Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornets very interested in jamal crawford

I dont like Jamal Crawford, I've always viewed him as a volume scorer and thats why he scored so much. I'd rather have Jason Richardson personally

Jamal Crawford is one of those players who can be extremely overrated by a fanbase. Atlanta fans overrated the mess out of this dude. He is a low bbiq, no defense chucker. But he can score with the best and he can dribble.

I think we would be a great 6th man but either way, I would rather price 6 to 7 mil per for Young from DC.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If we're gonna add a chucker, may as well add one I like, and is also about 4 years younger in Nick Young.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind Crawford. He's a good wing scorer and CAN be a good wing defender when he wants to be.

Makes no sense here if we are going to rebuild. He is overrated and getting old.

Crawford and Young are both similar. High volume scorers, poor defenders. Both worth around 5-6 million per year. i would prefer JR over both because he is more talented, especially defensively. More explosive too. He's improved every season and was especially strong last year after the Melo trade. He did struggle in the OKC series, but I would rather look at the larger sample.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I wouldn't mind Crawford. He's a good wing scorer and CAN be a good wing defender when he wants to be.
    Nope, he's a terrible defender. He lucky Smith is there to clear his mistakes at times.

nahh. iDisagree that young is a poor defender, but JR has higher upside so i would take either
    Last edited by speedyG; 12-03-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nbasuperstar40 View Post
    Nope, he's a terrible defender. He lucky Smith is there to clear his mistakes at times.
    Lol way to many people throw the word "terrible defender" around. Kind of like how suddenly every player who is a little good is elite.

Crawford isn't a good defender, he isn't going to shut down anyone, but he's far from terrible. Especially when he is motivated.

Now rebounding? He's a terrible rebounder.

Lol way to many people throw the word "terrible defender" around. Kind of like how suddenly every player who is a little good is elite.

Crawford isn't a good defender, he isn't going to shut down anyone, but he's far from terrible. Especially when he is motivated.

There were times he played adequate defense but there were also times when Tywon Lawson dunked. Just saying.

He is a very lazy defender. He does not put forth the effort to be a decent defender. He is almost 32 years old and not getting any better. No thanks.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    And Young is a better than decent one on one defender. He might not be intelligent enough to grasp team D concepts, but tell him to guard the man with the ball and he'll do it competently. I don't really consider Earl as a choice though cuz he has real knucklehead tendencies...don't know if Monty'll tolerate that. I don't know nearly as much about that side of things regarding Young, so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt in terms of personal conduct and willingness to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    And Young is a better than decent one on one defender. He might not be intelligent enough to grasp team D concepts, but tell him to guard the man with the ball and he'll do it competently. I don't really consider Earl as a choice though cuz he has real knucklehead tendencies...don't know if Monty'll tolerate that. I don't know nearly as much about that side of things regarding Young, so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt in terms of personal conduct and willingness to learn.
    Young is likely to be very expensive given that he is restricted. I do not see him being a realistic option.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Yeah, well Belinelli was absolutely horrid on defense prior to getting here, but he improved for sure. Still wasn't all that great, but he could get the job done on most nights (Artest was a horrible match up for him, way too strong)

It's a team defense system. If Crawford can adjust to our system, then things will take care of itself. Paul, Ariza, and Okafor can cover for the mistakes of others. If we retain West, then West isn't a bad defender at all. He was quite good last year.

Also, JR is in China and he's a headcase. Crawford is a great guy, and I'm sure would get along with Monty.

We don't do this signing if Paul is 100% gone, but if we can change his mind, then we go for it. He's the best option for us out there in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe that such a defensive-minded coach in Monty would be that interested in Crawford.

Like Eman, I rather Young. He's younger, and has more potential and physical ability to play effective defense.

i would take nick young or j rich over crawford for sure... if we are changing things up i would like to stray away from our typical small 2 guards and start fresh with some SIZE.

There aren't any "slam dunks" free agents at the 2... there are no good scorers/great defenders available. We didn't necessarily have a lockdown defender at the 2 last year, and our problem from the 2 last season was lack of scoring.

Crawford is a proven scorer that's not that bad of a defender. I mean he won't shut down Kobe, but he's a better defender than Marco is.

J-Rich ain't much of a defender nether, and neither is Nick Young, but I'd take any of those 3 because we need a scorer from the 2. That's been our problem.

surprised at how many people want Nick Young, he's basically a poor man's jamal crawford.
    the fact is neither are very elite sgs-Jamal at best is a 6th man type of player.

Give me Jamal with cp3 -otherwise neither. We're rebuilding anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcazbarach View Post
    surprised at how many people want Nick Young, he's basically a poor man's jamal crawford.
    the fact is neither are very elite sgs-Jamal at best is a 6th man type of player.

Give me Jamal with cp3 -otherwise neither. We're rebuilding anyways.
    This. Jamal only makes sense if we are keeping CP. If we trade him and then sign Jamal, I'm going to be ******.

Thread Information