Pelicans Report

Thread: Dunk That Sh!t: Crescent City Champion

Dunk That Sh!t: Crescent City Champion

42 - Hornets247.com

Make It Rain (Hornets Report): 42, do you have any ideas who another potential sponsor could be?

42: This is a very timely question, given the recent success the Hornets have had with sponsors. The success is even more substantial given the state of the economy, the current climate in the NBA, and the focus on New Orleans, Louisiana, and the Gulf Coast in terms of support of this kind.

Since the Hornets arrived in New Orleans . . . twice . . . and even with the Jazz before them, the business community's supports has been below what it should. There are many causes and effects of this, but getting the sponsors on board and providing them with value makes all of them things of the past.

Sponsors provide massive sums of money directly to teams in exchange for the opportunity to get the fans to throw their money at them instead of their competitors. When it works to a satisfactory degree, the relationship is stable or grows. So, despite the fact that the sponsors get more press lately than the 2,500+ full season tickets that have been added, we are truly the wind beneath the Hornets' wings.

This money, all ultimately coming from the fans, is then used to improve the team, improve the business, and keep the ownership happy. Less frequently, it is use to attract an owner . . .

There are lots of ways to answer the question posed, and I'll be addressing some of them. I expect the community to have answers, as well.

Read the complete article @ Hornets247.com

Rookie
    I think Freeport McMoran even though the Headquarters is in Phoenix, AZ would be a great sponsor. They have always given back to New Orleans, and the State of Louisiana. I also think Southwest Airlines being the largest airline carrier in New Orleans would be a great sponser. Southwest has been very good to New Orleans especially coming back as quick as they did after Katrina. I think your idea about Shaw would be a fantastic bang for the buck for them. In my opion outside of Louisiana not many people really know much about the company or what they do. This may be a dumb question 42 but has Shaw ever really supported the Saints, the Hornets, or the City of New Orleans? I hope I am wrong but I have not really heard or seen much about them when it comes to these three. I do believe it would be a homerun for Shaw, the Hornets, the City, and the State if they got involved.

I haven't seen such support.

They have a big office in downtown Charlotte . . . I'll see if they are supporting the Bobcats or Panthers . . . that would be treasonous in my little brain.

I think everything you said is spot on . . . mind if I steal it . . . I mean . . . quote you?

Rookie
    Yes you can quote me and keep up the good work.

Thread Information