Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornet FG% from various distances

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

Hornet FG% from various distances

-The Hornets ave 19 fg att's @ the rim...league ave is 24.

- The fg% from 15ft or closer is 53.4%...ave 23/43

- 16ft to 23ft...38%

- 3ball....27.5

- Rank 22 in total Fg's made
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Looking fwd to Gordon and Henry

I look fwd to seeing how Gordon alters the stats I listed in my previous post. Evaluating Xavier Henry is also something I will do. I want to see if he has something that will separate him from the other wings.Will have to allow him a cluster of games as he adapts to "real game speed"

Last night vs Dallas was another display of intense performances (watched it again when I got home)that lacked the ability to make uncontested shot..... FREE THROWS! Missed 11 of 'em.... Devastated the finish.

The team attacked and battled last night and missed out on a chance to get a win at home while Dallas was missing Dirk.

we just hope gordon is ok to play...that is not a given at this point

Here is a post from Ryan Schwan related to the topic . . . it's from a week ago, though, so the numbers are slightly out of date:

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/...hot-selection/

Excerpt:

Grim. That’s what the offensive numbers are. I don’t need to tell you how painful it is to watch these guys struggle to score night in and night out. Still, here’s a few tidbits that you may not have known. The Hornets’ skill on the offensive glass (They snatch 30.72% of available offensive rebounds, good for 2nd in the league) allows them to avoid the ultimate distinction of offensive futility: The worst offense in the league.

How do I know it’s this bad? Because the Hornets XeFG% is dead last in the league, at 46%. Now, you might ask, what is XeFG%? It’s a nifty stat that calculates the expected effective field goal percentage of the Hornets. Essentially, it tells you that if the Hornets shoot at an average rate for the league from the same spots on the floor, they should score points as if they were shooting 46%(This value takes into account 3-point shooting too. Nifty, eh?). In other words, the Hornets would average about .92 points per shot. For those that don’t know, that’s terrible, and it’s dead last in the league.

XeFG% was created by some dazed eye dude reading a crop circles.......TSFG% and efg% are better....i've been keeping them for a few years now with our stat guy..we chart eff per pos....AND WE CONSIDER PACE...WE ALSO CHART DEF EFF FOR EVERY GAME....SLOW PACE #30 coupled with low scoring and taking and making less shots...not getting enough off. return per trip to due NO THREE BALL ATTACK...34% fg% 16ft and beyond tells us we lack the long ball ( like no homeruns or big pass in football)....

Now look at skills per position.....what skills are lacking?

Is there enough space on this thing to list them all?

I think XeFG brings one of many decent perspectives by which to judge your own numbers, but checking TS% eFG% are both key. Key.

And yeah, team just lack enough of that talent to either make the shots reliably (40% 4 of 5 nights, less than 30% the other night), or enough guys who can hit it well on some nights who we can cycle though to find the hot hand (3 guys who can hit 40% 2 of 5 nights).

I miss alley oops, as well. Maybe Gustavo will get a hankering for those.

As far as pace goes, to me the slow pace is a strategic advantage for weaker offensives teams. As attempts mount, the odds and percentages just catch up to you, like death. In the short run, the coin can come up in your favor several times in a row, however.

Regardless of the physical pace, I'm surprised out team turnovers don't have us higher up in pace relative to other teams.

Thread Information