's a step in the right direction. Especially if we have Eric Gordon to help the process along.

Ever heard of the franchise tag?

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar

Be careful, I've already been called stupid for having a similar outlook. It's a tough situation to be in. I'm definitely worried about long term support if this franchise continues to be so dysfunctional. I'll wait until the announcement of a new owner before I really lose faith though.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Zach Harper - I essentially call his bluff. If you get to the off-season and he still isn’t convinced to stay in New Orleans, you at least retain his sign-and-trade rights and can possibly still get some value for him. It’s a scary thought of him walking for nothing (if he decides it’s not about the money), but it’s not like whatever you acquire for him is going to help this team from dropping to the cellar of the league.

I agree, unless Paul flat out tells Demps he wants out. I'm actually pretty excited to see what Demps does with the team after the 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    It would be nice to send him to the East. However, if the best offer came from the West (i.e. Clippers or Warriors), I think we have to bite. Now if the best offer were in our division, we would be up a creek.
    I just find it odd that are options are: do nothing, keep CP3 and finish in relatively the same position as last year (maybe) and watch him leave for elsewhere (maybe); trade CP3 to a Western team and fall to the cellar like a rock and watch CP3 compete for a title; trade CP3 to the Warriors, get somebody people around here might have heard of (Stephen Curry) and let the Warriors deal with the circus.

Is this why I am "In" this year? My first season as a partial season ticket holder, my record at the Arena wa s 0-12 or 15. Yes, that's is zero wins and all defeats - it's easy to forget how many. I hope this season isn't easy to forget also.

Heck, trade him to the Nets straight up for Williams (even if he doesn't sign an extension). Try to get a deal with him this summer. If it becomes apparent CP3 wants out (I don't know what he wants), then the atmosphere at the Arena will not be pleasant - and that's sad after the Front Office efforts to get everyone "In".

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    Be careful, I've already been called stupid for having a similar outlook. It's a tough situation to be in. I'm definitely worried about long term support if this franchise continues to be so dysfunctional. I'll wait until the announcement of a new owner before I really lose faith though.
    Haven't lost faith, just frustrated and I am just an average fan....I don't follow the league, just the Hornets and I know we have a Super Star. That's why I go to games - to see MY Super Star, not somebody elses.

Haven't lost faith, just frustrated and I am just an average fan....I don't follow the league, just the Hornets and I know we have a Super Star. That's why I go to games - to see MY Super Star, not somebody elses.
    The NBA is willing to bet you will go to the arena to see other super stars when yours leaves.

The NBA is willing to bet you will go to the arena to see other super stars when yours leaves.
    Not many teams left with superstars on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate View Post
    Not many teams left with superstars on them.
    That's right...8 Super Teams and the rest are feeder teams.

I don't follow other teams or players...I follow the Hornets. Once the Hornets season is through, I follow NASCAR.

Most casual fans do. They really just watch the superstars which is why the league and the TV networks market stars instead of teams.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Most casual fans do. They really just watch the superstars which is why the league and the TV networks market stars instead of teams.

Agreed, it's also why the NBA is a passing fancy after March Madness. When your entire fan base (casual and hard core) agree that there are too many NBA games, too many teams, and that at some level the system is broken then that league has issues. I've seen more articles suggest that the NBA go to a permanent Christmas Day start than I have in a long time. People simply don't care and its for the reasons you listed.

I know I'm once again in the minority here but I just don't feel the CBA adequately solved the problems the league is facing. Ratings are high for the NBA after March Madness, before that the NHL is making a serious run at them ... and honestly that is sad. The NBA, with or without the a favorable CBA for us, is a good league but it's not important anymore. Maybe that's a bad way to word it but I honestly can't find the words to describe a pro league in which the players demanded no parity.

Agreed, it's also why the NBA is a passing fancy after March Madness. When your entire fan base (casual and hard core) agree that there are too many NBA games, too many teams, and that at some level the system is broken then that league has issues. I've seen more articles suggest that the NBA go to a permanent Christmas Day start than I have in a long time. People simply don't care and its for the reasons you listed.

I know I'm once again in the minority here but I just don't feel the CBA adequately solved the problems the league is facing. Ratings are high for the NBA after March Madness, before that the NHL is making a serious run at them ... and honestly that is sad. The NBA, with or without the a favorable CBA for us, is a good league but it's not important anymore. Maybe that's a bad way to word it but I honestly can't find the words to describe a pro league in which the players demanded no parity.
    Players in any sport really don't want parity because it means less salaries in general. We see it in baseball where there is even less parity compared to the NBA in the regular season. No salary cap or restriction leads to ridiculous Joe Mauer contracts. That's why MLB market the Yanks, Red Sox, Phillies, etc. Most casual fans believe that the NFL players are routinely getting screwed especially when being compared to NBA and MLB players. Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA were criticized for years for allowing a hard cap, franchise tag, and non-guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Basically you have the exact opposite in the MLB which is why the union is considered very powerful. The owners caved and won't fight it anymore. The NBA falls somewhere in the middle. You have a soft cap with a luxury tax and restricted contracts in length and amount. Honestly, the players really won in this lockout because you don't have a hard cap or non-guaranteed contracts. Revenue sharing will only occur from teams paying the luxury tax.

Thread Information