Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have to say it :(

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 42
    Wow?

I think the statement in bold is fact, as it's referring to the quantity of `stuff' to read.

Your assessment of the quality is completely up to you and is not being referred to; I'm only talking about the quantity, which is an objective fact. I'm absolutely positive that less than 100% of readers here or at Hornets247 like these stories. Same with the `alliance'.
    I find it presumptious to make any statement of the sort you made when we have 10 years of history here and you are a newcomer, but whatever works for you works for me. If you like it, I love it!

Time for some football!!!

Ruh Roh.

Gotcha.

I find it.

It was not meant in any sort or way other than the counting one... Speaking about all things Hornets to read... Both worth the time to read and not... That's my perspective, given what I do, which is most often just compile short lists of stuff worth reading from other websites.

The fact that what I wrote can be a taken as, I'm assuming, some sort of "count your lucky stars" way is a weakness in my phrasing. It wasn't meant that convey that anything else.

Maybe the added stuff we do stamps out people's spark, for instance, and we are actually killing comments here. I'm open that idea. I'm fine not be read, liked, welcome, etc. I just don't want to be misunderstood.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Anything you have to add from an improvement to "Romans, go home" is more than welcome, not that my leave is needed; just trying to be clear.

Why not just post all the hornets 24/7 articles in a separate part of the forum or just blend it with the HR.com articles sections. Aren't these basically the same things as being posted in there, that way can you keep both separate and part of the site, but still appease the people being bothered by the numerous threads about 24/7 articles popping up.

I like both sites, but I agree that the article links might be better posted in a seperate part of the forum (and as one already exists on the site, I don't think it's such a weird idea to post them there)
    Last edited by Sengir; 08-11-2011 at 05:37 AM.

I think the 24/7 articles will blend in fine once the season starts up.

I haven't been reading them recently because I don't think there's been any real news, but during the season everyone's always looking for Hornets articles and this board will easily be able to handle a 247 article per day.

Sengir, I think your does apprase those folks who's rather not see that thread. It fails to appease those those who want them in the Nest, which I think was the idea of the alliance between the sites Joe initiated and we worked out (alliance is my word).

I'd like to know more about how the existence of a thread bothers some.

What if it didn't have a 247 tag?

Through multiple conversations on many topics with some of the principles in these sites, I've been led to believe that an 'us' and 'them' mentality is not something we want to encourage. To me the tag is an advertisement and is divisive, but these stories are to have tags so I put them in. It was created to be used. Posting in another forum section has the same divisive feel. Besides, the news fits the theme if this section, and not others.

I would think it would be easier to comment on 3 articles plus someone's comments on them than 1 article alone. Any article worthy if its own thread gets that, and I bring in a compact way to get some extra, lower-level stuff.

I said it before and NOhornets touched on it as well: I do one day from 247 and post the 1-2 per week the other 3 guys crank out. Someone handing you something to read that has a 50-50 chance you may like 1 article in it, with no requirement to read it, and doesn't inhibit the abilty to locate other material should be a good thing. If they look like they are taking over, it may be because all the other thread starters that everyone else provides on is slightly more; it stands out not becuase 247 is loud, but because everyone else is quiet.

It's hard to find stuff to talk about about this team. Silverfoxx posted three threads yesterday that got moved because they were off-topic. I didn't move them; someone else did. I am seemingly not good at it either, but I'm ok at producing articles and summaries.

I wish I was drowned out by the activity here on this site. Frankly, I'm thankful for this thread and this conversation.

The question I'd be asking is, would the same thing be happening if there WAS actual news coming out, or would there be more articles, podcasts, etc coming out?

I don't mind this stuff coming out right now, since there isn't actually much news, but when things pick up again, I'm hoping this type of posts would reduce to allow the better stuff more room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Without the lockout, there would be a lot more activity from the general membership. Unfortunately, there just isn't much to talk about right now. There are really only a handful of issues right now:

1) What's the status of the lockout? unfortunately there is nothing other than reports that the sides are far apart.

2) What players are going overseas? Just doesn't seem that too many are really interested in this

3) What's up with Chris Paul? He's really the only player people seem to care about on the Hornets and he may or may not go overseas and he may or may not opt out at the end of next season whenever that happens.

The lockout pretty much killed any Hornets related news and limited NBA news in general to a slow trickle. It's a delicate balance with posting threads between HR.com and H247 people. We want to encourage discussion, not dictate what to discuss.

The threads posted are there for your perusal. If there's something specific anyone wants to discuss about the Hornets or NBA there is nothing preventing that. The perception I get is that most fans have lost interest in the NBA for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food
    The question I'd be asking is, would the same thing be happening if there WAS actual news coming out, or would there be more articles, podcasts, etc coming out?

I don't mind this stuff coming out right now, since there isn't actually much news, but when things pick up again, I'm hoping this type of posts would reduce to allow the better stuff more room.
    About 1 a day is just that. What you see in the Nest is 10+ days of activity (check the thread dates) where it's normally 3 days or so I think. I certainly won't be generating more than 1 summary a day . . . such is the point of the summary.

So it will be as you say, but it's not a matter of leaving room; it's a matter of new content flowing at a rate push off the article from 7/29 so you don't see it on page 1.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    I find it presumptious to make any statement of the sort you made when we have 10 years of history here and you are a newcomer, but whatever works for you works for me. If you like it, I love it!
    WOW....

I didn't find what he said presumptuous at all. What he meant was that it would be even more dead if he didn't post the links in the threads right now. If 24/7 didn't post anything, the NEST would be a ghostland of old threads and old replys.

Personally, I come on here once a day or maybe in the afternoon and in the afternoon has the same old posts as the morning. Not much action going on, but I knew it would be like this.

I find it presumptious to make any statement of the sort you made when we have 10 years of history here and you are a newcomer
    Why does it matter how long he's been here for? I've seen more out of him in his short time here than I have from most here, even the Contributors and owners. No real need for a statement like this.

@DatPurpleHornet

The off-season is always dull, save ridiculous trade ideas. This year though, it's like watching TV with your back turned and the mute button pressed.
    Cats don't feel comfortable on bicycles.... no matter how much duct tape you use.

Sengir, I think your does apprase those folks who's rather not see that thread. It fails to appease those those who want them in the Nest, which I think was the idea of the alliance between the sites Joe initiated and we worked out (alliance is my word).

What if it didn't have a 247 tag?
    To me personally, it isn't really bothersome, but maybe the 24/7 tag does make them stand out more than they should, maybe using the news tag might be more interesting if, like you said, you don't want the 24/7 stuff standing seperate from the forum.

Blog Entries
    The reality of the situation is that right now we are in the very beginning phases of integrating these two sites. It's going to be hard to really tell what is working and what isn't until we get H247 and the board fully up and running again, which can only happen when the lockout ends.

Feedback is absolutely crucial in proceeding, especially when the lockout does end, and I really hope that everyone feel comfortable talking productively about any problems that they have.

The Hornets247 news gets updated around 3 times a day during free agency, the draft, and the season. 42 posts all the small stuff in a daily update, and either he or someone else puts the big, important, breaking stuff with its own headline. In addition to that we put up around 2 articles per day on the blog (a pre-game and a post-game, or 2 other random things on non-game days).

So that winds up being around 5 threads a day, which in an ideal world I would like to have posted here as soon as they are published. We really try not to post useless stuff over there, but there just isn't anything particularly useful right now.

Simply posting articles as threads may not be the ideal way to do it, but until we really see things in action it's hard to write it off as dominating the forum. As people have said, it's not like a daily digest of NBA happenings is causing others to not bring up topics of conversation. There's just nothing to really say.

Truly I don't read all of the digest every day, but during the season it really is all encompassing. Give it a 30 second scan once in a while and you might find a juicy little tidbit that tickles your fancy. 42 links to everything Hornets related there is.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy
    WOW....

I didn't find what he said presumptuous at all. What he meant was that it would be even more dead if he didn't post the links in the threads right now. If 24/7 didn't post anything, the NEST would be a ghostland of old threads and old replys.

Personally, I come on here once a day or maybe in the afternoon and in the afternoon has the same old posts as the morning. Not much action going on, but I knew it would be like this.

Why does it matter how long he's been here for? I've seen more out of him in his short time here than I have from most here, even the Contributors and owners. No real need for a statement like this.
    So, you feel the need to wade into this discussion? You'd make an excellent moderator - on someone else's site.

I actually enjoy reading 42's stuff, but as Gerrity says above, putting the materials from both sites together in a way that flows well will take some doing.

And you have proven my point in some ways. A lot of our regulars are not posting. We can speculate all day about why that is. I have my own ideas.

Sometimes there are already posts talking about the articles you link to, and then I click on your link only to find the same stuff and I get really angry because I'm never getting that 5 seconds of my life back.

As has already been said, a daily article roundup thread will not be a problem when there is a normal flow of activity on the site.

That is true, BP225. When I see something here first, I usually call it out by that article. If it's been posted and I didn't notice it, I don't. I don't think I've ever had an 'only Hornets Report' day, thought maybe the stuff of interest to you is not fresh, a near rehash, etc. As far it being infuriating... Click only at risk? I'm not really sure how to determine how a link will appeal to each person's taste and tailor the post to communicate all of those determinations. I think most of the internet is click at risk... This is no more 'risky' than searching with google and seeing nothing new.

I'm not sure how to fix that because it's not generated for folks who follow this or other sites closely, like some on 247 and here. It's there for folks who want a quick hit on the 'page 2' stuff.

I agree 100% that there is a 'better way'. I'm not sure there's one today, though. Communicating like this will make a difference in the end, so this is great. Really. It may not be 'your idea' or 'my idea', but the more we all talk about it, the better the end product will be.

In a way, it's best to test all this during the lockout so things are smoother when they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    So, you feel the need to wade into this discussion? You'd make an excellent moderator - on someone else's site.
    Truthfully, have no idea what you are talking about lol. I have trouble moderating myself, no need in me moderating others

I "waded" into this discussion b/c I felt the comment was unnecessary and you were probably taking what 42 said out of context a bit. So yeah, I felt the need to "wade" in, seems like everyone else waded in with no issues or complaints. Plus its the hottest thread on HR at the moment, had to join in

As far it being infuriating
    I was being sarcastic about that bit. No one should be bothered by the H247 threads. They are clearly labeled and easy to avoid if they aren't your cup of tea.

Me, too, man. If we aren't having fun, then we have lost our way.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Personally I love this forum even more since 247 and it kinda joined together. 42 and his posse have brought articles, meaningful discussion and thought provoking topics to a forum almost as off as the offseason. It does seem like they are overloading the forum but I blame us for not posting any topics waaay more than I blame them for posting their articles. It's sad to see such a drought on such a fun forum but I look forward to the days to where our ideas and 42's articles mingle. They can't stay locked out forever, right?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    [QUOTE=NOhornets]I think the 24/7 articles will blend in fine once the season starts up.

QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

The Franchise    Contributor   

I already don't like my own suggestions. moving some of the stuff to a seperate area does run counter to the idea of joining the sites. But it does seem like the majority of the problem is due to the fact that there is nothing else going on...

Blog Entries
    I'd like to say I will bring more to the conversation, but just about anything I think is thread worthy I'll probably just write about on h247. That probably doesn't help out with this problem we're having too much.

When we get a new CBA, a new owner, and a new season, things are going to get awesome. I feel like I'm waiting for Christmas, but nobody can tell me what day it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy
    Truthfully, have no idea what you are talking about lol. I have trouble moderating myself, no need in me moderating others

I "waded" into this discussion b/c I felt the comment was unnecessary and you were probably taking what 42 said out of context a bit. So yeah, I felt the need to "wade" in, seems like everyone else waded in with no issues or complaints. Plus its the hottest thread on HR at the moment, had to join in
    Who cares what you felt was necessary or not? I certainly don't. etc.....

I felt it was necessary. We have a long history here with rock solid members. Of course, many of these people aren't around right now. I suppose we can speculate as to why. The lockout is a fine place to start.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Maybe if there was some sort of stickied thread for 24/7 news posts. Maybe a special side forum like Gerry V has.

Just a suggestion.

And...yeah, football is king right now. Just about everyone knows the NBA lockout's gonna stretch on. A shame at the general apathy towards to the NBA that if we lost it for a season, no one would really hurt for it, so long as football is unblemished.

A side benefit should be that college b-ball will take center stage for our competitive basketball fix at least, and maybe not just during every March.

Thread Information